Totaled my new JLU rubicon

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
First, I will echo everyone else and say glad you & the pooch are OK.

Second, HOLY CRAP!! $3500 a year for your insurance???!!! That translates to about $2700 USD a year!!! Mine is just over $500 for the year for the Jeep. That and a 15% tax on everything too? You guys get stabbed up there!
My insurance is about 600 Canadian though, insurance are cheaper in Quebec as there’s one included already with our license (about $90 a year if no points off lol)
Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
My insurance is about 600 Canadian though, insurance are cheaper in Quebec as there’s one included already with our license (about $90 a year if no points off lol)
Yeah, I think after this accident I will have to pay 5000$ a year, if not more.
G.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Insurance in CO right now is BARF worthy. Some MAJOR hail storms went through in the last 2 years. My 2015 Grand was destroyed and my 2017 RAM took $5k damage.

Good thing about the plastic roof and fenders on the JL :)

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Btw, is that a German Sheperd in your picture? My dog is a Sheperd too! Mine is 10 months old, I love him already so much! Such a smart breed! So much work, though!

G.
He's my retired work dog (GSD). I promoted out and was able to keep him so he is still young and full of energy. Amazing dogs!

IMG_2003.JPG

Snow patrol

IMG_3585.JPG

Tolerating my grouch older retired GSD

IMG_5049.JPG

Joe Cool.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
He's my retired work dog (GSD). I promoted out and was able to keep him so he is still young and full of energy. Amazing dogs!

IMG_2003.JPG

Snow patrol

IMG_3585.JPG

Tolerating my grouch older retired GSD

IMG_5049.JPG

Joe Cool.
He is gorgeous!

G.

Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So it turns out the Jeep in Alberta got sold before we put a deposit on, so now I am without a Jeep.
We can't find a fully loaded rubicon in the whole North America.

Makes me feel like going to Toyota and buy a 4 Runner TRD.

Jees.
G.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This story keeps changing.

After ICBC declared my vehicle a total loss and they offered me 20k$ less than the value, today they call me after I sent them a detailed description of the vehicle and what I think they should pay, telling me that it is NOT a total loss anymore, given the value and they can repair it.

So they are towing the vehicle to BC, to my shop (which is the dealer where I bought the Jeep) to get a more accurate estimate.

I am not sure what's the repairing vs replacement threshold, but at this point, I have to wait and see what happens.

The guy at the shop said that it doesn't make sense to repair a brand new Jeep that will have a 40k accident in records, it will lose value in reselling (should I want/need to sell it) and they will definitely not be cheap in the estimate given the amount of work that it will take to fix it.

If anybody has any advice I would be happy to hear from you guys, should I fight ICBC decision to repair it? The shop is on my side if you know what I mean because obviously, they want me to buy another Jeep.

Thanks,
G.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
This story keeps changing.

After ICBC declared my vehicle a total loss and they offered me 20k$ less than the value, today they call me after I sent them a detailed description of the vehicle and what I think they should pay, telling me that it is NOT a total loss anymore, given the value and they can repair it.

So they are towing the vehicle to BC, to my shop (which is the dealer where I bought the Jeep) to get a more accurate estimate.

I am not sure what's the repairing vs replacement threshold, but at this point, I have to wait and see what happens.

The guy at the shop said that it doesn't make sense to repair a brand new Jeep that will have a 40k accident in records, it will lose value in reselling (should I want/need to sell it) and they will definitely not be cheap in the estimate given the amount of work that it will take to fix it.

If anybody has any advice I would be happy to hear from you guys, should I fight ICBC decision to repair it? The shop is on my side if you know what I mean because obviously, they want me to buy another Jeep.

Thanks,
G.
To my experience/knowledge, I’d say the only way is if they overestimate the amount of time /price of parts so it ends up costing more than a replacement. Or to prove that it would never be fixed to be safely driven again after this.... But your shop should know how I’d say lol

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To my experience/knowledge, I’d say the only way is if they overestimate the amount of time /price of parts so it ends up costing more than a replacement. Or to prove that it would never be fixed to be safely driven again after this.... But your shop should know how I’d say lol
Of course, that is one way, but I was thinking to hire a lawyer and fight them because this is gonna cost me a lot of time and I need to rent a car. I had also put a deposit down for another Rubicon and put my name on it.

I find it ridiculous that they estimate the wrong car and they declare it a total loss and then they change their mind!

G.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't that scary, I flipped off-roading a couple of time in my trail-only samurai. Surely I was worried for the dog, and really pissed on myself and angry to throw away a 3700km brand new Jeep :D

G.
Man... so sorry to hear that you pissed on yourself as well! :cwl:

Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Ahahaah sorry, I am from a different part of the world :D

G.
Haha no you seem to be doing quite well with the language... just could not resist. Though, reading your continued posts and knowing the battle you are going through with insurance, I really feel for you man. Sucks so bad. Hope that something good happens soon and everybody can just move past this!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Haha no you seem to be doing quite well with the language... just could not resist. Though, reading your continued posts and knowing the battle you are going through with insurance, I really feel for you man. Sucks so bad. Hope that something good happens soon and everybody can just move past this!
Ditto!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So it turns out the Jeep in Alberta got sold before we put a deposit on, so now I am without a Jeep.
We can't find a fully loaded rubicon in the whole North America.

Makes me feel like going to Toyota and buy a 4 Runner TRD.
Was just at Toyota in Hih Riv on Friday helping a friend pick up his Tacoma, and sat again in both the Taco and 4R, and believe me, you won’t be happy if you got the Wrangler to do Wrangler things, including driving wih the top down.

Also if you’re anything over 6ft it’s cramped in there, and the roof is in your sight-lines the whole time.

There will be more Rubis coming, it’s worth a month rental to get the right vehicle.

From experience I know it’s tough waiting, but find something that makes you happy, or you will regret it the entire time you own the compromise. Took me almost 3 weeks to find the best Wrangler I could to replace my ood Rubi, and that made me much happier than settling for a Red or Tank “it’ll do” Wrangler.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes, definitely fight them.

As the saying goes, always reject insurance’s first offer, becuase they will try to low-ball.

But in this case, it’s an issue on many fronts, first the safety and future maintenance hassle, it’s not making you anywhere near ‘whole’ as is the purpose of insurance. Second, resale will be decimated in a reapired vehicle.

It’s certainly worh fighting, ufortunately being ICBC, it’s a pain, but seek out advice from people familiar with fighting this, people who know how to make it in ICBC’s interest to settle wih a write-off instead of dragging this out.
Sponsored