Sponsored

Total loss for my Willys...but i'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What JeezaJeep said!!! You'll get another Jeep .. Greatful you're still here with us Jeep peeps! Heal up brother!
Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you’re ok.

There’s a 2 door Rubicon at a nearby dealer to me, same colour as yours..not sure if it’s manual or auto.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
So glad that you are OK. BE sure to get a good lawyer to help with all the little things that you don't think about. Also be careful about what you post because that can be used against you if the insurance company tries to play hardball. I may be an over cautious Californian about it, but protect yourself. Sometimes injuries can appear weeks or months later, after you have already signed off on all the damages and then you are stuck with the resulting expenses (except in other countries that take care of their citizens differently).
Again, very happy to hear that you had only very minor injuries considering what hit you and how fast it was going!! All the best on the search.
I live in Quebec. We're bullet proof protected and my pain killers are already paid by my office. No need for a lawyer, the SAAQ (Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec) and insurances already took care of it.

All I have to think about is to get better.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That is interesting, you'd think that they would just apply the USD/CAD exchange rate and price their Canadian vehicles appropriately. But then with the silliness of the Central Banks these days who knows what a Canadian or United States dollar is anymore? I certainly wouldn't think that Stellantis prices their vehicles in Canada at parity with the USD. But then I don't know much about Canada other than I wish they had Tim Hortons down here in Florida.
They can't just apply the currency rate. It fluctuates about 10 times a day on a slow day. So by the time you sign the contract, it wouldn't be the same price 5 minutes later. THAT would be stupid.

So prices are decided every year, with every new model arriving.

If you simply applied currency rates, nobody would buy new cars in Canada. It'd be just too expensive.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Glad you’re ok.

There’s a 2 door Rubicon at a nearby dealer to me, same colour as yours..not sure if it’s manual or auto.
My dealer tried to get it. Your AB dealer started laughing, saying there's no way he's taking a tax hit sending the car in Quebec.

I get him. He'll probably sell it full price anyway.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
You've been paying that hospital bill your whole life. You are just cashing in now.
That's not exactly how it works. Employers pay a Health Tax, and that's what funds the majority of the system. Income tax picks up the rest.

@JLBoucher ... it's highly unlikely a truck's brakes "just failed". They just don't work that way. If it was a loss of air, or the air pressure dipped below 60 psi, the spring emergency brakes would have come on.
What is more likely is that the brakes simply were not functioning by reason of out-of-adjustment, depleted shoes, or the foundation system was inoperative. Either way, all of this would have been known by the driver long before s/he took to the road. My guess is the truck driver is in a lot of trouble. Careless driving at a minimum.
If Quebec insurance is similar to Ontario's no fault, you will have accident benefits that you can take advantage of. Reach out to your insurance company (not the broker) and they will guide you through the process(es).
Remember, the insurance company, not the broker.
You probably know all this already, but the insurance company will assign an appraiser for your vehicle (property damage (PD)), and an adjuster for you (bodily injury (BI)). Together they will answer to another adjuster that will be handling your entire file. These people will be your best friends.
Lastly, your insurance company has an ombudsman. If at any point you are not satisfied with how your file is being handled, reach out to the ombudsman. Your insurance company pays these people to fight for you, the client, against the insurance company ... they get fired (without recourse) if they are ever found to be giving the insurance company any consideration vis-a-vis your file.
FWIW brokers are good places to buy insurance at good rates, but typically they are not so good at handling claims.

BTW ... glad you're okay :)

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Personal Injury claims in the United States are for the most part a total scam. In the state of Florida, almost every other commercial or billboard is a personal injury lawyer. I've been in a few accidents in my life and I've never pulled one of these bogus claims, and nobody has claimed one against me. People here look at it as "free money" and are willing to go to bogus Chiropractic appointments to back up their phony claim. I would figure probably 10% of PI claims are legitimate. I mean you have billboards like "Dan got me $1.5mln. Thanks Dan!", or billboards with money raining down from the heavens
So I get you understand why this law was passed.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That's not exactly how it works. Employers pay a Health Tax, and that's what funds the majority of the system. Income tax picks up the rest.

@JLBoucher ... it's highly unlikely a truck's brakes "just failed". They just don't work that way. If it was a loss of air, or the air pressure dipped below 60 psi, the spring emergency brakes would have come on.
What is more likely is that the brakes simply were not functioning by reason of out-of-adjustment, depleted shoes, or the foundation system was inoperative. Either way, all of this would have been known by the driver long before s/he took to the road. My guess is the truck driver is in a lot of trouble. Careless driving at a minimum.
If Quebec insurance is similar to Ontario's no fault, you will have accident benefits that you can take advantage of. Reach out to your insurance company (not the broker) and they will guide you through the process(es).
Remember, the insurance company, not the broker.
You probably know all this already, but the insurance company will assign an appraiser for your vehicle (property damage (PD)), and an adjuster for you (bodily injury (BI)). Together they will answer to another adjuster that will be handling your entire file. These people will be your best friends.
Lastly, your insurance company has an ombudsman. If at any point you are not satisfied with how your file is being handled, reach out to the ombudsman. Your insurance company pays these people to fight for you, the client, against the insurance company ... they get fired (without recourse) if they are ever found to be giving the insurance company any consideration vis-a-vis your file.
FWIW brokers are good places to buy insurance at good rates, but typically they are not so good at handling claims.
It's all taken care of already. No worries. Thanks for caring.

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
Glad you are OK.

If it was me there are a few small differences I would order on a new one based on my limited time owning the one I have, though I realize the long wait will suck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Just let the Yankees think we pay hundreds of billions for a crappy system (as reported by FOX News). They like to think it can't be done in the USA. Meanwhile, we know it's quite good. ;)

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

[
Yes, I understand that. The point is "he is covered" as the OP stated because he's been paying for it the entire time one way or another. Even when an employer pays a tax, that cost is always passed down to the consumer.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Personal Injury claims in the United States are for the most part a total scam. In the state of Florida, almost every other commercial or billboard is a personal injury lawyer. I've been in a few accidents in my life and I've never pulled one of these bogus claims, and nobody has claimed one against me. People here look at it as "free money" and are willing to go to bogus Chiropractic appointments to back up their phony claim. I would figure probably 10% of PI claims are legitimate. I mean you have billboards like "Dan got me $1.5mln. Thanks Dan!", or billboards with money raining down from the heavens
I expect if you ever get seriously injured in an accident you will change your tune pretty quick. Those ongoing medical bills and time off from work don't magically pay for themselves.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Glad you are OK.

If it was me there are a few small differences I would order on a new one based on my limited time owning the one I have, though I realize the long wait will suck.
I'll wait and see what the dealer can do for me. I'll meet him next week. I'd be surprised if it ends up in anything else than a new order since there's nothing in Quebec lots anyway...

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Glad you're ok.

I somehow ended up with a huge package of Canadian toilet paper. I can send you a few rolls. They don't fit my American hands/butt as well as I'm used to.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.