Totaled my 2018 JL

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
i wouldnt worry about it. highly unlikely the vehicle was totaled. even so, your insurance would pay out the max and that owner's insurance coverage would kick in. if he has that new of a truck, that is worth that much, it is highly unlikely that he doesnt have appropriate insurance. full coverage is required for a vehicle you are still making payments on (and for good reason).

so lets say they pay the guy that drove away $10k for repairs to his truck (has to be proven, not claimed). and $40k to the other guy who actually has $50k or $70k loss. that guys insurance will pick up the balance. highly unlikely they would come back to you to attempt to recover that. they know it is pretty much a futile effort and it does cost them a good amount of $ to do attempt to do so.

take it as a wake up call to increase your coverage limits. especially living in litigation land (aka los angeles). you can also increase your deductible to offset the increase but dont go too high or you may be crying after an accident lol.
If you leave the scene of an accident, how can you then claim damages? That just seems strange to me that it would be allowed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
i wouldnt worry about it. highly unlikely the vehicle was totaled. even so, your insurance would pay out the max and that owner's insurance coverage would kick in. if he has that new of a truck, that is worth that much, it is highly unlikely that he doesnt have appropriate insurance. full coverage is required for a vehicle you are still making payments on (and for good reason).

so lets say they pay the guy that drove away $10k for repairs to his truck (has to be proven, not claimed). and $40k to the other guy who actually has $50k or $70k loss. that guys insurance will pick up the balance. highly unlikely they would come back to you to attempt to recover that. they know it is pretty much a futile effort and it does cost them a good amount of $ to do attempt to do so.

take it as a wake up call to increase your coverage limits. especially living in litigation land (aka los angeles). you can also increase your deductible to offset the increase but dont go too high or you may be crying after an accident lol.
Yeah I'll try not to worry about it. Since the accident every single time I drive to work I notice the dozens of lawyer billboards about car accidents.... freaks me out. And yes. I maxed out my coverage 3 days ago, and I am looking into umbrella policy! lol...

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If you leave the scene of an accident, how can you then claim damages? That just seems strange to me that it would be allowed.
Yeah it is a little iffy how quickly he left. But he did speak to the police officer, as I understand. But he did leave right afterwards without exchanging words to me or the guy on the truck that got rear ended (who was very nice). All I remember is asking everyone if they were hurt, they all say they were fine. 5 mins later a cop comes, tries to incriminate me, as I am talking to the cop the guy on the other truck just left.

Also how can your front axle be damaged with your tire and wheel not showing any damage? wouldn't the tire and or wheel absorb damage before it being transferred to the front axle?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yeah it is a little iffy how quickly he left. But he did speak to the police officer, as I understand. But he did leave right afterwards without exchanging words to me or the guy on the truck that got rear ended (who was very nice). All I remember is asking everyone if they were hurt, they all say they were fine. 5 mins later a cop comes, tries to incriminate me, as I am talking to the cop the guy on the other truck just left.

Also how can your front axle be damaged with your tire and wheel not showing any damage? wouldn't the tire and or wheel absorb damage before it being transferred to the front axle?
That's what I would think. That guy probably was on the phone himself and drifted into your lane if truth be known. The more I hear of these things, the more I think I need to invest in a camera:like:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

well that is assuming they exchanged information. otherwise the other guy will be screwed because he wont have OP's information. i rear ended a lady last year. exchanged info, snapped some pics and took off. wanted to get home for dinner lol. i called the insurance and gave them all the info and pics.

always a good idea to take as many photos as you can after an accident so the other driver doesnt try to claim additional damages that you didnt cause. without any photos they can make the damage worse and then its your word against theirs and they will typically give them the benefit of the doubt.

my daughter rear ended a girl last year (runs in the family i guess lol) in my JL. very minor accident. she took photos of the other car and we had photos showing no damage to our jeep, the other car broken tail light. we submitted them to our adjuster. the other girl was claiming medical injuries etc.. our adjuster said that the claimed injuries did not comport with the damage in the photos and she would be denying the other girls claim.

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That's what I would think. That guy probably was on the phone himself and drifted into your lane if truth be known. The more I hear of these things, the more I think I need to invest in a camera:like:
Yeah that's what I think might have happened. But the cop didn't like me, and I was in shock, so my statement was all over the place. I am buying a camera.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

not necessarily. you can hit a curb with your tire which will absorb the impact and may not show damage but cause damage to the wheel and/or suspension. i had a customer who got into an accident where the car ran off the road. all four of his wheels appeared fine with just cosmetic damage. these were high end 3 piece wheels. the insurance company wanted him to send them to us for evaluation. we checked the run out with a dial indicator and all 3 parts of the wheel (center, inner hoop, outer lip) were damaged. invisible to the naked eye but damaged beyond allowable run out specs. all 4 wheels were totaled. insurance covered it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yeah that's what I think might have happened. But the cop didn't like me, and I was in shock, so my statement was all over the place. I am buying a camera.
Well, I'm not an attorney, but I am a mental health provider, and I can say that you were more than likely in a state of confusion if not shock. Point is, you were not in your right state of mind. Plus it sounds like that cop just wanted to get someone to admit fault.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

insurance companies arent in the business of just paying out. they will to a point but if the guy that drove off with seemingly no damage comes back with $10k in damage both his insurance company and your own will really start questioning things. thats when fraud investigators tend to get involved. it would be a waste of time for him to cause damage to his suspension just to have it replaced. its not winning the lottery lol. if he's trying to total the truck out, then yeah thats worth it to him. new truck time! yay!! but then that raises a billion red flags lol. like i said, insurance companies will "just pay" to a certain point. just to make things go away. but at a certain point they start questioning things and have no problem telling people/other carriers to go pound sand. insurance carriers think alike and try to work with each other. your own insurance can tell you to go pound sand if they dont like what they are hearing lol.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Well, I'm not an attorney, but I am a mental health provider, and I can say that you were more than likely in a state of confusion if not shock. Point is, you were not in your right state of mind. Plus it sounds like that cop just wanted to get someone to admit fault.
never admit fault and take lots of pics. its easy to space out on what happened right after it happened. then things come to you later. dont have a discussion over it. just exchange information and discuss with your own adjuster later.

Sponsored

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Did you take pics of the trucks? We (the internet) can probably give fairly decent guesses at values based on pics. Might help you rest easier.

If the first thing the dude said was that he couldn’t afford to fix it, he probably didn’t step out of a $70k raptor. More likely a more basic model like a $30k-$35k XL/XLT.

So, with what sounds like minimal damage to the GMC, I highly doubt the damage will exceed $50k.

And even if both are written off, and by some miracle it does crack $50k, they’re both still worth money afterwards. Whatever the insurance company gets back selling them at copart should cover anything over your property damage limit.

From Progressive:
“
  • 3% of bodily injury or property damage liability claims cost over $50,000
  • About 2% of liability claims cost over $100,000
While those figures suggest it’s unlikely you’ll need more than $50,000 in liability, remember liability exists to protect your assets against the worst-case scenario in which you’re responsible.”

It’s statistically fairly unlikely that your accident is in the top 3% of the most expensive accidents on the road.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
These numbers seem so strange to me.
I carry a policy with $2Million liability coverage per incident.

No wonder insurance is so expensive in Canada

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Very sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like you guys may be alright, but I would still get checked by a Doctor of Chiropractic. No other healthcare profession can evaluate the biomechanics of your spine like a chiropractor. The bigger picture is to make sure you aren't grabbing your neck or lower back 15-20 years from now saying "it's just never been the same since that wreck back in 2019". Proper alignment, curvature and motion in your spine is key to help minimize osteophytic spurring, arthritis and other degenerative changes later on in life that may accelerate because of this accident. Just like someone mentioned how wheels can be damaged in an accident and may not be visible to the naked eye but can be found with proper testing, with potential cervical neck flexion/extension (whiplash) type injuries, there may be a loss of proper curvature that WILL create more problems down the road. X-rays, especially motion studies involving neutral, flexion and extension cervical spine views, are imperative to evaluate for potential ligament laxity injuries. I know, as I see it all of the time! Good luck!!!

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Did you take pics of the trucks? We (the internet) can probably give fairly decent guesses at values based on pics. Might help you rest easier.

If the first thing the dude said was that he couldn’t afford to fix it, he probably didn’t step out of a $70k raptor. More likely a more basic model like a $30k-$35k XL/XLT.

So, with what sounds like minimal damage to the GMC, I highly doubt the damage will exceed $50k.

And even if both are written off, and by some miracle it does crack $50k, they’re both still worth money afterwards. Whatever the insurance company gets back selling them at copart should cover anything over your property damage limit.

From Progressive:
“
  • 3% of bodily injury or property damage liability claims cost over $50,000
  • About 2% of liability claims cost over $100,000
While those figures suggest it’s unlikely you’ll need more than $50,000 in liability, remember liability exists to protect your assets against the worst-case scenario in which you’re responsible.”

It’s statistically fairly unlikely that your accident is in the top 3% of the most expensive accidents on the road.
This is great. Those figures you brought really make me feel much better. I am a Data Scientist and statistics calm me down :) thanks. Can't wait to get my new JL, man I loved that car.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Very sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like you guys may be alright, but I would still get checked by a Doctor of Chiropractic. No other healthcare profession can evaluate the biomechanics of your spine like a chiropractor. The bigger picture is to make sure you aren't grabbing your neck or lower back 15-20 years from now saying "it's just never been the same since that wreck back in 2019". Proper alignment, curvature and motion in your spine is key to help minimize osteophytic spurring, arthritis and other degenerative changes later on in life that may accelerate because of this accident. Just like someone mentioned how wheels can be damaged in an accident and may not be visible to the naked eye but can be found with proper testing, with potential cervical neck flexion/extension (whiplash) type injuries, there may be a loss of proper curvature that WILL create more problems down the road. X-rays, especially motion studies involving neutral, flexion and extension cervical spine views, are imperative to evaluate for potential ligament laxity injuries. I know, as I see it all of the time! Good luck!!!
Will do. specially my wife she had a little bit of a stiff neck the next day. Better safe than sorry. Thanks!
Sponsored