Sponsored

Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Buy a Jeep cuz then you can off-road somewhere fun - take your Mountain bike with you - and see some real outdoors. Best of both worlds!

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Buy a Jeep cuz then you can off-road somewhere fun - take your Mountain bike with you - and see some real outdoors. Best of both worlds!
Yeah I have a hitch on my wife’s Jeep and take my bike out all the time.

DCE74592-B172-4F47-A1C2-23CB66C2E799.jpeg

E7FB064C-E492-4CC1-96B3-236FBEC269AB.jpeg

C278CE77-41FF-4119-A1E8-F65578D4EDDB.jpeg

3E9B4E01-A669-4DCF-8ADD-0762E783113C.jpeg

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.0175 worth (used to be $0.015 worth, but with all deficit spending and tax increases done by the current administration to pay for all the BS programs, an increase in my fees is needed). Still cheaper than most folks $0.02 worth.

Having been the guy who has driven too fast and now an instructor for racing clubs, get two cars:

1. A JL with a 3.6 and a manual gear box.
2. A track car (could be a cheap old Miata or Mustang, manual gear box).

You don't need a fast track car or a fancy track car, you need something you will be driving instead of the car driving you (e.g., ABS, stability control, etc.).

Then go to a bunch of drivers education track days (DE's) with your track car.
At the DE's you will learn how to drive, have fun, learn vehicle dynamics, and control you car, etc.
You will also learn how to practice your DE's skills on the road, but still being safe (i.e., practicing at slow speeds, smooth turn ins, apex, smooth turn outs, controlled breaking, etc.)
At the DE's, a good instructor will teach you a whole bunch of things you likely never knew (e.g., how to hold and use the steering wheel, heal and toe, etc.).

WARNING, be very careful. Your track car may turn into a beast.
In an effort to keep up with my buddies at the track, this is what happened to my cheap 4 cyl car after many junkyard parts and late nights in the garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 914-6 at CMP 1M

Any way good luck and drive safe.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome - Jeep is a better world. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Damn!

This is a very interesting time and possibly the best time ever to buy a jeep. You have options for every possible use-case:

1. If money is no object and you must have the feel and sound of a V8, the 392 is available.
2. If you have a short commute and/or can charge your vehicle at work, the 4xE has you covered.
3. There’s an NA V6 and a 2.0 turbo available.
4. If you drive long distances you can get a diesel. Also great if you intend on adding weight.

Of course only two of these powertrains are available on the two door and only one with manual transmission unfortunately.

I bet you already know what you want given your current experience with jeeps. I say get exactly what you want even if it means waiting for a 2022, just be advised that Jeep is fond of pulling colors without warning!
Possibly Two options with manual trans. the full electric will be manual trans according to the EJS concept. i realllllly hope its true

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Thanks for the tips everyone :) so far I’m thinking of holding but probably going to get a wrangler regardless.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I think you'll find insurance rates will rise based on your accident alone. However, the vehicle you replace it with has little to do with the modeling any longer (leaving out the extremes of replacing a civic with a 911).

Take, for example, my 20 year old son who has 2 tickets. His insurance is the same on any Mustang - be it 5.0 or 4 cylinder. The models are based off of car, probability of accident, and repair cost of the vehicle. I doubt 392 vs 3.6 will have a meaningful impact to your insurance.

So buy what you like.

But I'm also one of the few people who fail to see the value of the 392 in a jeep. For me, the slow rolling and huge torque diesel are where it's at with big tires and rocks to get over.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I think you'll find insurance rates will rise based on your accident alone. However, the vehicle you replace it with has little to do with the modeling any longer (leaving out the extremes of replacing a civic with a 911).

Take, for example, my 20 year old son who has 2 tickets. His insurance is the same on any Mustang - be it 5.0 or 4 cylinder. The models are based off of car, probability of accident, and repair cost of the vehicle. I doubt 392 vs 3.6 will have a meaningful impact to your insurance.

So buy what you like.

But I'm also one of the few people who fail to see the value of the 392 in a jeep. For me, the slow rolling and huge torque diesel are where it's at with big tires and rocks to get over.
Yeah lots to consider. Right now I’m just riding my mountain bike. Humbling to say the least. But I’m 30 years old I should know better. Hopefully I will from here on out.

Marshack

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hvhinsurance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2018 BMW GSA.
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Yeah lots to consider. Right now I’m just riding my mountain bike. Humbling to say the least. But I’m 30 years old I should know better. Hopefully I will from here on out.
Josiah, I sent you a PM

Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Just replace the Infotainment system head end - good bye Uconnect and their spying 😉

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

So buy what you like.

Huge torque diesel? It's 30 ftlbs less than the 392. Add in the 210 hp difference and one will be far more fun to drive both on road and off. From rock bouncers to king of the hammers, there's a reason why you rarely see diesels and yet you see a ton of big v8's. I'm in the minority of wrangler owners who regularly hit the speed limited in our lifted jlur on 37's both on the freeway and in the dirt, but anyone who has ever wheeled anywhere that is steep and/or slick enough to require some wheel speed to make it should appreciate what the 392 brings to the table. There's no such thing as too much horsepower, just too little traction. Granted I can't justify buying another jeep, but if I were in the market it would be hard not to go 392. 1 test drive would make it impossible.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Huge torque diesel? It's 30 ftlbs less than the 392. Add in the 210 hp difference and one will be far more fun to drive both on road and off. From rock bouncers to king of the hammers, there's a reason why you rarely see diesels and yet you see a ton of big v8's. I'm in the minority of wrangler owners who regularly hit the speed limited in our lifted jlur on 37's both on the freeway and in the dirt, but anyone who has ever wheeled anywhere that is steep and/or slick enough to require some wheel speed to make it should appreciate what the 392 brings to the table. There's no such thing as too much horsepower, just too little traction. Granted I can't justify buying another jeep, but if I were in the market it would be hard not to go 392. 1 test drive would make it impossible.
where in the powerband is that tq vs the diesel? On my 3.0, it’s way down low where it’s usable. Wailing engines in the woods simply aren’t my cup of tea.

sure, building a KOH rig, I might choose things differently. But I didn’t see that as part of the build criteria here.

different strokes for different folks.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Just replace the Infotainment system head end - good bye Uconnect
Agreed, Uconnect is hot garbage. I would not let Uconnect 5 be the deciding factor for me to buy or wait.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Agreed, Uconnect is hot garbage. I would not let Uconnect 5 be the deciding factor for me to buy or wait.
I would love a 360 camera though.
Sponsored