Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

Harleydz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
I'm almost unsure about posting anything in this thread but, I'm currently not a Wrangler of any year owner. I am a Grand Cherokee Summit owner and have not been totally happy with the 4 or five recalls. Do have push button start/stop. Like it. Don't like the air suspension. Squirrelly on washboard roads. So much for that.
I am planning on getting a JLU probably a Sahara at least for now.
One thing I don't like is that it can only handle 3500 towing with a 350 tougue rating. I have a 3.6 with the 8 speed tyranny and it can handle 6200 lbs with a 620 tougue rating. The JLU should be able to handle 5k at least with anti sway control.

Call me a p* but I like convenience. I'm not a die hard off road errands but I do like to take trails and passes in Colorado and would like to pull a small travel trailer for off the grid staying.

Thanks all for your time. I enjoy reading all the threads for experienced comments and suggestions.
Oh and I'm not a P*. I spent my time in Army in 1969 and am now an old guy with a lot of things I still want to do.

Thanks again all.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lack of truly and fully being able to customize an order on their website at this stage of the game.

Diesel and V8 should be available right away. Interior and dashboard restrictions on colors and/or materials.

Deeper tailored customization straight from the factory is the name of the game. It gives most people a leg up on the starting point and the price hikes would be easier to swallow.
But then the price hikes would be astronomical.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
As I recall when I was moving to JK from TJ and was doing my research....I constantly came across complaints of how the JK is for wimps...is not a real Jeep...has too many creature comforts....is not a "Real" Jeep...."Real men drive real Jeeps".

And here we are again....somehow thou that wimpy JK is now the manly standard that the girly/fancy JL can't live up too.

People crack me up.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'm almost unsure about posting anything in this thread but, I'm currently not a Wrangler of any year owner. I am a Grand Cherokee Summit owner and have not been totally happy with the 4 or five recalls. Do have push button start/stop. Like it. Don't like the air suspension. Squirrelly on washboard roads. So much for that.
I am planning on getting a JLU probably a Sahara at least for now.
One thing I don't like is that it can only handle 3500 towing with a 350 tougue rating. I have a 3.6 with the 8 speed tyranny and it can handle 6200 lbs with a 620 tougue rating. The JLU should be able to handle 5k at least with anti sway control.

Call me a p* but I like convenience. I'm not a die hard off road errands but I do like to take trails and passes in Colorado and would like to pull a small travel trailer for off the grid staying.

Thanks all for your time. I enjoy reading all the threads for experienced comments and suggestions.
Oh and I'm not a P*. I spent my time in Army in 1969 and am now an old guy with a lot of things I still want to do.

Thanks again all.
Funny, I love the air suspension on my overland.... you are correct though, the tow rating on the wrangler is very low, people criticize it all of the time and I can understand that... obviously there is some reason for the limitation outside of the engine and trans...I towed a bit years ago with my old JKU, thought it performed pretty bad for what it was, however I was also towards its upper limits... I suppose a small travel trailer etc would be fine, but if hardcore towing is the goal, the wrangler isn’t the answer.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Anyone know why the towing is limited to 2K on the short and 3.5K on the long Wrangler? I have watched a bunch of video's where Wranglers are pulling heavy boats or dragging heavy SUV's out of the mud. I've even seen video's with winch cables that snap. It seems like they are at least a rugged as the SUV's that often tow upwards of 7K lbs.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Yeah the more and more I research I think when I get my JL it will most likely have to be a used one.
Don't use this thread for any of your research!

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Anyone know why the towing is limited to 2K on the short and 3.5K on the long Wrangler? I have watched a bunch of video's where Wranglers are pulling heavy boats or dragging heavy SUV's out of the mud. I've even seen video's with winch cables that snap. It seems like they are at least a rugged as the SUV's that often tow upwards of 7K lbs.
I'm guessing, but I'd wager it has to do with the dynamic stability of the Wrangler/trailer combo. While you can physically pull heavier loads, you can't necessarily keep it under control when in motion.

For example, under certain conditions, lane changes at highway speeds can result in the trailer becoming the tail that wags the dog. The high centred Wrangler could have less ability to maintain control. The 2dr would likely be even worse in lateral stability due to its shorter wheelbase and lower weight.

If my guess is right, this is strictly a matter of physics based on the weight and geometry of the Wrangler. You'd need to change the physical attributes of the vehicle to gain more towing capacity which would make a Wrangler no longer a Wrangler.

Last edited:

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
You can scratch the plastic fenders with your finger nail, kind of like the dash on the 07 JK. Butter. Also the entire cowl is plastic from fender to fender, I guess it won't get dented from the side mirrors now! Just a little too plastic overall IMO.

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've towed a 2016 Duramax crew cab with my 2 door on a 10 mile trip and had no issues. So I'm sure its more for safety/legal reasons or something, and not the actual Jeep lacking the capability.

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As I recall when I was moving to JK from TJ and was doing my research....I constantly came across complaints of how the JK is for wimps...is not a real Jeep...has too many creature comforts....is not a "Real" Jeep...."Real men drive real Jeeps".

And here we are again....somehow thou that wimpy JK is now the manly standard that the girly/fancy JL can't live up too.

People crack me up.
This has always happened, and will keep happening at every redesign lol. Check out this retro review for the YJ, the host says "people think this is the Yuppy Jeep" lol around the 2:25 mark.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Is it just me, or does anyone else not like the look of the plastic around wheel well and beneath the LED lights on front fender and rear fenders? Looks cheap to me. I’m going to try and paint it to match the body.

What are your thoughts?
100% thought the same thing when I first saw it, and even more now.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
He's baaaack...

The-Shining-008.jpg

mars-attacks-jack-nicholson.jpg

:cwl::cwl::cwl:

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I still hate that whip antenna.....first thing I change out to the small antenna and never had reception problems.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I still hate that whip antenna.....first thing I change out to the small antenna and never had reception problems.
But, where do you put the Jack head?

latest?cb=20140409175531.jpg