Sponsored

Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I'm guessing, but I'd wager it has to do with the dynamic stability of the Wrangler/trailer combo. While you can physically pull heavier loads, you can't necessarily keep it under control when in motion.
Yup. Tow ratings in the USA have very little to do with the capability of the powertrain, and everything to do with dynamic stability. This article is very illuminating:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611/1609771499
Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
In Australia, the JKU/JLU has a 4400 lb max tow capability, but only if you are using a trailer that has it's own brakes.
Doesn't Australia typically limit speed while towing to 100 kph (62 mph)? That alone would explain the difference.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I have no issue with the vehicle itself, and see that the inevitable dick measuring contests have only begun to fester.. Should be an entertaining ride.
The measuring was done long ago. It's the compensating that is commencing now.

:cwl::cwl:

:movember:

Sponsored

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 370z, 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2014 Impreza, 2008 Escape, 2003 Pathfinder
For me, in no particular order:

1. Weight, did not loose enough
2. No manual transmission, 2.0T
3. No manual transmission, Diesel
4. No GDI for the 3.6

Maybe FCA can rectify items 2,3 soon. For item 4, when is an expected refresh? If I remember it was 5 years to get the 3.6 in the JK.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
For me, in no particular order:
2. No manual transmission, 2.0T
3. No manual transmission, Diesel

Maybe FCA can rectify items 2,3 soon
If they didn't launch with manuals, it'll never hapen. Manuals are in the decline and almost certanly not worth the RnD. Even with the 3.6 in the JK, it's not always easy to find a manual.

I wan't manuals on everything too, but the world changes.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Yup. Tow ratings in the USA have very little to do with the capability of the powertrain, and everything to do with dynamic stability. This article is very illuminating:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611/1609771499
Interesting article. On a somewhat related note, using my CJ-7 I flat towed my CJ-5 and Mustang several times with no issues whatsoever even on the highway. But there was essentially no tongue weight, and probably the 4 wheels of the towed vehicles made the towed item not likely to pitch around like a two wheeled trailer. Bottom line the CJ-7 was more than up to the task of pulling the loads which neared 3000 pounds, as if nothing was back there, but a trailer could be a different story related to dynamic stability.

Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
the thing I hate about the push button is that the fob is not recognized a lot. I have to dangle the one I have near the steering wheel in my wife's car for it to be recognized. I swapped the battery but that was not the problem. her fob works when its in her purse. I would rather have a regular key

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
the thing I hate about the push button is that the fob is not recognized a lot. I have to dangle the one I have near the steering wheel in my wife's car for it to be recognized. I swapped the battery but that was not the problem. her fob works when its in her purse. I would rather have a regular key
If it’s anything like my grand Cherokee it’ll work like a charm, zero issues with the key in my pocket etc.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
It's oviously fautly - why not get it fixed/replaced?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Only complaints I have are:

1) Price - Loaded Rubi is now in Raptor territory and a loaded ZR2 is cheaper (I know apples to oranges, but from a Offroad standpoint not far apart).

2) LEDs lights in the fenders already look dated (the org renderings on here looked much better)

3) Tow Capacity / payload - from a overlanding standpoint this is a bit of a let down

4) Hard top is the same as the JK (for the most part) and that the rumored removable panels never made it into production.

With that said I still love the JL and think its awesome.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
:facepalm: I guess I’ll never get back those 2 minutes.
I don’t know about you, but I find these threads negative and unproductive. The Debbie Downer threads. Why get a JL, then? Why not get a JK? Instead of what you don’t like about the JL, how about what you’re going to change on your new JL? Let’s face it, Jeep has the best after market and you have options.
Sponsored