Sponsored

Total loss for my Willys...but i'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
In Quebec, the "no fault" law protects drivers from getting sued, if the accident isn't a fault. In this case, he didn't hit me on purpose: his brakes failed.
I did vehicle inspections on big rigs. The brakes don't just fail. It a maintenance issue.
Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I live in Quebec. We're bullet proof protected and my pain killers are already paid by my office. No need for a lawyer, the SAAQ (Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec) and insurances already took care of it.

All I have to think about is to get better.
Keep in mind that spinal injuries, vertebra and disc injuries can take years to manifest. In my case it took four years from my collision date for my disc to start causing problems. Just keep that in mind if you start having back, neck or head complications

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
That's not exactly how it works. Employers pay a Health Tax, and that's what funds the majority of the system. Income tax picks up the rest.

@JLBoucher ... it's highly unlikely a truck's brakes "just failed". They just don't work that way. If it was a loss of air, or the air pressure dipped below 60 psi, the spring emergency brakes would have come on.
What is more likely is that the brakes simply were not functioning by reason of out-of-adjustment, depleted shoes, or the foundation system was inoperative. Either way, all of this would have been known by the driver long before s/he took to the road. My guess is the truck driver is in a lot of trouble. Careless driving at a minimum.
If Quebec insurance is similar to Ontario's no fault, you will have accident benefits that you can take advantage of. Reach out to your insurance company (not the broker) and they will guide you through the process(es).
Remember, the insurance company, not the broker.
You probably know all this already, but the insurance company will assign an appraiser for your vehicle (property damage (PD)), and an adjuster for you (bodily injury (BI)). Together they will answer to another adjuster that will be handling your entire file. These people will be your best friends.
Lastly, your insurance company has an ombudsman. If at any point you are not satisfied with how your file is being handled, reach out to the ombudsman. Your insurance company pays these people to fight for you, the client, against the insurance company ... they get fired (without recourse) if they are ever found to be giving the insurance company any consideration vis-a-vis your file.
FWIW brokers are good places to buy insurance at good rates, but typically they are not so good at handling claims.

BTW ... glad you're okay :)
Unlikely but not impossible . I had this happen about a decade ago on a commercial bus. If I had someone about 10 to 15 car lengths in front of me ..they'd have been in trouble. I thought I was sliding on ice and the truth was I was driving on a hot summer day in the 90's. Had something similar happen to me again 5yrs back but I didn't lose braking to such a level. Still scary

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'll just have to get a new set of winter rubbers. These were destroyed in the accident and were put on the Jeep...last weekend.
Sorry... "Winter Rubbers"..... I totally had to, being a child of the 1980s.

Glad you found a nice Jeep, as Tom Petty would say "the waiting is the hardest part". Bring your Sarge Geen home and swear at the first scratch you get.

Sponsored

VTACH

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just have neck pains and a cut to my right hand from the broken glass (probably). That's it. Not even a concussion.
Hey bud I’m glad you’re ok! I can imagine how scary that must have been for you.

It’s interesting to me to read about different experiences / opinions on health care.

As an aside, if you were unconscious for 3 minutes I think it’s safe to say you did indeed suffer a concussion.

Recover well!

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Oh, they already did. They'll pay for the value of what my Jeep was worth brand new.
Glad you’re okay! Hopefully you’ll be able to make lemonade out of these lemons and get a new Jeep built out exactly the way you want it.

Taking the opportunity even changing a couple things here and there that you may have regretted either getting or not getting after the fact.

If it were me I’d order a totally different Jeep than what I got originally. I would go with the Hemi (no way in hell I’d go with the EcoD again) and would choose a much simpler lift than I got this time...

I’d also go Hydro blue instead of Granite Crystal

Heck I’d probably even go 38” instead of 40’s.

I’ve learned many a lesson on my Jeep build this time around. Try to make the most of a bad situation and do the same!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Keep in mind that spinal injuries, vertebra and disc injuries can take years to manifest. In my case it took four years from my collision date for my disc to start causing problems. Just keep that in mind if you start having back, neck or head complications
Medical follow-ups are mandatory, after a total loss accident, for the next 10 years. Say what you will: we know how to handle things in Quebec. :)

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In Quebec, the "no fault" law protects drivers from getting sued, if the accident isn't a fault. In this case, he didn't hit me on purpose: his brakes failed.

If, on the other hand, he got me because he was texting or under the influence of alcohol or drugs, these are criminal offenses.

That law was passed in the '70s to make sure drivers don't brake check people (for example) just so they could sue and claim big bucks.

It's kind of a good thing to make sure people don't go bankrupt just because their car failed.
A brake failure is not a no fault issue, someone was responsible to keep the commercial vehicle in proper running order. If the brakes have a maintenance log, then the person who did the work did something wrong, or was negligent.

WaX

Status
Not open for further replies.