First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I thank God Almighty that you and the pooch came out unscathed. Thankfully, the JL protected you. But the good part is IMO that you get to go back and get another JLUR. You are irreplaceable...
Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
Was just at Toyota in Hih Riv on Friday helping a friend pick up his Tacoma, and sat again in both the Taco and 4R, and believe me, you won’t be happy if you got the Wrangler to do Wrangler things, including driving wih the top down.

Also if you’re anything over 6ft it’s cramped in there, and the roof is in your sight-lines the whole time.

There will be more Rubis coming, it’s worth a month rental to get the right vehicle.

From experience I know it’s tough waiting, but find something that makes you happy, or you will regret it the entire time you own the compromise. Took me almost 3 weeks to find the best Wrangler I could to replace my ood Rubi, and that made me much happier than settling for a Red or Tank “it’ll do” Wrangler.
Thanks for your comment, there was a reason why I went with a rubicon and that reason stands. I am waiting to see what happens with the insurance but I put a deposit down for a fully loaded black rubicon with leather tan seats Should be here in a couple of weeks. In the meanwhile I bought an old grand cherokee zj that I can resell later after I fix as couple of things :)

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, definitely fight them.

As the saying goes, always reject insurance’s first offer, becuase they will try to low-ball.

But in this case, it’s an issue on many fronts, first the safety and future maintenance hassle, it’s not making you anywhere near ‘whole’ as is the purpose of insurance. Second, resale will be decimated in a reapired vehicle.

It’s certainly worh fighting, ufortunately being ICBC, it’s a pain, but seek out advice from people familiar with fighting this, people who know how to make it in ICBC’s interest to settle wih a write-off instead of dragging this out.

It seems that under the regulations of BC, ICBC has the last word on if the vehicle has to be repaired or totalled.

My shop told them that it should be a total loss and refused to repair it, so they towed it somewhere else and are now waiting for somebody else to make an estimate.

I have bad feeling about this, is definitely acting up on my stress level, because if they can repair it, assuming they bring it to the exact previous conditions, is gonna lower the value of the vehicle so much that basically I won't be able to resell it.
Also, given the scarcity of the parts, it is gonna take a lot of time :(

I have bought an old Grand Cherokee ZJ for the time being, but this whole thing is a huge pain int he butt.

I am so angry I didn't buy a replacement policy and that I didn't stop to rest for 10 minute a bit earlier :(

G.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There used to be a mountain spring water drinking fountain just after you crossed the sumitt and headed the last miles to
Tillamook. Cold and clear, it would wake you up for the last 30 minutes. Saved me many a night.
Sadly clear mountain spring water didn't meet the government standards I believe, so they took it out.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Any updates, we’re all interested in how you make out with the insurance situation. No one envy’s your predicament.

Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There used to be a mountain spring water drinking fountain just after you crossed the sumitt and headed the last miles to
Tillamook. Cold and clear, it would wake you up for the last 30 minutes. Saved me many a night.
Sadly clear mountain spring water didn't meet the government standards I believe, so they took it out.
Well not a fountain, but I splashed some water on my face at the previous gas station.
It really had to go this way I think.

G.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any updates, we’re all interested in how you make out with the insurance situation. No one envy’s your predicament.
Hello,

Thanks for your interest and sorry for the late reply.

This is the summary so far of all that happened:

1 - They call me telling me is a total loss and they offer to give me 20K $ under the car value (including taxes!!). I tell them this is stupid and send them info about the car. First week gone.

2 - They call me again saying that they quoted the wrong car, but since the actual Jeep is so expensive they want to repair it. The shop in Tillamook (Oregon) where the Jeep is tells them is a write-off but they don't care. So they tow it all the way to my Jeep dealer in Richmond, that is an ICBC authorized body shop. Second Week gone.

3 - The car gets to my Jeep dealer. After checking the car out, they don't take it for repair and declare it as write off. Too much damage and hazardous repair. ICBC is not happy and tows the car to another Yard in Annacis Island (near Vancouver, BC), waiting for an external inspector to check the car. Third week gone.

4 - The inspector calls me from the yard and tells me that they are wasting his time, since the car is a total loss. He asks me what I want from inside the car to be shipped at home and that somebody will contact me to proceed. Fourth week gone.

5 - Sent an email after a week to know what's going on and the responsible at ICBC tells me that they are waiting for somebody TO BE ASSIGNED to my claim to define the price of the car (I thought the price was already assessed when decided they wanted to repair it?). And we are in the fifth week.

This is how things are going, I am not surprised that ICBC has a huge deficit, they only wasted time and money with a vehicle that should have been left in Oregon as a write off.
The black jeep that I put a deposit on should be here this week. I am currently debating if getting another one or not, the accident shook me a bit and too much is going on so I might just give up for now and get another Delica van.

Cheers,
G.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
This is kind of a depressing story. The whole point of insurance is to prevent this from happening. Best of luck and keep pushing.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Nowhere close to your situation but my wife bought a new SUV several years ago. First week she owned it she parked at Walmart and some dingbat in the next spot slams her door open so hard it got stuck in my wife’s door. Wife was in the car and threatened to call the cops after the idiot refused to hand over her license and insurance info.

I call her insurance, Geico, and they try to contact this lady to get her side of the story before I can send the SUV to a body shop to get the huge dent fixed. She never responds to Geico after multiple requests. They refused to pay out solely based on our claim. Lady was paying her bill monthly and I told them to cancel her insurance unless she responded. They refused. Finally had to threaten to beat the shit out of a Geico customer’s car with a bat and then say I’d refused to answer the phone as retaliation before they paid up.

Insurance is a scam...they’ll gladly take your money and balk when it’s time to pay up. Good luck getting the full value back!

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Glad to hear you are safe... Sorry about your loss.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
This is how things are going, I am not surprised that ICBC has a huge deficit, they only wasted time and money with a vehicle that should have been left in Oregon as a write off.
What a bunch of incompetent asshats. Losing 3.5 million dollars each day?!

So glad our insurance is privatized in Alberta.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A final update to this thread.

This week I got a call from the person assigned to my case.
I have to say, she apologized for the long delay and she also said her folder was incomplete, missing pictures, documents etc.

So I dealt with her and send what she needed and we settled down the case.

At the end I lost 5% on the cost of the car.
Have to figure out if I can get back the money I paid for the 5 years extra warranty (3000$).
I lost all the other fees, of course.

So I think, if I can't get the warranty back, I have lost 10.000$ in this accident.
I am grateful for how it all went.

The black Rubicon I put the deposit on is nearby, should be at the dealer Monday or Tuesday.
Haven't made my mind on if I want to get it or not, but I'll go take a look, I was really loving the rig :)

Thanks to all of you that contributed to this post.
G.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We appreciate the updates and wish you well. Here’s hoping the next Rubicon is accident free!!

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
This is always how ICBC operates, total incompetence. Few years ago my i banged my ranger up, and icbc took it to the wrong city, wrong shop and didn't tell me. 3 WEEKS go by with none of my calls going anywhere and i get a notice in my mail telling me to get my truck from the repair shop before its towed. I go to figure it out in person to avoid calling BS, and i find out it was written off by ICBC and already taken away to be crushed/resold, all without my permission too, essentially stealing it. Either they are completely incompetent or malicious.

3l3ments

First Name
Taylor Th omas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
A final update to this thread.

This week I got a call from the person assigned to my case.
I have to say, she apologized for the long delay and she also said her folder was incomplete, missing pictures, documents etc.

So I dealt with her and send what she needed and we settled down the case.

At the end I lost 5% on the cost of the car.
Have to figure out if I can get back the money I paid for the 5 years extra warranty (3000$).
I lost all the other fees, of course.

So I think, if I can't get the warranty back, I have lost 10.000$ in this accident.
I am grateful for how it all went.

The black Rubicon I put the deposit on is nearby, should be at the dealer Monday or Tuesday.
Haven't made my mind on if I want to get it or not, but I'll go take a look, I was really loving the rig :)

Thanks to all of you that contributed to this post.
G.
You should have zero trouble with getting that money back from the 5 years extra warranty. Just ask your dealer you bought it from they can get it for you. Good Luck
Sponsored