First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Oh man that sucks. I know a "friend" who was also at fault in an accident, totaled vehicle high speed collision (below speed limit tho). My "friend" had an entire morning of hard workout under the sun, did not eat anything and passed out while driving on the freeway.

Well insurance went up, but not by much. After 1 year it went back down. I guess my "friend" got lucky!

Anyway. If you have a "weakness" for speed, stay away from Jeeps. Jeeps are vehicles to enjoy at low speeds. Offroad, or driving through town with the top off and such. That Mercedes is much safer than a Jeep at high speeds.

Good luck! and dont feel too guilty about it. We are all humans. I totaled my dads sedan when I was 18. Crashed it against a concrete wall while being dumb. Since then I drive like a grandma. Maybe thatll happen to you too.
Yeah I’m human and I’ve learned a few things already from this which I plan to carry forward the rest of my life.
Driving like a grandma is probably the way to go and driving slower is the best path moving on from here.

Jeeps are definitely not as safe as your average Mercedes at high speeds, but if I’m slowing down it might work. Driving my wife’s Jeep now.

Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Get one of these until your insurance premiums come down:
Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 1617135531496

And then after a few years, get the 392.
As funny as that is I have a nice ass carbon fiber mountain bike and I only live about a 10 minute bike ride from my office. It’s not off the table for a few months.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I came from a supercharged Audi S5 - the JL with the 3.6 and the 8 speed auto is a ton of fun, and sounds great. I think the 392 is awesome but eh, the price is just absolutely bonkers for not including stronger axles.

It's not super fast so it'll keep you out of trouble, but it's peppy enough to be fun, and the transmission shifts lightning fast like my Audi DSG used to. Nice sporty burble.

If you want an extra sporty feel, try a 2 door. It's the sports car of the woods.
Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 04BBBF79-DDAD-45C6-8CE6-5DD4EBA10EE7_1_105_c

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
As funny as that is I have a nice ass carbon fiber mountain bike and I only live about a 10 minute bike ride from my office. It’s not off the table for a few months.
Smart move! Great excuse to take in the outdoors while the weather is nice. Glad you’re okay.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Good point. I’m prepared for that. Luckily no police report or anything. It was in my parking garage into a cement pillar, but yes my fault even if I lost control.
Wow, you lost control of a Mercedes in a parking garage? The way a Jeep handles, maybe it isn't the right vehicle for you... The body roll can be quite intense, don't want to lose it on an Interstate off-ramp and roll it.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Definitely take a Wrangler out for a very long test drive. Even better, rent one for the day and plan on driving it all day. I came from a performance sedan (Acura TL SH-AWD) and it was quite a transition. You may end up loving the Wrangler but there is an equal chance you may not like its shortcomings compared to other SUVs/sedans in that price range.

if you go through that and still love it, you’ll be driving one forever.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. If I had a 10 minute commute the 4xe would definitely be the way I’d go. The 20 mile fully electric range would handle the daily commute. The instant torque of the electric motor would be great for technical trails. The 2.0t is peppy enough to be fun to drive even on windy mountain passes without the added torque of the electric motor in our 2019, and that’s on 37” tires. Add in the $7,500 federal tax credit plus whatever state and local incentives are applicable to you and I’d say the 4xe is the best deal in the Wrangler world right now.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
So I totaled my Mercedes on Friday night. Was going too fast and lost control. Looking at Jeep’s since I already use my wife’s all the time.

I really like the 392 but since I just got in an accident going too fast (no one else or other vehicles involved) I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. I also saw a statement from FCA that said all vehicles in 2022 from FCA will ship with U Connect 5.

I definitely want a Rubcion but wondering if I should just use a car lease app for a 6 months until 2022 vehicles are released.

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 04BBBF79-DDAD-45C6-8CE6-5DD4EBA10EE7_1_105_c
Let me take you back to 1985 when I was driving my Shelby late at night. Wet road, going too fast, something in road punctured both right side tires. Shelby disintegrated during multiple rollovers. I was scared to go fast after that and test drove a brand new CJ-7 but ended up buying an Isuzu I-Mark. I have been kicking myself in the ass for NOT getting that CJ-7 for over 30 years now. Last year I traded a Mustang GT on my 2.0 Rubicon. Don't miss the GT at all.

That said, get what you want, but remember the Jeep won't handle or stop like your Benz. Heck, it doesn't steer or drive like a normal car. That is part of the charm as you are getting an off-road ready vehicle in any trim! The 392 will have plenty of power, but the other options are more than adequate for normal driving. The Rubicon trim is a waste of money for some. I use the 4.11 ratio with my 35s and the lockers and quick disconnect when off-road. If you're not going to use it, get a different trim. Either way, Get what you want and be happy with it.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I had the first year of the Coyote 5.0L Mustang, when you have that much power in the pedal its hard to not get loose with it sometimes. I dont have the same issue in a Jeep. My brain switches off from wanting to go fast to just cruising around and enjoying the ride. Plus everyone at the lights wanted to race me in the Mustang, nobody expects to race you in a Jeep. I think you could mentally change gears and get away from the speed part and enjoy a different type of vehicle for a different reason. A 392 is probably not going to help in that mindset though. If you get a Rubicon and build it up to have fun offroad, it could bring a whole different enjoyment though.

That said, a 6 month lease is going to be extremely expensive. The way Rubicons hold their value though, dont be afraid to just buy one. I'd actually recommend going through the build and price on the jeep website and pick out the exact options you want and order it. It could be a few months before it arrives anyway. Even if you buy a new or gently used one thats on a lot out there, you can always trade it in when you get the order of what you want. Some dealers might even agree on a trade value ahead of time when your order arrives so you know exactly how much it would cost you to own it for a short period of time.

Just a couple ideas i thought I'd share. Personally I dont recommend a lease on a Wrangler, they dont incentivize it good enough to make it work in your favor. I've sold them for 10 years and there's never been an environment where it works out better than to just purchase it.

Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Get a manual transmission JLU sahara - it will be an engaging, exciting driving experience for you without having to haul &ss around corners for fun.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thoughts?
Don’t admit fault on a public forum with your name and picture in your profile? I think you meant to say that you swerved to avoid a Sasquatch. 😂

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I have been in an at-fault accident before, and my auto insurance went through the roof for 6 years. If you do decide on getting the 392, be prepared to pay $$$ on insurance.
My USAA insurance bill dropped 40 dollars over 6 months with the 392; traded in a 2020 f150 3.5. I was expecting to it be a large increase, and ended up being a slight decrease.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Don’t admit fault on a public forum with your name and picture in your profile? I think you meant to say that you swerved to avoid a Sasquatch. 😂
I crashed into a cement pillar by myself in my apartment complex with no one else around and no else involved. Who else did it? If admitting fault is saying yeah I crashed then I guess I admit fault. I’m not going to lie and say the breaks went out or something. That’s even more crazy.
I simply lost control and that is the truth.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. If I had a 10 minute commute the 4xe would definitely be the way I’d go. The 20 mile fully electric range would handle the daily commute. The instant torque of the electric motor would be great for technical trails. The 2.0t is peppy enough to be fun to drive even on windy mountain passes without the added torque of the electric motor in our 2019, and that’s on 37” tires. Add in the $7,500 federal tax credit plus whatever state and local incentives are applicable to you and I’d say the 4xe is the best deal in the Wrangler world right now.
I respectfully disagree about "the best deal in the Wrangler" comment. Think of all of the problems that FCA has with internal combustion engine Jeeps right now. Also, the fact that their dealerships don't work on electric cars. Nobody has yet to explain to me why the ESS battery is necessary. You add all the complexity of an electric powerplant in addition to the conventional powerplant and it makes a very complex machine. All of this for 21 miles per 2 hour "fast charge". I think there is a good reason why Chevrolet no longer makes the Volt. If I was going electric, I'd go for the VW ID.4.

FCA does have to start selling electric vehicles to stop making Elon Musk rich with regulatory credits. I don't even want to know how much FCA paid Tesla for the "privilege" of making my Jeep.
Sponsored