Sponsored

Tow Hook suggestion for stuck vehicle

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Daughters Subaru is stuck in a small culvert in my driveway. We just got plowed out after 4 feet of snow and I have room to pull her car out with my 2 door Rubi. I have a nylon tow rope rated at 8,000 lbs with steel tow hooks. My question is would it be better to hook from the back of my jeep or front? This should be a very easy pull as the vehicle is just over the culvert and with someone driving forward with me pulling should pop out easy. Also with the tow hooks on the tow strap being metal, how can I avoid scratching up the beautiful red
Tow hooks on my Rubi.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I assume you don’t have a hitch to pull from. You could probably cut the finger off off an old leather work glove and use it to envelope the tow strap hook.

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I assume you don’t have a hitch. That you could pull from. You could probably cut the finger off off an old leather work glove and use it to envelope the tow strap hook.
Thanks.. actually on further inspection o can just hook onto the steel loop next to my hitch. So all good and I don’t even have to use my red tow hooks 👍

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The facts thats that you’re using a strap with hooks on it, you’re worried about scratching your red hooks and you’re using your trailer safety chain connection points for vehicle recovery tells me you should just call a tow truck

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
The facts thats that you’re using a strap with hooks on it, you’re worried about scratching you’re red hooks and you’re using you’re trailer safety chain connection points for vehicle recovery tells me you should just call a tow truck
Nah.. I’ll improvise.. like the gent said above.. I could easily rig something to avoid any metal on metal contact on my rig. Half the fun is experimenting.. LOL

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Always pull from the back when you can, front axle has weaker parts and can break. Friend of mine broke front axle universal at wheel pulling from the front.

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Always pull from the back when you can, front axle has weaker parts and can break. Friend of mine broke front axle universal at wheel pulling from the front.
Thanks.. that’s my plan.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d go to Harbor Freight and pick up a proper recovery strap for $30. You won’t have to worry about scratches, and you can keep it in the Jeep afterwards.

Who knows, you may find several other Subarus stuck... ;)

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I’m happy to report.. my daughters car is out. I simply knotted the tow hook end to create a loop on the rear red tow hook. Used metal hook on the Subaru, gave the Rubi a little gas and out of the culvert with absolute ease. Thanks everyone.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t mean to sound like a dick but vehicle recovery is not something to mess around with, here’s a jeep where recovery went very, very wrong.
I’m not positive on the back story but remember hearing the driver was either killed or knocked unconscious and hit the throttle until the Jeep hit something to stop it from moving.
If you look closely at the picture you can see a hook or steel ring on the end of the strap by the front tire.
I also had a friend tell about a recovery he witnessed about 20 years ago where he had a broken tow ball fly between him and a lady he was talking to.

None the less, bad things can happen.
55DF4815-EB7A-4C83-81C8-4C7C0A56B23A.jpeg

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I don’t mean to sound like a dick but vehicle recovery is not something to mess around with, here’s a jeep where recovery went very, very wrong.
I’m not positive on the back story but remember hearing the driver was either killed or knocked unconscious and hit the throttle until the Jeep hit something to stop it from moving.
If you look closely at the picture you can see a hook or steel ring on the end of the strap by the front tire.
I also had a friend tell about a recovery he witnessed about 20 years ago where he had a broken tow ball fly between him and a lady he was talking to.

None the less, bad things can happen.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tow Hook suggestion for stuck vehicle 55DF4815-EB7A-4C83-81C8-4C7C0A56B23A
Yeah I can see how it could be dangerous. In this instance it was a very simple tug so the Subaru could get traction out of my driveways culvert. My plow guy who also has a towing service suggested the nylon tow strap. Anything more involved and I would have called him. It was very convenient having my 2 dr Rubi in this situation vs a full body pickup as the snow mounds didn’t provide much room to maneuver.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Never pull backwards unless absolutely necessary, and then only if it's a easy pull. Differential gears are cut for strength in a foward direction, not reverse. Pulling too hard in reverse risks damaging your diff gears.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
I’m happy to report.. my daughters car is out. I simply knotted the tow hook end to create a loop on the rear red tow hook. Used metal hook on the Subaru, gave the Rubi a little gas and out of the culvert with absolute ease. Thanks everyone.
What a wasted opportunity! This creates the perfect justification for the wench to go out and buy a winch. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Seriously, glad it went easy and safely. Some great points on safety in this thread.

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
What a wasted opportunity! This creates the perfect justification for the wench to go out and buy a winch. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Seriously, glad it went easy and safely. Some great points on safety in this thread.
Funny you mention. My plow guy actually said “ how do you not have a winch on that thing” ..Christmas gift??? LOL
Sponsored