Sponsored

Topsy Lift thread

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
On the secondary, you jump on a ladder to connect? Also, you “long term” store your HT because you put the soft top on?

I’d like to do something similar but only have a HT so I want to make it very easy to connect without a ladder.
No ladder, just a step stool. I didn't need the secondary, just made me feel better. Without the secondary, you can probably take the hard top off in 5 minutes. It takes longer to remove the 8 bolts than it does to lift it off.
I'm in Arizona, so I will most likely have the hard top stored from October-Dec, then again from Feb-April..
Sponsored

OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No ladder, just a step stool. I didn't need the secondary, just made me feel better. Without the secondary, you can probably take the hard top off in 5 minutes. It takes longer to remove the 8 bolts than it does to lift it off.
I'm in Arizona, so I will most likely have the hard top stored from October-Dec, then again from Feb-April..
I’m in chicago so i’ll be doing on/off thing. I’d be doing secondary if months at a time and still may do it for just day(s).

Thanks brew211

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've decided that my current configuration works great with the electric hoist. and won't be needing the replacement plates for the Racor lift that Topsy sent. Topsy sent them to me for free as an apology for a shipping delay. It wasn't that long of a delay, and I wasn't in a hurry for my kit so it wasn't necessary (though appreciated). Instead of letting them sit unused, or selling them, I'm going to give them away. First come first serve, whoever wants them let me know, and I'll send them to you.

OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've decided that my current configuration works great with the electric hoist. and won't be needing the replacement plates for the Racor lift that Topsy sent. Topsy sent them to me for free as an apology for a shipping delay. It wasn't that long of a delay, and I wasn't in a hurry for my kit so it wasn't necessary (though appreciated). Instead of letting them sit unused, or selling them, I'm going to give them away. First come first serve, whoever wants them let me know, and I'll send them to you.
Can I grab them? Thanks!!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yup.

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
I installed the racor rack and topsy pieces the other day and, just today, at long last, removed the roof of my JL.

It went well-enough, I guess. I had difficulties with the front brackets and getting them to rest comfortably and symmetrically. I confirmed that I had ordered the correct parts. I searched for photos of the install on a two door JL...no luck, just unlimited after unlimited. The Topsy site didn’t provide any additional information than is found in the printed installation instructions, which are, well, not very detailed.

It being after 5 pm on a Friday, and the whole roof-removal process in full-swing (bolts off, JL positioned, etc), I chose to modify things a titch: I moved the forward hockey-stick shaped brackets inward about 3 inches each. In other words, the brackets are no longer held in place with the eye-bolts at the edges of the front bar. See photos. It works great.

Now the question is did I perform the initial installation incorrectly? Or was I sent an incorrect pair of forward brackets?

E86C3792-0703-4065-AE88-20991EAF48D8.jpeg

92047C45-9AD6-4F06-96A2-D4B3CB6F0D52.jpeg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks good to me. Is the Racor platform completely square? If you turn it 90° is the rack slightly smaller that way (if only a few inches), which would possibly put the brackets where you now have them?
Either way it looks like you took care of it. Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Looks good to me. Is the Racor platform completely square? If you turn it 90° is the rack slightly smaller that way (if only a few inches), which would possibly put the brackets where you now have them?
Either way it looks like you took care of it. Improvise, adapt and overcome.
Yeah, I hear ya. There’s a small part of me which looks forward to problems and their subsequent solutions. Regarding the 90 degree turn suggestion, no, I don’t think that that would work because the front and rear attachment points are intended to be supported by the rectangular bars. I guess one could add a pair of bars or maybe right angle rods...too complex.

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
So I got an interesting problem. I ended up snapping the bolt while installing the brackets. Any idea on how to fix it. I think I need to extract the bolt using the the extractor but need to find an identical bolt .

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
So I got an interesting problem. I ended up snapping the bolt while installing the brackets. Any idea on how to fix it. I think I need to extract the bolt using the the extractor but need to find an identical bolt .
Glad I am not the only one! Lol. I had to extract the broken bolt...which was the biggest pain since it’s sooooo small. I picked up an easy out kit and used the smallest one in it. I found a replacement at the local hardware store. Just took one from the opposite side and matched them up. Forgot the size.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I finnaly got a buddy over to help me get the lift installed. Works great, just needs to cool off so I can switch to the soft top. We tried 3 stud finders but the magnetic one was what finally did the trick.

I have two of the replacement plates from Topsy for free after I paid for a set. I'm in Phoenix is anyone wants them.

OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I am not the only one! Lol. I had to extract the broken bolt...which was the biggest pain since it’s sooooo small. I picked up an easy out kit and used the smallest one in it. I found a replacement at the local hardware store. Just took one from the opposite side and matched them up. Forgot the size.
Which bolt are you guys breaking off? Sounds like something to watch out for. Thx.

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
Which bolt are you guys breaking off? Sounds like something to watch out for. Thx.
The ones that you have to loosen to slide the bracket underneath.

I finally got the bolt out today, it helps that father and brother own a machine shop so they new exactly what to do. It was still pain in the butt as it's really small bolt. Smallest extractor did the job. Now I have to find a replacement at home Depot or Lowe's.

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
Not much to watch out for. I was just stupid and over torqued. Can’t speak for the other guy.