Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
Glad you both are okay...I was just thinking how close my head is to the sport bar, do you know whether you hit your head on it?
No I don't think so, the side airbag must have contained my bouncing around really well since I only have a little bruise on my shoulder, probably because of the airbag itself or maybe the seat belt.
My head didn't hit anything for sure.

Cheers!
G.
Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Alright a little update!

The insurance just called me that wants to give me 48000$ including taxes :)
This is a joke since the new car costs 63000$ plus 15% tax in BC.

Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with that? Surely I am not accepting anything like that.

Thanks,
G.
First, do you use an independent agent, if so put them to work for you. If not and in either case, you don't have to settle for their first offer. I don't know about the taxes, which seem very high versus the USA, but I doubt your insurance company will cover that cost. Given the car was only on the road for a few days, will your Government pro-rate the taxes and give you a refund, it might be worth investigating. As for the Insurance company, you might find a lawyer or agent who can help argue with the Insurance company. There must be experts in doing this type of negotiation. I agree 15,000$ is a huge gap and not anywhere near reasonable. I would also change Insurance companies for the next Jeep, given this experience.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
No I don't think so, the side airbag must have contained my bouncing around really well since I only have a little bruise on my shoulder, probably because of the airbag itself or maybe the seat belt.

Cheers!
G.
Just curious, do you have any pictures of your deployed side airbag? Interested in seeing where on the seat it deploys from.
Thanks!

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];

Cheers!
G.
Thanks for the reply G...I would also be interested in seeing interior photos as I have heard the JL side airbags would not have the same coverage as a typical car for obvious reasons.

Cheers

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
Oh man, glad to hear you and the pup are OK. What a bummer! Hope the insurance co. takes care of you quickly!

Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the reply G...I would also be interested in seeing interior photos as I have heard the JL side airbags would not have the same coverage as a typical car for obvious reasons.

Cheers

I don't have pictures but I have this video shared on GDrive you guys can look at:

I think the safety of this vehicles is top notch. I still can't believe I didn't even scratch myself.

G.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Glad all is well. Apologies if I missed it but any word on the replacement?

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First, do you use an independent agent, if so put them to work for you. If not and in either case, you don't have to settle for their first offer. I don't know about the taxes, which seem very high versus the USA, but I doubt your insurance company will cover that cost. Given the car was only on the road for a few days, will your Government pro-rate the taxes and give you a refund, it might be worth investigating. As for the Insurance company, you might find a lawyer or agent who can help argue with the Insurance company. There must be experts in doing this type of negotiation. I agree 15,000$ is a huge gap and not anywhere near reasonable. I would also change Insurance companies for the next Jeep, given this experience.
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Yeah, British Columbia is ridiculous in taxes. Usually, you pay 12%, but this is considered a luxury vehicle so you end up paying 15%.
Well, the insurance should cover cash value of the Jeep, that should include the taxes. No way they can ignore almost 10.000$ in taxes.

I will hire a law firm to argue with the insurance if needed.
Unfortunately, the insurance in BC is government owned and is a monopoly, so there is only one we can pick for basics insurance. Then one can use a different one for third party and collision.
It sucks.

On the phone, the agent said that he checked for the depreciation of the vehicle, but I am pretty sure he checked for a JK, not a JL. He didn't even know the difference.
I sent him the JEEP.CA configuration price and a couple of links stating that Rubicons only depreciate 1000$ a year for the first 5 years, so hopefully that helps.
Jeep was 1 month old, and only 3700km on it.

Thanks,
G.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glad all is well. Apologies if I missed it but any word on the replacement?
I have another Jeep coming from Alberta. Gonna put same lift and tires and new rims on it right away, so should be ready by end of next week hopefully.
We could only find another Rubicon with the same fully loaded configuration in and around BC and all the way to Alberta, so I decided to go for it.
I had to get it since I also use the jeep a lot for commuting, I hope I can close with the insurance by then, even though it might not be the case.
I didn't have the replacement policy, so effectively I have bought two jeeps until I close the other loan :(

Cheers,
G.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Yeah, British Columbia is ridiculous in taxes. Usually, you pay 12%, but this is considered a luxury vehicle so you end up paying 15%.
Well, the insurance should cover cash value of the Jeep, that should include the taxes. No way they can ignore almost 10.000$ in taxes.

I will hire a law firm to argue with the insurance if needed.
Unfortunately, the insurance in BC is government owned and is a monopoly, so there is only one we can pick for basics insurance. Then one can use a different one for third party and collision.
It sucks.

On the phone, the agent said that he checked for the depreciation of the vehicle, but I am pretty sure he checked for a JK, not a JL. He didn't even know the difference.
I sent him the JEEP.CA configuration price and a couple of links stating that Rubicons only depreciate 1000$ a year for the first 5 years, so hopefully that helps.
Jeep was 1 month old, and only 3700km on it.

Thanks,
G.
Québec tax is 15% (14.975 actually ;) ) on EVERYTHING!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I was at 20% discount, so probably they will bring me back to 0%. Currently paying about 3500$ year on this Wrangler, it means I'll probably pay 5000$/6000$. We'll see.
First, I will echo everyone else and say glad you & the pooch are OK.

Second, HOLY CRAP!! $3500 a year for your insurance???!!! That translates to about $2700 USD a year!!! Mine is just over $500 for the year for the Jeep. That and a 15% tax on everything too? You guys get stabbed up there!

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First, I will echo everyone else and say glad you & the pooch are OK.

Second, HOLY CRAP!! $3500 a year for your insurance???!!! Mine is just over $500 for the year for the Jeep. That and a 15% tax on everything too? You guys get stabbed up there!
Yeah man, Canada is really not the best place if you like motorsports...I won't tell you how much I pay for my Ducati 999s motorcycle :D
Btw, is that a German Sheperd in your picture? My dog is a Sheperd too! Mine is 10 months old, I love him already so much! Such a smart breed! So much work, though!

G.
Sponsored