Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I crashed into a cement pillar by myself in my apartment complex with no one else around and no else involved. Who else did it? If admitting fault is saying yeah I crashed then I guess I admit fault. I’m not going to lie and say the breaks went out or something. That’s even more crazy.
I simply lost control and that is the truth.
Heh. I did that with my wife’s minivan 10 years ago... on vacation... 15 mins after arriving at the condo we rented... right in front of the lobby, which had a floor to ceiling glass entryway where she and my three kids were standing and watching. Luckily the damage was only cosmetic, my pride notwithstanding.

You’re a better man than me, because I blamed it on being tired from having driven for 10 hours! 😳 In reality, I just misjudged a tight turn. She still teases me about it...

On topic, you can’t go wrong with a Wrangler. They’re a different kind of fun than a sports car. I love my manual 2dr, and my previous vehicle was a Gen I Raptor with a 6.2L V8. Do I miss the growl of that beast? Sometimes, but then I forget all about it when the weather is warm and I have the top and doors off.
Sponsored

Xsspd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
My USAA insurance bill dropped 40 dollars over 6 months with the 392; traded in a 2020 f150 3.5. I was expecting to it be a large increase, and ended up being a slight decrease.
I read Wrangler Sports are the third cheapest vehicle to insure and the cheapest US made one. I too was surprised when the insurance went down on from my Chevy truck to a brand new Wrangler.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I read Wrangler Sports are the third cheapest vehicle to insure and the cheapest US made one. I too was surprised when the insurance went down on from my Chevy truck to a brand new Wrangler.
My 2018 2dr Rubi costs less than our 2015 Honda Civic. Agent said it’s because Hondas get stolen a lot more often. 🤷‍♂️

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
As funny as that is I have a nice ass carbon fiber mountain bike and I only live about a 10 minute bike ride from my office. It’s not off the table for a few months.
Good time of the year around here to bike too. A doctor on my street rides an electric scooter to work about a mile or so.

I have mixed feelings about the 392 JL. That's a lot of temptation to go fast in something that handles like shit. Hell, they don't even steer very well. Death wobble still lurks around on the JL. But it'd be fun.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I respectfully disagree about "the best deal in the Wrangler" comment. Think of all of the problems that FCA has with internal combustion engine Jeeps right now. Also, the fact that their dealerships don't work on electric cars. Nobody has yet to explain to me why the ESS battery is necessary. You add all the complexity of an electric powerplant in addition to the conventional powerplant and it makes a very complex machine. All of this for 21 miles per 2 hour "fast charge". I think there is a good reason why Chevrolet no longer makes the Volt. If I was going electric, I'd go for the VW ID.4.

FCA does have to start selling electric vehicles to stop making Elon Musk rich with regulatory credits. I don't even want to know how much FCA paid Tesla for the "privilege" of making my Jeep.
It's the cheapest way to get into a wrangler Rubicon with the tax credits and it's a fairly loaded one at that. 22city and 29 highway mpg even if you never plug it in compared to the 17 combined we average from our 2019 jlur. 375hp and a 392 matching 470ftlbs of torque at an out the door price about $25-35k lower after tax credits and gas guzzler tax CA would hit me with for the 392. Obviously it's no tesla or even a prius, but it is the best value in the WRANGLER market hands down. Dealers may be inexperienced with electric vehicles, but at the end of the day it's an electric motor and some batteries not rocket science. The electric drive is far more simple than an internal combustion engine.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
So I totaled my Mercedes on Friday night. Was going too fast and lost control. Looking at Jeep’s since I already use my wife’s all the time.

I really like the 392 but since I just got in an accident going too fast (no one else or other vehicles involved) I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. I also saw a statement from FCA that said all vehicles in 2022 from FCA will ship with U Connect 5.

I definitely want a Rubcion but wondering if I should just use a car lease app for a 6 months until 2022 vehicles are released.

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Totaled Mercedes. What’s Next? 219D89A0-F24F-4605-8E19-64554B512210
meh , stop being so cheap and get that AMG G 63 😀

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It's the cheapest way to get into a wrangler Rubicon with the tax credits and it's a fairly loaded one at that. 22city and 29 highway mpg even if you never plug it in compared to the 17 combined we average from our 2019 jlur. 375hp and a 392 matching 470ftlbs of torque at an out the door price about $25-35k lower after tax credits and gas guzzler tax CA would hit me with for the 392. Obviously it's no tesla or even a prius, but it is the best value in the WRANGLER market hands down. Dealers may be inexperienced with electric vehicles, but at the end of the day it's an electric motor and some batteries not rocket science. The electric drive is far more simple than an internal combustion engine.
Friends have told me how expensive it is to register a high displacement vehicle in California. Car registrations in Florida are so cheap that we don't even think about it. Gasoline is pretty cheap here too.

As I understand it the electric drive is before the transmission, therefore you have the additive complexity of an EV with an ICE vehicle. The torque may be fun, but I turn a wrench on my own vehicles and it wouldn't be worth it to me. As I said in my earlier post, Chevrolet discontinued the Volt for some reason. They kept the Bolt as it is a true EV and worth building.

IF you don't keep your vehicles past the warranty period, the 4xe may be totally worth it! If you keep your vehicles as long as I do the financials don't make sense (I currently own: 2002 Civic 268K, 2013 Odyssey 94K, 2014 Tundra 58K, 2021 Wrangler under 1K).

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I don't even want to know how much FCA paid Tesla for the "privilege" of making my Jeep.
FCA only fronted the money. The privilege is paid for by all of us. Totally worth it!

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Coming from an AMG Mercedes to a Jeep, slow down a bit and enjoy the ride:like:

Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
If money is no object and you must have the feel and sound of a V8, the 392 is available.

I bet you already know what you want given your current experience with jeeps. I say get exactly what you want even if it means waiting for a 2022, just be advised that Jeep is fond of pulling colors without warning!
I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if there are any 2021 Wrangler 392's not already spoken for. I asked my dealer last week and was told they received an allocation of 4 and they were all taken.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if there are any 2021 Wrangler 392's not already spoken for. I asked my dealer last week and was told they received an allocation of 4 and they were all taken.
More of a reason to ride my bike to work until I get tired of that. Then steal my wife’s Jeep. And then maybe use Turo for short term lease until 2022s are released.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Contrary to popular posting, if you want to put a topper on the speed bug then I suggest buying a Jeep. You're not going to be taking turns going very fast because you will feel the Jeep start to slide and hear those tires screeching and it will force you to be more cautious...especially in the rain or having any type of dampness on the ground. I grandma around turns unless I want to hear the chirp and break traction for a little wiggle action to make my commutes more lively.

Devil's advocate though, the JL is more than capable of still being fun albeit in a straight line and not too aggressive lane switching and will get into the triple digits easily and shock those sporty coupes and speedsters hoping to cut you off on the highway. The real prize is off-roading obviously as well as having fun in deep snow and fjording high water.

There an awesome trail up the mountains out to an ancient forest near Bishop, CA. Take some days out to Capitol Reef and Canyon Lands National Parks in UT also. You'll forget about going fast on pavement and have much more fun.