NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi JL Forum!

I am in the market for my first wrangler. To make a long story short, I purchased a 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro that ended up being a lemon and is being bought back by Toyota. After that experience, I decided to pursue a JL Rubicon Unlimited.

My family started "overlanding" when we got the truck back in October and really enjoy it. The Rubicon seems like the way to go given the lockers.

I am having an extremely difficult time finding the options I want in a Rubicon without making some sort of sacrifice on options or color. I know I can order a Jeep and it'll arrive - sometime -. However, I conduct the vehicle surrender this Saturday and am scrambling to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for color matched hard top/fenders, leather (prefer brown), safety & advanced safety, LEDs, Tow group/Aux switches, Cold weather group, and 3.6 V6. Its as though every vehicle around here is missing one of those options, or non color matched, or the 4cyl turbo.

Any one else run into this problem and had to settle for the wrong color or option set?
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
If you can't find what you want on a lot then you may want to consider a Factory Order.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

I wanted a 2 door manual with a few very specific options. Was having a hard time finding anything like it on any lot so went with the Factory Order route. Placed my order about two months ago and expect it to arrive at my dealer by end of this month. Been a wait but I will be getting exactly what I wanted: model, drivetrain, color, and all options.

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you can't find what you want on a lot then you may want to consider a Factory Order.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

I wanted a 2 door manual with a few very specific options. Was having a hard time finding anything like it on any lot so went with the Factory Order route. Placed my order about two months ago and expect it to arrive at my dealer by end of this month. Been a wait but I will be getting exactly what I wanted: model, drivetrain, color, and all options.
Thanks for the input. I'd love to be able to do that. However, since I'm going to be without a vehicle come Saturday (turning in my loaner and collecting my check), I'll need a vehicle relatively quick. Once they lift the restrictions around COVID in my area, I'll be back in the office. I'm almost positive I can't wait 3 months or I would. In a normal situation this wouldn't be a problem.

It seems I'll just have to sacrifice in some area or another. I'm thinking private seller (2 I am considering - both are close to what I'd order), or finding a CPO (another close by is also close to what I'd order) or new (same story, missing something or is a non preferred color). All of my possibilities are either missing one of the following: color matched top, advanced safety group, or the tow/aux package.

These aren't the end of the world, but I figured for the amount of money they cost, getting what I wanted is a good idea. I'm new to the world of buying Jeeps, the amount of options on these things is insane! Toyota doesn't have that going on at all. Just different trim levels and they come with what they come with, just a matter of finding the right color/price.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I would buy a $4K beater to drive and order the Jeep you want the way you want it!

I was exactly in the same situation as you! I wanted a rubicon diesel, Sarge green, leather, black top but painted fenders and every option possible (led, aux, 8.4", heated seats, keyless, adaptive cruise, front camera etc)

I bought a $8K 4Runner that i drove for 6 months and sold for $8K after the Jeep arrived.. :P

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would buy a $4K beater to drive and order the Jeep you want the way you want it!

I was exactly in the same situation as you! I wanted a rubicon diesel, Sarge green, leather, black top but painted fenders and every option possible (led, aux, 8.4", heated seats, keyless, adaptive cruise, front camera etc)

I bought a $8K 4Runner that i drove for 6 months and sold for $8K after the Jeep arrived.. :P
I've been honestly considering that myself. I had a lead on a 99 4Runner but the guy raised his price from 4500 to 5900 after he did "research". So I passed on it. Perhaps I'll reach back out to him in a couple weeks to see if he still has it and is willing to deal on it.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind scoring a older NA miata which would be fun. I can probably get one nice enough to keep around and use as a 2 and from work car to keep miles off the JL.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

This^.... OP don’t settle on somebody’s used crap that’s missing something you want. It’ll bother you forever. If you can afford a factory order time goes so fast anyway. You’ll pick up your own baby that day, it’ll have that unique new car smell, 5 miles on the odometer and every option you want. There’s no thrill like it. Nice weather is coming I’d even consider a motorcycle and Uber for rainy days.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
This^.... OP don’t settle on somebody’s used crap that’s missing something you want. It’ll bother you forever. If you can afford a factory order time goes so fast anyway. You’ll pick up your own baby that day, it’ll have that unique new car smell, 5 miles on the odometer and every option you want. There’s no thrill like it. Nice weather is coming I’d even consider a motorcycle and Uber for rainy days.
^^^This^^^

Get a cheap beater and order exactly what you want.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You could buy a cheap beater, or try renting a car ... you’ll spend a lot on the rental (more than your new jeep payment most likely) but we’re only talking a few months and trust me, you’ll really regret settling for a jeep you don’t want. Much better to get exactly what you want from the factory.

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Get a budget or thrifty car rental for 45 days. Should equal out to a small monthly jeep payment.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Hi JL Forum!

I am in the market for my first wrangler. To make a long story short, I purchased a 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro that ended up being a lemon and is being bought back by Toyota. After that experience, I decided to pursue a JL Rubicon Unlimited.

My family started "overlanding" when we got the truck back in October and really enjoy it. The Rubicon seems like the way to go given the lockers.

I am having an extremely difficult time finding the options I want in a Rubicon without making some sort of sacrifice on options or color. I know I can order a Jeep and it'll arrive - sometime -. However, I conduct the vehicle surrender this Saturday and am scrambling to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for color matched hard top/fenders, leather (prefer brown), safety & advanced safety, LEDs, Tow group/Aux switches, Cold weather group, and 3.6 V6. Its as though every vehicle around here is missing one of those options, or non color matched, or the 4cyl turbo.

Any one else run into this problem and had to settle for the wrong color or option set?
I made the mistake of buying a Toyota Tacoma TRD Off road...never ever again as it left me stranded and the dealer sucked. I ordered my jeep on 22 Feb. Its scheduled to ship on 3/13 from the factory. It wont take too long. I'd look at a beater or even as others suggested talking to a rental company and securing a rental for a month or so. They should work with you and you will get EXACTLY what you want. A couple weeks isnt going to kill you and the satisfaction in the long run will be worth it. But this is just my view.

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I made the mistake of buying a Toyota Tacoma TRD Off road...never ever again as it left me stranded and the dealer sucked. I ordered my jeep on 22 Feb. Its scheduled to ship on 3/13 from the factory. It wont take too long. I'd look at a beater or even as others suggested talking to a rental company and securing a rental for a month or so. They should work with you and you will get EXACTLY what you want. A couple weeks isnt going to kill you and the satisfaction in the long run will be worth it. But this is just my view.
Sounds about right haha. My tacoma never left me stranded but it had unfixable electrical issues and the dealer has been less than stellar. Never again will I buy from that place, and if tomorrow doesn't go well, I'll never buy another Toyota.

OP
OP
NomadicTaco

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR