Sponsored

Totalled my Jeep - starting fresh need tire recommendations (no lift!)

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After doing a bunch of research and comparision, and having to deal with a garage door height limitation, we found the 34/10.5-R17 and the AEV 2.5" lift gave us enough clearance on an empty Jeep (no cargo and almost empty gas tank). I measured the clearing, and will confirm before driving away with the Jeep, in case we need to switch tire sizes.
Sponsored

BillJeep

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Wow I really like this look...now I'm convinced that 285/75 17 is what I'm getting. :)
this looks great @SDotson52 . What is the offset of your wheels?

I am looking at the 285/75/17 Ridge Grappler with Vapor D569 Wheels Fuel Vapor D569. Problem is that i have read a few reviews saying that -12offset rubs a bit during some light articulation. I was going to go for 1mm offset, but of course no one has that in stock. Now I'm wondering if -12 may work

jawsATL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Granite Metallic Sahara
315 70 17s (34.5") on stock Sahara. My wheels are -6mm offset, no rubbing. Havent done any articulation yet, but street driving, curbs, speed bumps, etc. no problems
Jeep Wrangler JL Totalled my Jeep - starting fresh need tire recommendations (no lift!) Jeep_KO2s.PNG

SDotson52

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited S Altitude

I am looking at the 285/75/17 Ridge Grappler with Vapor D569 Wheels Fuel Vapor D569. Problem is that i have read a few reviews saying that -12offset rubs a bit during some light articulation. I was going to go for 1mm offset, but of course no one has that in stock. Now I'm wondering if -12 may work
They are -12 offset. Same wheel as @Shawn_1121 , but in grey. I haven't had any rubbing but I live in Florida, so not many chances to do that over here on the beaches. Pictures don't do justice, they look so much better and bigger in person.

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Slight change based on clearance calculations. Turns out we will be going with 285/70R17 to clear my garage opening.

I should take a sledgehammer and be done with it. :) Alas I’m renting. :.(

Not sure I understand the offset stuff, any tutorials out there?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Slight change based on clearance calculations. Turns out we will be going with 285/70R17 to clear my garage opening.

I should take a sledgehammer and be done with it. :) Alas I’m renting. :.(

Not sure I understand the offset stuff, any tutorials out there?
Offset is just the amount of space from the centerline of the wheel width, a zero offset is a wheel that has it's lug mounts right at center. A positive offset has the lugs mounted further out from the wheel center, this results in the wheel being tucked into the fender well. A negative offset wheel has the lugs mounted closer to the inner side of the wheel, resulting in pushing the wheel edge out from the fender.

If you have two 8.5" wide wheels, one is a +10, and the other is a -10, the +10 wheel will be 20mm tucked in vs. the -10 wheel.

Hope that makes sense, and this is a good link to test out different wheel/tire combos, and a good way to visualize it all :)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

BillJeep

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
They are -12 offset. Same wheel as @Shawn_1121 , but in grey. I haven't had any rubbing but I live in Florida, so not many chances to do that over here on the beaches. Pictures don't do justice, they look so much better and bigger in person.
thanks @SDotson52. I actually found the +1mm offset Vapors back in stock on Tirerack. Ordered The Machined Fuel Vapors +1mm offset and KO2 285/70/17. Should be in by the end of the month.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Offset is just the amount of space from the centerline of the wheel width, a zero offset is a wheel that has it's lug mounts right at center. A positive offset has the lugs mounted further out from the wheel center, this results in the wheel being tucked into the fender well. A negative offset wheel has the lugs mounted closer to the inner side of the wheel, resulting in pushing the wheel edge out from the fender.

If you have two 8.5" wide wheels, one is a +10, and the other is a -10, the +10 wheel will be 20mm tucked in vs. the -10 wheel.

Hope that makes sense, and this is a good link to test out different wheel/tire combos, and a good way to visualize it all :)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Wow what an incredible site!!! Looks like my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S has 44.45mm offset:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 17" OEM Wheel Rim

Punched that into the wheel-size.com link and wow:

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

The 2.5" lift will give me 1.25" more wheel clearance.

Lift got pushed back by a week, once we discovered the maximum tire size I can use with a 2.5" lift is 285/70R17.

This forum absolutely rocks!!!

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I ended up going with 285/70R17...gotta admit all these numbers are making my head spin. :)
Sponsored