Topless Drivers

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
How many of you long time jeep drivers drive topless? I used too. I would have a bikini top at most from spring until late fall. Drive fast and don't get wet. Then I got a motorcycle. If I wanted wind in my face, I just rode it.

I like the capability of a jeep but rarely take the top off. How about you?

(Women with topless driving stories are encouraged to post!) :like:
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've kept the top lowered, for as long as possible/practical, on every convertible that I've owned.

Full disclosure: all of them were/are parked in a garage at night. Also, concerning my two Wranglers, I only ever folded the tops back. The soft tops themselves, and the accompanying framework, weren't removed. That's not to say that I won't experiment with doing so on the new JLUS. I just prefer the convenience of not having to race home, or look for an overpass to park under, if or when a pop-up rain storm occurs. I'll wear my rain gear when riding the motorcycle, but not when I'm driving. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Interesting. I never really rode with the top down. I just took it off. For full time I had cloth doors a bikini top and a behind the seat windbreaker. This was almost halfway weather tight. My JL is my first jeep with carpet too.

I am old now and my enclosed jeep fends off the elements (I used to ride my motorcycleuntil it got below 20 degrees too. No more). A hardtop was not to be found when I bought. I figure if the aftermarket catches up I will get one.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Been there and done that. Skin cancer’s no fun, put a top on the darn thing in daylight.
Too many years of fun in the sun was awarded with melanoma (s) for me. My oncologist informs me (now) that even a hat isn't sufficient to protect the head. So, lessons learned the hard way, my top stays on and the panels come off occasionally after sunset. Trust me, friends, you do not want skin cancer.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Mine’s been topless and doorless since August. I just put them back on yesterday. Good times. Then again, it’s a third vehicle that rarely gets driven and stays in the garage whenever it isn’t. My main concern is dust. I can’t control it to save my life.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Since I have 2 young kids and a wife that passes out if she so much as looks at the sun (when not at the beach) now, AC is usually on during the summers, even with the soft top. I use the sunrider a lot too when it's decent. The top only usually comes all the way down in the mornings (usually on the way home from work) and evening, and on the trail. I've got a sun shade but that is only good until about 85 degrees and then it just gets hot in the shade.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Same concerns as above, benefit of the Sky One Touch and works even more so with a spiderwebshade.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My oncologist informs me (now) that even a hat isn't sufficient to protect the head.
Hats aren't sufficient for bald men, or even for those of us with a full head of hair? Serious inquiry; I spend a lot of time outside, and I hate headwear in all of its forms.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Spent the whole summer with the top off but if I were to park it somewhere or the sun was too strong I would use it safari mode. Was caught in the rain once so I put the safari top and kept going - was surprisingly dry!

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Hats aren't sufficient for bald men, or even for those of us with a full head of hair? Serious inquiry; I spend a lot of time outside, and I hate headwear in all of its forms.
I was never a fan of hats either. According to what I've been told by the folks who I now have to visit regularly - oncologist, dermatologist, surgeon/plastic surgeon - a hat and sun screen help but don't fully protect. Skin cancer can also attack any unprotected skin - scalp (even with hair), face, hands, etc. I've spent all of my 75 years in sunny climes - Central America, Southeast Asia, American Southwest and South - and pretty much ignored sunscreen and protective clothing. My advice, which I would have largely ignored when I was younger, is don't expose your skin to the sun any more than necessary. I've noted that all the doctors mentioned above show no sun damage on their faces or hands. If you do go 'topless' dress appropriately and wear gloves. (I wear gloves when driving with the top on.)
Sponsored