Totaled my 2018 JL

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Its been a week without my jeep. It didn't bothered me last week, but this week I really miss it specially after the weekend. I've had many cars throughout my life, a Jeep cherokee (TJ I think it is?), Jeep patriot, and a corolla. The only vehicle I have vivid memories with is the jeep wrangler. I love my corolla with a manual transmission due to its simplicity, it is such a well done tool that just never breaks, cheap and simple. Takes me to work everyday with no fuzz, but I need my weekend toy!.

Jeeps are just too much fun. too much freedom. This will be a tough month.
Feel the same about mine with a broken down starter, will be sitting in shop for the longest 2 weeks of my life.
Sponsored

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
I had an accident years ago, in which 2 kids on a BMX bike were riding in the turn lane of a major 4 lane highway, in the dark during a rain storm. I hit the back of the bike at approx 15 mph and sent one of the kids up on my hood into the windshield. When the FD and police showed up to check out everyone, I overheard one of the kids say "I'm gonna get paid big for this". Low and behold, approx 3 weeks later, I received a summons for a civil lawsuit. I was being sued by the kids parents for $25k. I called the insurance company and was told to drop off the paper work. Insurance company took care of everything. Only saw a slight increase in my premium. Never heard anything else after that.

Find a good insurance company and stick with them. Been with Erie Insurance for almost 20 years now. Great coverage, low premiums, no hassels.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Insurance is also NOT calling me and ignoring my calls.... I heard from the guy who checked my vehicle last Thursday that it was totaled and already valuated and info send through insurance. I fear they're gonna try and pull some long-wait low ball offer..... Jeep was less than a year old, I expect they give me what a replacement costs near me as the law states.
I won't worry too much. In worst case scenario, your insurance premium may go up.
Did you have gap insurance? I don't usually buy gap insurance but for $5-7 a month, I have it through my insurance policy - worth it, and it is only charged for a couple of years. So buy something equivalent for your next new Jeep with your insurance company which will give you a full replacement value of a new vehicle.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
you could move to NC and be covered but have to learn redneck.
it's a difficult dialect to pick up!!!
No state income tax and I believe no personal property tax on vehicles, boats, etc. Might pay to learn Southern Slang.

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I won't worry too much. In worst case scenario, your insurance premium may go up.
Did you have gap insurance? I don't usually buy gap insurance but for $5-7 a month, I have it through my insurance policy - worth it, and it is only charged for a couple of years. So buy something equivalent for your next new Jeep with your insurance company which will give you a full replacement value of a new vehicle.
Doesn't "gap" cover only what you still owe on your car payments? I don't owe anything. I never finance. If I can't afford cash I don't buy it, that's why I had the sport version, and it is what we needed anyway. We are on the almost impossible mission to save for a house and every penny counts here in southern california. if I didn't have to save for a house maybe I would take a partial loan for a rubicon :rock:

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
i am also worried because the guy in the Ford first words to me were "I can't pay for this". Which sounds like "I only have minimum insurance coverage (aka liability)."

Damn man why would you own a 2017 pickup truck with no collision insurance!!!
I don't know if your financing or not but if you are or if it's a lease in cali you must have 100k/300k coverage. If your vehicle is paid off then you can choose what you want but always go max. From what you wrote that you don't want to fight it then you're admitting fault cuz no one would want to be responsible for damage to 2 other vehicles. Your insurance is gonna sky rocket after this collision. If you feel like it's not your fault and no one can prove that it is then they will declare everyone responsible for their own vehicle. Only vehicle you will have to pay for regardless is the ford you rear ended.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I don't know if your financing or not but if you are or if it's a lease in cali you must have 100k/300k coverage. If your vehicle is paid off then you can choose what you want but always go max. From what you wrote that you don't want to fight it then you're admitting fault cuz no one would want to be responsible for damage to 2 other vehicles. Your insurance is gonna sky rocket after this collision. If you feel like it's not your fault and no one can prove that it is then they will declare everyone responsible for their own vehicle. Only vehicle you will have to pay for regardless is the ford you rear ended.
I guess I'll fight it then. I am still in the window to fight it. I am just waiting to get money for my totaled jeep. But you are right I shouldn't be responsible for both cars, it will make my insurance go up and I will end up losing a few hundred dollars by the end of the year, for the next 3 years. I guess I have no choice but to fight back.

The reason I didn't want to go through this was because I just want it to be over quickly and because I have slim chances of fighting this. The police officer report is heavily biased against me, that cop just did not like me at all. But he did not give me a ticket as he couldn't prove his absurd theory that I was distracted by the phone or GPS or whatever. So maybe I have a shot, worth the try.

Last edited:

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Yeah I was hoping to become a home owner next year.... but now we will see... we are young and I hope this doesn't fuck us up. I called my adjuster and he told me he isn't worried about the injury claim as it was very minor, but he wouldn't go into details. As of property damage (vehicles) he told me he doesn't know yet. I think worst case scenario it would hit like 60~70k (both vehicles totaled), which I think is almost impossible since one of the trucks just drove away without a scratch. In this case, you dont think they'll come after me?

btw there is such thing as underinsured motorist insurance, usually comes with uninsured. My insurance has it as "underinsure/uninsured motorist driver". It is cheap and I have it.
I would ask for documentation on the damage for both vehicles. Insurance companies tend to just pay the bill if it doesn't meet the threshold for investigation. You have a right to the information from the repair shops.
Sponsored