Sponsored

Touch free wash with soft top

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
just went through a touch free wash to test it out for winter time. As it was blowing it dry some water got through the front driver side part of soft top and dripped on my arm. Seems sealed near that edge so all I can think of was just the dryer found a nook and cranny to get though? The water never came in when it was washing just during the dryer. Also curious if the wax rinse will hurt the soft top? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
just went through a touch free wash to test it out for winter time. As it was blowing it dry some water got through the front driver side part of soft top and dripped on my arm. Seems sealed near that edge so all I can think of was just the dryer found a nook and cranny to get though? The water never came in when it was washing just during the dryer. Also curious if the wax rinse will hurt the soft top? Thanks everyone!
Yeah, it’s just that crazy wind.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I prefer to use the DIY, coin operated wash. I worry that the soft top has too many seals, bumps, and folds. I scrub the body and wheels, but a light spray to the soft top. Just my way, I'm sure some will say they use the automatic was no problem.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I prefer to use the DIY, coin operated wash. I worry that the soft top has too many seals, bumps, and folds. I scrub the body and wheels, but a light spray to the soft top. Just my way, I'm sure some will say they use the automatic was no problem.
Fir sure me too but here in Michigan it gets down to zero so I’ll need an alternative in the winter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I take my soft top through a touch less wash, I just do the basic wash, no wax or extras
I accidentally did the rainx finishing wash. Will the wax ruin the soft top?

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Never had an issue with touchless washes - even going all out with rain x, wax, etc. no I’ll effects to the soft top or windows.

i would be more cautious of spraying or wiping waxes onto the soft top windows but that’s by hand... auto washes don’t apply enough wax or whatever to cause an issue in my experience

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the advice! :)

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I've been taking mine to a touchless wash every week since July 2018. The only problem I have, every time, is a few drips come down the tail gate from bottom bar on the back window. This occurs because the jets shoot water horizontally at the outside bar rubber gasket; the force allows just a bit of water to sneak through rubber as it it 'pushed' inside the tailgate. I don't even wipe it up to keep it from running behind the interior tail gate trim because it so minimal it will just evaporate.

Sponsored

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
“The only problem I have, every time, is a few drips come down the tail gate from bottom bar on the back window”
Ditto. The JL is my third Wrangler 2 door soft top. I have taken them all through touchless car washes. The only issue has been a few soapy leaks around the tailgate and with the JL at the top of the door windows.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just food for thought - since there is no friction type cleaning going on in a touch-free car wash, they must rely on much stronger cleaning agents to do the job. This often includes both acidic and alkaline chemicals that are used to release dirt and contaminants from the surface. These chemicals will generally also strip wax off the vehicle and over time may dull the clearcoat and possibly damage plastic, rubber, fabric, etc.
It's a free country and you may do what you will, but I just thought it should be mentioned.
Hand wash only for me, usually with a foam cannon and an oft rinsed mitt.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Horror story:
Last month I took my Mini to a drive through car wash. Mini people already know this is a big no no. We are the ones who park waaay at the end of the lot at the mall. Anyway, this was my third time going there and the other 2 times were OK. My Mini "Had" a bike-rack mounted on top. Usually the spinning thing that washes the top of your car would just spin and never come down to touch the car, it would just spin and throw soap and water onto my car. This time the operator who looked like a pure crackhead, gave me a really dumb "I don't give a crap" look as he was pressing the buttons to start the wash. My car gets to the spinning overhead thing and this time it comes down and start moving it's way up my car from the nose, to the hood , then to the roof. It gets to the roof and starts rattling my entire car. Then it gets hung on my bike rack, ant starts to make a loud vibrating racket (hydraulics locking). Next, I see smoke starting to fill the wash area. Everything stops and they tell me to drive out. I get out of the car to see my bike rack, which runs horizontal to the roof, has been bent to point directly up to the sky. They guy who processed my car was fired on the spot. I passed him as I was walking in the door to speak with the manager. The manager stated "That was not supposed to happen" and that the operator pressed the wrong button.

What I learned: These car washes are operated by humans and subject to human error. When you take your car to one of these places, you release control and protection of your vehicle and place it into someone else's hands. This did not have to happen, if they operator had only been paying attention to what he was doing.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Only way to assure no damage is to wash it yourself, but that’s not always easy (e.g. freezing temps).

I’ve been going to a hand wash place that’s quite good, but last time one of the guys put his pressure washer too close to one of my windows and it’s now scratched. I’m not too anal about my soft top windows and I’m sure it’ll buff out, but, yeah, shit happens.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Oh... While we are on the topic of washing. Try CarPro Reload as a wax. This stuff will have you vehicle looking better than the day you bought it. I kid you not. It is expensive but seriously worth it. Do your own research first of course.
Sponsored