Sponsored

Tow Rating Questions & Confusion

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Hi all,

My head is literally spinning after reading so much information regarding tow capacities and various numbers. My wife and I have been searching for a trailer for a long time and finally came across one that checked all the boxes but was just barely outside of the official Wrangler limits. We had to drive a bit to see it and fell in love and negotiated a deal on it. We don't pick it up for a few days so have been using this time to double down on research specifically against this trailers specifications.

Our Wranglers tow ratings (2021 4XE Rubicon):
  • 3500lbs GVWR capacity
  • 350lbs hitch weight capacity

Our travel trailers specs: (1700BH model)
  • 3280lbs UVW (dry)
  • 4200lbs GVWR (fully loaded)
  • 380lbs hitch weight
We have also purchased a weight distribution system and brake controller.

We will almost always be towing dry on long trips and with minimal cargo, most of which will be inside the jeep considering the tongue is already loaded at it's limit, but would balance the load as necessary. Obviously the loaded weight is well over the limit but this should only be when were hooked up at a campsite, not towing. The one number that has me concerned is the hitch weight, being 30lbs over the limit even when dry. If I understand correctly, the WDS will effectively increase the hitch weight capability, but shouldn't really think of it like that and just go by the official limit. The other thing I draw a bit of comfort from is knowing that the European version of our Jeeps are rated at being able to tow something like 5500lbs GVWR and 440lbs hitch weight (not exactly sure on those numbers but I know it's more than our US versions). Again, not using that as an excuse to be able to buy a larger trailer here, still trying to stay within spec at all costs, but being 30lbs over on hitch weight is driving me nuts. I know there are others on this forum who are towing much larger trailers and have had a lot of success. We just want to be safe and feel completely confident when towing this trailer behind the jeep.

Looking for folks to either tell me I'm crazy for towing this close to the limits or to tell me I'm totally fine. Any advice is welcome!

UPDATE 8/30:

Thanks all. Swallowed my pride and went with something that we’d be completely comfortable towing and also something we wouldn’t have to worry making a claim on considering it’s totally within the limits. It’s not as pretty but will be safe and get us through till the next one.

KZ Sportsman Classic 130RB

Still have a weight distribution & anti sway hitch being included in this setup. Definitely going to upgrade the tires & wheels though🤮
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I will not attest to your mental state, but if you do this, I would highly recommend a set of air bags. That is a lot of tongue weight on a Jeep.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Also, if this is new at a dealership, and they are doing their due diligence, they will not allow you to tow it off the lot if the trailer exceeds the vehicle tow specifications.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Added a pic of that model trailer.
Keep in mind your tongue weight will increase from 380lbs as you load the trailer with food, water, and gear. The trailer tongue weight also needs to be included in your total vehicle weight so you can’t put much, if any camping gear in the Jeep either or you’ll be over your GVWR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion E0EDAEEE-8A5B-4383-9AB7-7CE4DEADEBA9

I nearly became a statistic pulling a small enclosed u-haul trailer with a half ton pickup truck. I was going slow, and doing just fine until a semi passed me. It was terrifying and I was extremely lucky.

More recently I watched a video where 1-ton Silverado pulling an Airstream had their receiver break away at the welds. They were just leaving a camp site going up a hill and heard a bang, then saw their trailer going backwards away from their truck down the hill.

The emergency brakes on the trailer never kicked in because the breakaway cable was connected to the chain loop, which went with the trailer when the receiver broke. The way the receiver broke was unusual and the trailer was well within the rated capacity. The video was highlighting the importance of connecting the breakaway cable to something other than the receiver.

If that can happen to a class IV hitch, it is certainly within the realm of possibilities for our chanky, bolted to a crossmember, afterthought of a hitch receiver. I’m pretty sure ours are rated as a class II hitch, don’t let the 2 1/2” square tube lull you into thinking it’s stronger than what the factory rated it as. Just take a look at how it’s connected.

I came from several full sized diesel pickups, pulling 24 to 32 foot, 2 or 3 axle beasts. I am regularly frustrated by the ridiculously low cargo capacity of these otherwise awesome Jeeps.

So could you do it? Yes.
Will it handle well? Probably not.

In summary: I think that is too much trailer to pull safely with a Wrangler. Attempting to do so is betting against the odds.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Added a pic of that model trailer.
Keep in mind your tongue weight will increase from 380lbs as you load the trailer with food, water, and gear. The trailer tongue weight also needs to be included in your total vehicle weight so you can’t put much, if any camping gear in the Jeep either or you’ll be over your GVWR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion E0EDAEEE-8A5B-4383-9AB7-7CE4DEADEBA9

I nearly became a statistic pulling a small enclosed u-haul trailer with a half ton pickup truck. I was going slow, and doing just fine until a semi passed me. It was terrifying and I was extremely lucky.

More recently I watched a video where 1-ton Silverado pulling an Airstream had their receiver break away at the welds. They were just leaving a camp site going up a hill and heard a bang, then saw their trailer going backwards away from their truck down the hill.

The emergency brakes on the trailer never kicked in because the breakaway cable was connected to the chain loop, which went with the trailer when the receiver broke. The way the receiver broke was unusual and the trailer was well within the rated capacity. The video was highlighting the importance of connecting the breakaway cable to something other than the receiver.

If that can happen to a class IV hitch, it is certainly within the realm of possibilities for our chanky, bolted to a crossmember, afterthought of a hitch receiver. I’m pretty sure ours are rated as a class II hitch, don’t let the 2 1/2” square tube lull you into thinking it’s stronger than what the factory rated it as. Just take a look at how it’s connected.

I came from several full sized diesel pickups, pulling 24 to 32 foot, 2 or 3 axle beasts. I am regularly frustrated by the ridiculously low cargo capacity of these otherwise awesome Jeeps.

So could you do it? Yes.
Will it handle well? Probably not.

In summary: I think that is too much trailer to pull safely with a Wrangler. Attempting to do so is betting against the odds.
Completely agree, I would not tow a trailer that size with a Jeep. You don't actually see too many real Jeeps towing with the exception of Jet Skis or very small utility traliers. What you will see when it comes to towing accidents is a Cherokee or other small SUV as the tow vehicle. You can never underestimate the mechanical advantage a trailer can easily gain over the tow vehicle. Be very careful or get a full-size truck.

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Interestingly my hitch, fitted by the dealer as an option here in Australia, looks exactly the same as (and mounts the same as) the US fitted ones yet comes with a different set of ratings, substantially higher then the US. The JK was the same and they have been towing heavier loads for years. From the Aussie website, even the pic is a US one, we run a flat 7 pin plug.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion 1630239969790

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a decent video talking about trailer stability. Around the 5:40 mark he talks about sway characteristics in relation to speed.

@Steve F out of curiosity, what is the typical speed limit in Australia? Here in the US it used to be 65 mph (~104 kph) on the freeway was the norm but now 70-75 mph (112-120 kph) is pretty common.

Speed is key, we could probably drag a mobil home across the US if we’re in 4lo but it won’t be a pleasant experience. Likewise, pulling a camper that is so large you have to stay at 55 mph or below while cars are flying past, honking, and flipping you off you’re going to hate it.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
@Steve F out of curiosity, what is the typical speed limit in Australia? Here in the US it used to be 65 mph (~104 kph) on the freeway was the norm but now 70-75 mph (112-120 kph) is pretty common.

Speed is key, we could probably drag a mobil home across the US if we’re in 4lo but it won’t be a pleasant experience. Likewise, pulling a camper that is so large you have to stay at 55 mph or below while cars are flying past, honking, and flipping you off you’re going to hate it.
Typically our freeway speed limits are 110kph but in the Northern Territory there are some more remote sections of hwy with a 130kph limit. Some tow at these speeds some substantially slower, my setup will do the speed limit all day but the camper has a max weight of 1600kg (3527lb) but is typically closer to 1200kg (2645lb) with around 160kg (350lb) tow ball weight. I do run airbags in the back of the Jeep and an electronic brake controller as this is a requirement if the trailer is over 750kg.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typically our freeway speed limits are 110kph but in the Northern Territory there are some more remote sections of hwy with a 130kph limit. Some tow at these speeds some substantially slower, my setup will do the speed limit all day but the camper has a max weight of 1600kg (3527lb) but is typically closer to 1200kg (2645lb) with around 160kg (350lb) tow ball weight. I do run airbags in the back of the Jeep and an electronic brake controller as this is a requirement if the trailer is over 750kg.
Wow you Aussies don’t mess around!
Maybe it’s something else or maybe big brother trusts you guys more than us.

in other news… a bucket list item of mine is to throw the Jeep in a cargo container, ship it there, and go drive around Australia. Me and you need to talk! ;)

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Here is my trailer. My loaded is 3518 but dry is 2700. I can say loaded the Jeep tows it just the same as it does empty. I set the cruise at 65 because that’s what I feel comfortable at and it tows so straight. I will say you think you won’t add things to it but you will. You will find it’s easier to load things up rather than waiting till you get there. You also will find adding one thing here and one thing there adds up quick. 5 20lb things add up.
So can you tow more than what it’s rated for yes 100% do I recommend it. From a legal stand point 100% no, if you crash you’re screwed no insurance will cover it, if they find out you’re over weight, if you involve someone else other than you that’s even worse. The hitch is only held on by 4 bolts and it’s not even sitting on anything. My trailer is the same length as yours and they make lighter ones with a bunk house configuration. To sum it up find one that will fall under the weight limit there are plenty of them out there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion C2A5E9B3-7A76-4386-8086-4AF678976759

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Wow you Aussies don’t mess around!
Maybe it’s something else or maybe big brother trusts you guys more than us.

in other news… a bucket list item of mine is to throw the Jeep in a cargo container, ship it there, and go drive around Australia. Me and you need to talk! ;)
You'd love it, it still amazes me when we get off of the coast or out of the cities, it's like another world. This is from a trip we did to the most Northern tip of Australia, the headlights say it all :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion DSCF0291.JPG

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'd love it, it still amazes me when we get off of the coast or out of the cities, it's like another world. This is from a trip we did to the most Northern tip of Australia, the headlights say it all :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Rating Questions & Confusion DSCF0291.JPG
Stop tempting me man! I can’t go yet! Lol

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Brandonjjon

There is towing and there is safe/sane towing...

Unfortunately, I say no in regard to your JLU dealing with/towing that trailer....

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The problem with exceeding towing limits is that you forget that the trailer is constantly pushing and twisting back. Bad things happen when you become the trailer.
Then there’s the liability aspect…..keep searching

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I will not attest to your mental state, but if you do this, I would highly recommend a set of air bags. That is a lot of tongue weight on a Jeep.
Air bags are not the solution!

You can have a good hitch shop strengthen your receiver so that it can withstand the twisting stress (fore and aft) that a weight distribution hitch creates.

Check out this video showing that air bags don't help with weight distribution (but can only help to level the tow vehicle.)

Sponsored