Sponsored

Tow capacity on the AU Model

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I've read many posts about towing, and there are many reasons stated on why the JLU has such low towing capacity, but don't necessary find them all very convincing.

The JLU is rated with tow capacity of up to 3500 lbs. There are many theories and here is my summary, and let me know that you think?

The Short wheelbase: Many suggested that it's the short wheelbase. Yes, this is no F150, but let's compare that to the Durango which is rated 6200 lbs in towing capacity. (The SRT is rated 8700 lbs w/ the same 119.8" WB)

2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6 vs 2018 Durango 3.6
WB: 118.4" vs 119.8"
Track: 64.4" vs 63.9"(F)/64.1"(R)
Weight: 4390 lbs vs 4985 lbs
Height: 73.6" vs 70.9"

PS: Tow capacity of the Jeep LWB (LJ)? is rated to tow 3500 lbs. (WB 103.4", Curb Weight 3694 Lbs) https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2006-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited__2dr_4x4_LWB/specs/

Tongue weight & hitch strength. In terms of Towing Capacity/Tongue Weight, the UK version is rated 4400lbs/440lbs. AU is even higher rated 2495kg with speed limit set to 60mph max. I know sway would be an issue when traveling at higher speed, but it seems the hitch isn't the limiting factor. Do we have someone with the knowledge on how much additional stress is put on the Jeep Hitch when travel at speed faster than 60mph with a tow?

We know the engine isn't the limiting factor or the Wrangler diesel would have be able to tow more.

So, other factor which may affect the tow capacity are:
Brakes: So, we can solve this by upgrading the brakes (Powerstop Brakes?)
Suspensions: (Better shocks?)
Frame: Consider the amount of stress with the bigger tires and off road, I just don't think that's a limiting factor.
Tires: Maybe tires with better grip would improve tow capability?

If this is marketing related, I have a feeling the next Wrangler will have a higher tow capacity to complete with the Ford Bronco. What do you think?
Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
There is a standardized tow test mfg use to come up with tow ratings.

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a standardized tow test mfg use to come up with tow ratings.
Thanks, I actually read the SAE J2807 here: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/ , but I am unable to find a breakdown on what preventing the Wrangler from obtaining a higher than 3500 lbs tow capacity rating. The brakes, acceleration?. I feel like the same applies to how we mod. our Jeep with bigger tires followed by upgrading the axles with bigger brakes and higher Final Gear to re-gain power and safety.

I've seen post suggesting they won't tow anything heavier than 2000 lbs because of the weight and the short wheelbase of the JLU. It just don't think that's the case. Some people don't trust the hitch, because it's mounted with just 4 bolts, but then the same type of hitch is setup with the same Jeep oversea with a higher Tongue weight, etc.
So, what do you think our JLU lag which prevents it from towing a heavier load?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I think it has something to do with the factory suspension. My JLUR would nearly do a wheelie when my camper was on the hitch without a WDH. I recently lifted it and found that it crouches much less than before (almost none).

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it has something to do with the factory suspension. My JLUR would nearly do a wheelie when my camper was on the hitch without a WDH. I recently lifted it and found that it crouches much less than before (almost none).
Good to know, I finally have my Brake Controller Installed today, my next is purchasing my 1st trailer.
Sponsored