First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
4 pieces of black furniture pvc, cargo net from eBay, some ties and boom - instant dog cover for under $80 - if i flip the Jeep she’ll be in the vehicle _ we go everywhere together and this gives her more freedom

7E0358FD-3966-4124-ADE6-2BB8D4B86E7C.jpeg
Sponsored

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Here are my pups. They love Jeep rides!

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg
I hope someone will respond to my new inquiry! I like this set-up but it is needed for 2 bernese mountain dogs of 100 and 115 lb. is the cargo strap holding with velcro or buckles?
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 06E5486F-E6BE-418B-8168-B29036DA7AF4

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I hope someone will respond to my new inquiry! I like this set-up but it is needed for 2 bernese mountain dogs of 100 and 115 lb. is the cargo strap holding with velcro or buckles?
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 06E5486F-E6BE-418B-8168-B29036DA7AF4
Velcro. My dogs aren't that big, but I have never had an issue with the strap coming off. You can try two straps maybe? But I can see them getting tangled when going back and forth. I also put the window up a tiny bit because one of my pups like to place his front paws on the opening of the window area.

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I'm scared to put my dogs in my jeep with the soft top... they go in crates, in the bed of the 1500 with the camper shell on

VideoCapture_20210111-163351.jpg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
4 pieces of black furniture pvc, cargo net from eBay, some ties and boom - instant dog cover for under $80 - if i flip the Jeep she’ll be in the vehicle _ we go everywhere together and this gives her more freedom

Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in VideoCapture_20210111-163351
If you flip the Jeep, or if she really wants out, she will be through that flimsy set up in less time than it takes to say
" O Sh#t ". A harness designed and tested for restraint, and solid anchor points will help. The understanding of " kinetic energy " would be covered with your avatar image, or maybe not...

Sponsored

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Allright, I found my solution. I found motorcycle tie-down loops that I will place on the 3rd horizontal sports bar of my JLU, use carabiners and tie the leashes there. I already had harnesses hooking up to the safety belts when I had my RAM with crewcab and flat floor option. Dogs will have plenty of space to move around in the Jeep with the seats down. Now comes some additional questions:

1) I'm thinking of adding sports bar padding to prevent a) the loops to slide and scratch the bar (I suspect the carabiners will somewhat swing) b) protect the dogs from hitting the bars. What is your opinion on this, and anyone has experience with some brands? It needs to be compatible with the OEM soft top function without any mods from y side. I looked at Koverz. also: I hav the Altitude package, so I'm black on blakc everywhere: should I stay black or go crazy and go for red?

2) I'm sure I'll require a bikini top to give the dogs some shade in the back. I would like to have the option to keep shade in the back , and go full sun in the front. Any suggestion of a good bikini top that would allow that, and one at that whcih does not require 30 min to remove the front portion of it?

3) I'm also looking for a soft top cover to protect it from the dogs when folded down. I can see one of my dogs chewing on it...

Thx for the advices and recommendations!!!

Pat
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 1611245344367
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 1611245394781

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another stupid idea. Anyone ever thought about anchoring a construction safety reel line which would allow the dogs to move on a 6 ft line but would stop them in 12 in in the case of hard braking or collision?

61a6l7C7oJL._SL1000_.jpg

Devans

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep JK 2-door
I have a 2012 JK 2-door, back seat is out and bikini top. I use a harness for my Golden and made a couple paracord weaves to attach to the rear seat mounts. Works great, so far. She has just enough length to get her head out on the sides.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in IMG-4166

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2012 JK 2-door, back seat is out and bikini top. I use a harness for my Golden and made a couple paracord weaves to attach to the rear seat mounts. Works great, so far. She has just enough length to get her head out on the sides.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in IMG-4166
You mentioned having a Golden but you haven't paid the Golden Dog Tax?!?

Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in IMG_1996.JPG

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those interested, I received the dual fall arresters I found on Amazon. This will definitely work!

To repeat, I have two big Bernese Mountain Dogs that I carry in the back of my 2019 JLU. I had concerns about the dogs, even if restrained with a harness and and a short lead attached to whatever you use - the cargo tie-down loops in the floor or the sport bars.

Everybody seems to have one worry, which is maintaining the dogs inside the jeep when the top is down, which is legitimate. However, under hard breaking or a frontal accident, your dog will not only been thrown around to the length of the lead you have, but may also become a deadly projectile. Having 200 pounds of dogs travelling at 5G or 10G toward your seat or your neck can have deadly consequences not only for the dogs, but for you and your front passenger.

This idea of using fll arresters came to me. I still was not convinced 100% since I'm a pencil pusher by trade, so I never used them. I was wondering if they would work at any angle, the idea being of using a strong loop on the 3rd sport bar in the back and clipping those restraints there, with their lead attached toeach dogs' harnesses. Being up and on a swivel would help prevent some entanglement(not all), and would stop the dogs in their tracks in case of a crash. Putting it on the last sport bar would prevent having a long lead out when they are in the back, thus prevnting the pendulum effect that could happen if i would put it on the speaker bar.

So, as I said, I just received them and hold and behold, it works at any angle and the brake works based on the speed at which the lead is pulled. It actually stops in mere inches (max 2,5"!!!). This is great!!! These have a 6 ft lead each, and for those worried about their dogs jumping out, the lead brake is very sensistive - as soon as your dog would try to jump, he will be stopped in 2,5 in!. I actually think the dogs will have to learn to move slowly around the back - that's how sensitive it is.

I will try them with the dogs when I have them (I shar the dogs with my ex), sometime Thursday. Meanwhile, here's a picture of the product. I selected the small hooks. I will post a video of their stopping power once I figure out a way to film at the same time as holding that contraption.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in dog restraints

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so here‘s my set-up! Need to make a better anchor to the sport bar. Right now, those are motorbike handle bar trailer tie-downs.

i clamped the restraints to the floor tie downs for effect.

4256C675-9678-4DC4-BCAF-2640B1C5B91C.jpeg

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so here‘s my set-up! Need to make a better anchor to the sport bar. Right now, those are motorbike handle bar trailer tie-downs.

i clamped the restraints to the floor tie downs for effect.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 4256C675-9678-4DC4-BCAF-2640B1C5B91C

so, here’s the result. Works very well! I do need to improve the sport bar installation. Based on tie-down ratings, it should support each dog deceleration up to 12G. Don’t ever want to test it..,

Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 5EF2D2B7-247E-49A0-A622-3C22C39F8A3C
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in 3FD1027D-EF49-4EE0-B54B-C65CDBB9B6B9
Jeep Wrangler JL Tops off... Dogs in D50419A1-375D-4AB7-8C16-D81F5F757BC4