Sponsored

Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thank you. Gonna tackle the ole change the dash color mod.
@Goin2drt

Did you notice the date when that thread was originally posted? Long before any of these videos that you see popping up. Their new news videos are old news ...........news we already know and have known for quite some time... :party:

Sponsored

Tod13

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU with Dog

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
Steering wheel feels rough on my soft supple hands

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@ToolMan514

Ahhhhh, You do know this, right ..... That the JL will start even if you have the main battery removed from the JL.

Another point.... if the ESS/Aux battery is defective or depleted and the main battery is fully charged and connected, the JL will not start..............

Food for thought......................
I keep seeing this kind of comments about one battery being fully charged while the other isn’t. As far as I can see, the batteries are connected in parallel and therefore they are going to equalize the voltage. Either they are both charged or they are not.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I don't like the JL owners that come on an open forum and bash the JL. I get it that some have legit complaints and feel their pain but repeatedly bashing and trolling on this forum over and over gets old. If you don't like it, take your lumps, sell the damn thing and move on.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep seeing this kind of comments about one battery being fully charged while the other isn’t. As far as I can see, the batteries are connected in parallel and therefore they are going to equalize the voltage. Either they are both charged or they are not.
Suggest you reread what I wrote.

Yes, you are right, but if the ESS/AUX battery has a bad cell, is problematic and is depleted or dead then you can have the main battery being aok but the ESS/Aux battery not being able to start the JL which is a job it does.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suggest you reread what I wrote.

Yes, you are right, but if the ESS/AUX battery has a bad cell, is problematic and is depleted or dead then you can have the main battery being aok but the ESS/Aux battery not being able to start the JL which is a job it does.
I don’t pretend to know much about this. So this is not a rhetorical question: if both batteries are connected to the same post, how can we say that only one of them is responsible for starting the car? Isn’t the energy being sucked from both?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I grow tired of reposting this but ...........

You can remove the main battery and the JL will still start. IF you remove the ESS/Aux battery and have a fully charged main battery connected, the JL will not start.

This is a fact.

Now, how do the two batteries interact at different points in time and in different scenarios... ahhh, I think we are all a tad unsure so far.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This may help to explain these two batteries a bit better:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I grow tired of reposting this but ...........

You can remove the main battery and the JL will still start. IF you remove the ESS/Aux battery and have a fully charged main battery connected, the JL will not start.

This is a fact.

Now, how do the two batteries interact at different points in time and in different scenarios... ahhh, I think we are all a tad unsure so far.
Thanks.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My theory deduced from observing various Jeep Informant's posts, information from misc. posts and personal observations;
pdc label 2.jpg
The Power Control (ESS) relay is what connects the two batteries in parallel. I suspect it is more like a dual battery controller as opposed to a simple relay. The batteries are in parallel when cranking, but since the large battery is connected directly to the starter, it is called the cranking battery (see PDC label above). If the aux battery is dead, the electronics that work the starter relay won't function and it won't start. If you disconnect the positive battery terminal from the large battery, the aux battery can start the engine through the cables still attached to that disconnected terminal.

If you are jump starting the aux battery by connecting to the large battery, the charge gets to the aux battery through the Power Control relay, which may account for the slow charge. If you jump the aux battery through N1, you bypass the Power Control relay and connect directly to the aux battery, but this won't charge the large battery if the Power Control relay is not connecting the batteries.

In theory, if the aux battery is dead, but the large battery is good, connecting N1 to N2 should get it started, but try that at your own risk.

Charging current from the alternator to the aux battery goes through the Power Control relay, so if the relay fails, the aux battery will not charge.

If anybody has a better theory, I'm all ears.
Sponsored