Totaled my 2018 JL

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
wow, that is hard to believe but I don't live in CA. different states different limits I guess. I'm covered unless I take out a Ferrari and Porsche at the same time. Good Luck!!!
Here in Ontario we have no fault insurance which I kind of like.
Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
"Doctor" of Chiropractic...I, myself, am a Doctor of Lawnmowing. I am working on my Doctorate of Rum Drinking (DRd). The dissertation is really hard, because you're totally drunk before it's over.
LOL right.... "physical therapy"

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Hi guys.

So I was recently in an accident last weekend on the Freeway with two pickup trucks (GMC and FORD) yeah, big boys. There was a strange side collision between me and the GMC when traveling at 60 ~ 65 MPH, my aftermarket rock slider hit their tire which made me bounce off, lose control, pickup truck in front of me slowed down (a lot) and boom. rear ended him. I hit the breaks right after I touched the GMC, judging by the damage and the impact I believe we were close to 50 MPH or so when I hit the FORD.

Both frontal airbags went off, front axle highly bent, crumpled hood and extensive damage on right side of the vehicle, passenger door wouldn't even open/close. Nobody had injuries at the scene, the ford truck I rear ended only seemed to have damage on their bumper on left side, and the GMC had no visible damage, in fact they left the scene pretty quickly. Ford got towed even though it was driveable. My jeep couldn't even move. Wrangler Sport 2-D 2018 JL.

I am very happy my wife and I had no injuries, and nobody else involved did. Police officer came over, he questioned me hard tried for me to admit fault but I never did, hell he even suggested I was on my phone and called my wife a liar the fucking ass.

Well today I got a notice saying I am the principal at fault driver. I don't really want to fight this, as everything was very confusing and I just want this to be over. I learned that the GMC driver claimed a minor injury later this week, he just probably went to the ER to get checked, they also claimed damage on their front axle, which I guess is possible? even though their tire and wheel were pristine. The ford I am not sure what the damage is as my insurance told me they both are working with their own insurance to fix their vehicles.

At this moment I don't care about my jeep, I'll make sure I get enough money to get the same jeep from my insurance. At this moment, I am honestly worried about liability. Those two pickup trucks are expensive, and I have 50k in liability coverage for property damage. The Ford is a 2017 F-150 I believe, and even though it had barely any visible damage hidden damage can total these cars easily. The GMC? well I was told by their insurance front axle damage so I would guess and hope it isn't totaled either.

I am crossing my fingers that the 50k would be enough in case the ford is deemed totaled for hidden damages. Does anyone know what would happen? since they are dealing with their insurance, I believe their insurance will come after mine for reimbursement. What's a likely scenario here?

Also guys. just max out your liability, it isn't expensive and I know we all think we are great drivers. but shit DOES happen.
First of all glad you and your wife and the other folks are ok. This reminds me of the old insurance scams where one driver would pin you so you couldn’t avoid an accident and the person in front would slam on their brakes. Very popular in the 1990’s and 2000’s I am not saying that is what happened here. How close were you too the Ford in front of you? Was there a lot of traffic? Glad the JL held up well and it kept you both safe.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I bet the guy came onto your lane.
I definitely need to get a dashcam. Can capture fun moments and cover you for the bad times too.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
yeah I am buying a dash-cam. There's really not much I can do anymore. Again I truly don't want to fight it as it would make things go really slow, I know I have 30 days to appeal, and I might as soon as I settle with the collision claim on my insurance. I have no collision deductible. I wasn't close at all to the guy in front. He slow down a lot, almost stopped. The fact that each of them went independent with their insurance right away and there are no major injuries reported makes me doubt it was a scam.

On the bright side, we got to try the wrangler JL for a whole year, and we loved it, and know what we don't like about the Sport. And we might upgrade to a rubi, we are still deciding. I like to offroad, but my wife is not so much into it. At least we will definitely upgrade to a Sport S with the android auto. The manual locks on doors weren't really an issue for us, but the manual windows really suck, specially when you are driving alone and can't reach the passenger window.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I hate hearing of this but I am very glad you guys are ok!!

I know everyone is talking about insurance but from reading your original post it sounded like you’re surprised that you were at fault. I know thing may be hazy but I don’t it hard to believe that your after market sliders hit another vehicles wheel while you were traveling within your lane. If you feel you’re not at fault you should fight it for sure man. It’s a lot of extra money down the line as your insurance will go up.

At any rate glad you’re all okay but you should really look into what happened!

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I wish you both well, up that liability and don't forget to include uninsured motorist.

Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Glad you both are fairing well.

I'm in the DMV and Washington D.C. is a "no fault" city. Really? If you drive across the median and hit someone else how can you not be at fault? Never quite figured that one out.

Anywho, because of that I max out my insurance. I do not want issues. Period.

Recently I had a driver stop short in a circle. I was driving my Denali at the time and I couldn't stop 3 ton as fast as she stopped maybe half of that. I ended up tapping her bumper with the corner of the frame of my license plate bracket. That was it. She got out. Walked around the vehicle. Talked to someone else on her phone (she is latino so I don't know what was being said) and hopped in her car and drove off after I took pictures of her car and captured her insurance information. Only damage was a puncture hole to the skin of her bumper. I told my case handler I've done worse damage to a car when I pushed them to jump start them. This was back in May.

My insurance case handler has been calling me WEEKLY with updates waiting for the other party to get their medical wrapped up because she was "badly injured". I so wish I would have video recorded her walking around.

Max out your insurance. It's NOT much more. Video record EVERYTHING. You are your own best defense when it comes to vehicle accidents.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glad you both are fairing well.

I'm in the DMV and Washington D.C. is a "no fault" city. Really? If you drive across the median and hit someone else how can you not be at fault? Never quite figured that one out.

Anywho, because of that I max out my insurance. I do not want issues. Period.

Recently I had a driver stop short in a circle. I was driving my Denali at the time and I couldn't stop 3 ton as fast as she stopped maybe half of that. I ended up tapping her bumper with the corner of the frame of my license plate bracket. That was it. She got out. Walked around the vehicle. Talked to someone else on her phone (she is latino so I don't know what was being said) and hopped in her car and drove off after I took pictures of her car and captured her insurance information. Only damage was a puncture hole to the skin of her bumper. I told my case handler I've done worse damage to a car when I pushed them to jump start them. This was back in May.

My insurance case handler has been calling me WEEKLY with updates waiting for the other party to get their medical wrapped up because she was "badly injured". I so wish I would have video recorded her walking around.

Max out your insurance. It's NOT much more. Video record EVERYTHING. You are your own best defense when it comes to vehicle accidents.
That's terrible. She is obviously trying to get money out of this. You cannot be badly injured if you are walking around like nothing after an accident. People exaggerate so much. She needs to prove her injury I would guess, so your insurance is probably trying to reach a settlement to save you from being sued. Also, call the police, they were assholes to me but they recorded everything on the scene and the fact that NOBODY was hurt and walking around. And in this country, what the cops say is almost sacred and never gets questioned.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Insurance is also NOT calling me and ignoring my calls.... I heard from the guy who checked my vehicle last Thursday that it was totaled and already valuated and info send through insurance. I fear they're gonna try and pull some long-wait low ball offer..... Jeep was less than a year old, I expect they give me what a replacement costs near me as the law states.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Hi guys.

So I was recently in an accident last weekend on the Freeway with two pickup trucks (GMC and FORD) yeah, big boys. There was a strange side collision between me and the GMC when traveling at 60 ~ 65 MPH, my aftermarket rock slider hit their tire which made me bounce off, lose control, pickup truck in front of me slowed down (a lot) and boom. rear ended him. I hit the breaks right after I touched the GMC, judging by the damage and the impact I believe we were close to 50 MPH or so when I hit the FORD.

Both frontal airbags went off, front axle highly bent, crumpled hood and extensive damage on right side of the vehicle, passenger door wouldn't even open/close. Nobody had injuries at the scene, the ford truck I rear ended only seemed to have damage on their bumper on left side, and the GMC had no visible damage, in fact they left the scene pretty quickly. Ford got towed even though it was driveable. My jeep couldn't even move. Wrangler Sport 2-D 2018 JL.

I am very happy my wife and I had no injuries, and nobody else involved did. Police officer came over, he questioned me hard tried for me to admit fault but I never did, hell he even suggested I was on my phone and called my wife a liar the fucking ass.

Well today I got a notice saying I am the principal at fault driver. I don't really want to fight this, as everything was very confusing and I just want this to be over. I learned that the GMC driver claimed a minor injury later this week, he just probably went to the ER to get checked, they also claimed damage on their front axle, which I guess is possible? even though their tire and wheel were pristine. The ford I am not sure what the damage is as my insurance told me they both are working with their own insurance to fix their vehicles.

At this moment I don't care about my jeep, I'll make sure I get enough money to get the same jeep from my insurance. At this moment, I am honestly worried about liability. Those two pickup trucks are expensive, and I have 50k in liability coverage for property damage. The Ford is a 2017 F-150 I believe, and even though it had barely any visible damage hidden damage can total these cars easily. The GMC? well I was told by their insurance front axle damage so I would guess and hope it isn't totaled either.

I am crossing my fingers that the 50k would be enough in case the ford is deemed totaled for hidden damages. Does anyone know what would happen? since they are dealing with their insurance, I believe their insurance will come after mine for reimbursement. What's a likely scenario here?

Also guys. just max out your liability, it isn't expensive and I know we all think we are great drivers. but shit DOES happen.
Start with a good insurance company. Amica is no. 1 then USSA no. 2. Next always always max out all coverages. Yes it will cost more, but at some point at some time in the future we all have accidents, hopefully minor. Everyone, accidents happen. People love to sue. Geico, Progressive etc. are great at advertising and getting customers but their retention is awful and they will avoid paying at all costs and drop you no matter what their TV commercials say. You can never have too much insurance. Consumer Reports just rated insurance companies. Like CR or not, they know what they are talking about when it comes to insurance. Its based on subscribers not opinions. I hope your insurance takes good care of you, for next time, get an umbrella policy which will give you 1 million total coverage on everything from home to car to bicycling. If someone says their hurt you're screwed otherwise.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Its been a week without my jeep. It didn't bothered me last week, but this week I really miss it specially after the weekend. I've had many cars throughout my life, a Jeep cherokee (TJ I think it is?), Jeep patriot, and a corolla. The only vehicle I have vivid memories with is the jeep wrangler. I love my corolla with a manual transmission due to its simplicity, it is such a well done tool that just never breaks, cheap and simple. Takes me to work everyday with no fuzz, but I need my weekend toy!.

Jeeps are just too much fun. too much freedom. This will be a tough month.
Sponsored