Towing 2018 Audi A4

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
OK - my son was driving back from school and stopping to see his sister at Ft. Bragg, NC. While turning into her complex, he hit a pot hole and it blew out both right side tires. Much to his dismay it also bent both rims. So, we live in East Tennessee and I need to get him back here. One option I was thinking of was renting a trailer from U-Haul and towing him back. Now, I have to get a trailer that lifts all 4 tires off the ground as his Audi is All Wheel Drive. My question: I have a stock 2019 JLU Rubicon. No lift or bigger tires - just stock. Can I pull it safely? I would have to go over the Smokey Mountains ask well coming through Western NC
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Why do you need to get all four wheels off of the ground. If you move one of the left side tires to the right side you may be able to get it onto a dolly and tow it more easily than trying to load it onto a trailer.

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Why do you need to get all four wheels off of the ground. If you move one of the left side tires to the right side you may be able to get it onto a dolly and tow it more easily than trying to load it onto a trailer.
I will admit that I am little ignorant when it comes to towing - would it be OK to tow an all wheel drive car with just the front wheels off the ground? If so, that would make it easier. Would my Jeep be able to handle that weight?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Adventure.AS

Were your JL in a similar state, I'd like to hear how you would get your JL to the dealer/shop.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will admit that I am little ignorant when it comes to towing - would it be OK to tow an all wheel drive car with just the front wheels off the ground? If so, that would make it easier. Would my Jeep be able to handle that weight?
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy two rims and two tires there and drive the Audi home.
You are going to have to buy the items somewhere... might just as well be in NC.

You are founded in your concern in regard to towing a 4 wheel drive vehicle with wheels on the ground. I am not familiar with the Audi so ...

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy two rims and two tires there and drive the Audi home.
You are going to have to buy the items somewhere... might just as well be in NC.

You are founded in your concern in regard to towing a 4 wheel drive vehicle with wheels on the ground. I am not familiar with the Audi so ...
It might be more cost effective to do that - but I am also thinking about time. He is kind of stuck in NC right now and will most likely end up putting 4 new wheels and tires on it (replacement stock wheels are really expensive). It will take a few days to get them to him and he only has a limited amount of time before he has to report to Ft. Sill, OK. Trying to understand all the options so we can make an educated decision.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure of your point. You can't dolly tow a JLU. I have no idea about an Audi A4, thus the advice to check the manual.
@Adventure.AS

Right, you need to transport a JL on a flatbed per the manual.. Many JL owner's do not know this. I'd say this is the case with the all wheel drive Audi ... OP, is rightfully concerned and yes, read the manual/research the issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might be more cost effective to do that - but I am also thinking about time. He is kind of stuck in NC right now and will most likely end up putting 4 new wheels and tires on it (replacement stock wheels are really expensive). It will take a few days to get them to him and he only has a limited amount of time before he has to report to Ft. Sill, OK. Trying to understand all the options so we can make an educated decision.

@whiterubicon

To me, best bet really is to do the rims and tires in NC and drive it home..

? .... does your Son have car rental on his vehicle? Have him rent a car. Then get the tires/rims and fix the Audi and get it home.

p.s. I have a Son stationed at Ft. Bragg right now... 8-)

Sponsored

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I do have "ADH - Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" - is that the Max Tow package that you talked about?

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
@whiterubicon

To me, best bet really is to do the rims and tires in NC and drive it home..

? .... does your Son have car rental on his vehicle? Have him rent a car. Then get the tires/rims and fix the Audi and get it home.

p.s. I have a Son stationed at Ft. Bragg right now... 8-)
Congrats on your son - both of my kids are Army, as was I. We might have him rent a car - just trying to explore all options.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on your son - both of my kids are Army, as was I. We might have him rent a car - just trying to explore all options.
@whiterubicon

My Son is NAVY (Lifer with 16 in) and stationed at Ft. Bragg right now... Yup.. NAVY.....

I know why you have angst.... you are trying to do the right thing .... it's always something....

Thank's to your guy/gal for their service...

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Finally found a copy of the owners manual - and while it is vague - it does state that all 4 wheels need to be off he ground

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
You should double check to see if U-haul will rent you a trailer. They have policies about not renting if you’re vehicle is not rated for the amount of weight you’re towing and their trailers are heavy. I’ve also heard that they won’t rent to soft tops. I think some locations are more strict than others.
Sponsored