Sponsored

Torque Converter Bleed off after sitting a couple three days.

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Jeep, 2500 dodge, ctsv cad, corolla toy, sportster HD
So my Jlum with 3.6 and 8 spd doesn't want to move after sitting a few days. I can put it in gear and take my foot off the break and it won't move for about 20 to 30 seconds until the torque converter pumps up. Then it will slowly start to move. Has anyone else had this experience?
Or do I need to visit the Dealer? I have a Dodge Quad Cab Diesel that does the same thing. Been living with that for 19 years.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've had my JLUR 8 sp auto for a year and half/10,000 miles, which means it gets a lot of short trips and being a 3rd vehicle for 2 of us, it sits for weeks. It has never done that. I think I'd take it in for service. It could be low fluid or air getting in the cooler lines. Regardless, it shouldn't do that.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So my Jlum with 3.6 and 8 spd doesn't want to move after sitting a few days. I can put it in gear and take my foot off the break and it won't move for about 20 to 30 seconds until the torque converter pumps up. Then it will slowly start to move. Has anyone else had this experience?
Or do I need to visit the Dealer? I have a Dodge Quad Cab Diesel that does the same thing. Been living with that for 19 years.
I would visit the dealer and see what's up. I've got 13k on my 2.0 and it's never done that.

Actually any of the 8spds in my family have never experienced that either, chargers/300s, GCs, etc.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have never driven or even seen any car in my life that does that. If you own 2 cars that do this.. Curiously.. not sure if it has to do with how you drive them?

OP
OP

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never driven or even seen any car in my life that does that. If you own 2 cars that do this.. Curiously.. not sure if it has to do with how you drive them?
Well the truck will sit for weeks at a time and the Jeep might sit for 3 to 5 days at a time. The truck has 225000 miles and it is just the way it behaves.
Jeep has 13000 miles but it didn't start acting like this until about 11000 miles.
I did drive it more for a while, then I do now. If I drive it every day then it doesn't hesitate when I put it in gear. If I take it to Dealer and it just sits for one night it won't act up. I really don't want to leave it for any length of time at the Dealer.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hmm I've had tired E4OD's do this, never knew exactly what it was....and I'm still not convinced it's an issue of filling the TC but maybe.

Please try to get it fixed and let us know conclusively. My JL will often sit for 3+ days but it has never acted this way

OP
OP

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm I've had tired E4OD's do this, never knew exactly what it was....and I'm still not convinced it's an issue of filling the TC but maybe.

Please try to get it fixed and let us know conclusively. My JL will often sit for 3+ days but it has never acted this way
Thanks, I guess i'll have to take the catch can off before Dealer. Don't want them voiding any warranty. I also thing I'll wait for this covid crap to calm down before I go.

OP
OP

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that you said that I do get a whining sound when it's acting up. Do you know how to check the fill level? Or how to fill it? I'm guessing that there is a plug for emptying and one for filling and it most likely needs to be a certain temp.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I'd be more worried about working myself on the transmission, than about a catch can in regard to warranty...

I.e. if the thing were to have a clogged pump suction, then something is wrong > warranty.
If it were to be low on oil, regardless of the reason why > warranty.

If low on oil, and after your correction the issue still persist, you'll have to take it to a dealer anyway.
If you don't, keep driving it as is, but later on need to take it in anyway because things are getting even worse, then not taking it immediately in for inspection from the moment the issue came up the first time, that might be a reason to void warranty, as it was your choice to make things even worse ;) The latter is a warranty rule many companies, and the one I'm working for do apply.

Anyways, the attached might be of interest for you, if you really insist of fiddling around with your transmission.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be more worried about working myself on the transmission, than about a catch can in regard to warranty...

I.e. if the thing were to have a clogged pump suction, then something is wrong > warranty.
If it were to be low on oil, regardless of the reason why > warranty.

If low on oil, and after your correction the issue still persist, you'll have to take it to a dealer anyway.
If you don't, keep driving it as is, but later on need to take it in anyway because things are getting even worse, then not taking it immediately in for inspection from the moment the issue came up the first time, that might be a reason to void warranty, as it was your choice to make things even worse ;) The latter is a warranty rule many companies, and the one I'm working for do apply.

Anyways, the attached might be of interest for you, if you really insist of fiddling around with your transmission.
Thank you, that's some good info. I think your right I should have the dealer take a look at least to get it documented so if it does get worse I'll have a case. Thanks for the file I knew it would be a pain in the butt to mess with the fluid. Do you know if there is a filter to change under the pan?

Sponsored

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
My Vette did this at about 6k on the odometer. Had to have a new torque converter. Better see the dealer before warranty is gone.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Noise from the trans can be the pump. It could be sucking air/low fluid or just headed south. As stated earlier: low fluid...why? = Dealer. Bad components= Dealer. If it's low on fluid, chances are they'll just fill it, but that starts the record of an issue that could help if the trans needs warranty service/replacement.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Do you know if there is a filter to change under the pan?
No, the PH8 unit has an internal filter which is actually PART of the oil pan. It is possible to split both, but not recommended. A throughout oil change does include a new pan/filter combination, and is sold as such in combination with the right oil quantity and quality, I.e. a complete kit.
Sponsored