Sponsored

Toplift Pro Lifting Pad / Stability Question

XJConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUW; 23 DR650; 89 TW200
Hey all,

Got around to trying out the tlp today on my 2024 JLU, and have some questions for current owners about the lifting pad placement and overall stability.

1. Image attached, is this where the pads should go? It seems like the front pads were meant to go on that crossbar, but I can’t quite slide the tlp under the top far enough to make that happen. As such, it feels like the center of gravity of the top isn’t quite right, and the lifting angle is more forward-tilted than it should be, which leads to

2. Does yours feel super sketchy when lifting off the top? Mine definitely lifts the back of the top first, and I have to kinda pull down on the back of the top while lifting; it very much wants to tilt forward, but not quite enough to actually fall forward, more just balance on the front pads. This makes it feel super sketchy to wheel backwards so I can even get the supports in, and still has a fair amount of forward tilt. Even with the supports in, it is not terribly stable and quite wobbly, which I know doesn’t mean it will fall over, but I definitely expected more out of a $1k product. I’m pretty mechanically capable and followed all instructions, so I don’t feel it’s an assembly error.

Im mostly asking since it seems other folks have had better experiences with the tlp

IMG_7165.jpeg

IMG_7163.jpeg
Sponsored

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
1. I push it as far in as I can. Hehe

2. yes. Sketchy as hell. Bounces and wobbles. Didn’t feel good about it so much that I built a rig and cinched the top up to the ceiling of my garage.

OP
OP

XJConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. I push it as far in as I can. Hehe

2. yes. Sketchy as hell. Bounces and wobbles. Didn’t feel good about it so much that I built a rig and cinched the top up to the ceiling of my garage.
1. Lol; but also, so do I, this is as far forward on the top as I can get it

2. I would love to do that, but unfortunately can't attach to the garage ceiling or put a hoist in the attic. I could maybe put a safety catch sort of thing on the wall behind the lift though, just to give it some extra failsafe/strength

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
I use it to lift it off but generally slide the top further back after it’s up. Takes a little strength to move it back like that then a few bungies placed strategically hold it well enough. But I only take the hard top off once a year and reinstall in fall. I preferred my old garage ceiling winch.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
If I didn’t have wild ass little boys to worry about it falling on I would have been fine leaving it honestly.

Sponsored

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLu Rubicon
I have used on my ‘19 since new. Always had issues with the bars. I lift off, roll it back, install the bars, then put where ever want in garage.

I do not use towels like you do, wonder if that is making not feel as well planted.

Also when putting back roll it up, remove the bars, then finish rolling in positions. Finally o spruged for the automatic lift - it is much smoother and controlled than my lifting. It was a game changer on ease.

OP
OP

XJConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have used on my ‘19 since new. Always had issues with the bars. I lift off, roll it back, install the bars, then put where ever want in garage.

I do not use towels like you do, wonder if that is making not feel as well planted.

Also when putting back roll it up, remove the bars, then finish rolling in positions. Finally o spruged for the automatic lift - it is much smoother and controlled than my lifting. It was a game changer on ease.
Perhaps, though they are quite thin washcloths I put there just to keep the headliner as nice as possible, and they're all the same thickness. Even with the bars on, it leans forward quite a bit. After the initial lift, rolling it back so I can put the bars on is a bit nerve-wracking, if I don't hold down on the back of the top while rolling it, the top does want to tilt forward off the rear pads. With the supports in, its obviously better, but the lightest touch makes the whole thing wobble for a while (which I know doesn't mean it will fall, just not sure if this is normal). If this is normal, I suppose thats fine, just expected more given nature and number of positive reviews here that never mentioned this, and the price.

On your 19, do the front pads land in the recessed part of your top like mine, or do they go under that horizontal 'crossbar' in the fiberglass just in front of where mine are?

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLu Rubicon
They go to the very front. That is why o have to bring it back and install, or remove just before going all the way forward. Also the hogher ot goes the more the tip forward so keep only as high as needed when storing.

Really is a nice piece. Took a while for me to get comfortable with as too was nervous it would fall off. Now I just roll around and make sure does not sway and put a hand to support if needed.

OP
OP

XJConvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They go to the very front. That is why o have to bring it back and install, or remove just before going all the way forward. Also the hogher ot goes the more the tip forward so keep only as high as needed when storing.

Really is a nice piece. Took a while for me to get comfortable with as too was nervous it would fall off. Now I just roll around and make sure does not sway and put a hand to support if needed.
thanks for the replies, sorry I wasn’t more clear - by “front pads” I didn’t mean the black support arms, but the front pads of the “main lift” / green structure that you use for the initial lift before the support arms go on

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
Yours looks a little odd. Are you missing those black rubber/plastic pieces on the top or is it covered by the towels?

Jeep Wrangler JL Toplift Pro Lifting Pad / Stability Question 1713137698581-66

I ended up getting these -

Jeep Wrangler JL Toplift Pro Lifting Pad / Stability Question 1713137837525-i9

and put them between the TopLift and my top - I have the HotHead liner on there and didn't want to create a spot.

It is a bit wobbly when you first pull the top off and before you put the extension arms on there. I also have a thin piece of cardboard between the rubber bumper on the extension arm where it touches the top as I didn't want the rubber to leach a stain. Once you have the arms in place and dialed in, I find the setup to be very solid.

I actually lifted with the furniture movers on, which took a bit more calibrating, and then once I had everything set up, I moved them around to be more even on the lift arms as well.
Sponsored