Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Totally agree. My 5” came with the alpine setup if you can believe that and it’s actually perfect for me.
Maybe I'm an outlier (wouldn't be the first time), but I have zero issue with the 5" setup. The phone syncs fine, I can make calls, stream music from my phone no problem or use the radio. Controls on the steering wheel work - even Siri is a button push away. My 2m/70cm radio doesn't integrate but I don't think it does with anything else.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but I'm coming from a '15 GTI that has about the same size screen and functionality. But further evidence I'm an outlier is I refuse to use Bluetooth on my motorcycle, or with any of my amateur radios. So maybe I'm a semi-luddite :like:
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
For other UConnect 3 owners:

Can you adjust your volume within the first 30 seconds or so after you start the ignition?

Does yor USB port in the center console cause your phone to lock up? Both Android and Apple?

Does the radio randomly reset periodically forcing the clock to go to midnight?

Does your Bluetooth constantly loose pairing with your phone?

Does it take several minutes for your phone's contact and recent call list to sync, causing you to either wait or require you to make a non-hands free call?

Does it take several attempts to make Jeep configuration settings changes, sometimes causing the radio to reset in the process?

Maybe I have a bad unit but I don't think so. There are many complaints in other threads (within this forum, see UConnect in the Tech section) for more details on all of these issues and more.

The occurrences of when these issues happen for me are admittedly somewhat infrequent so I've convinced myself that the dealership will report "No Trouble Found". Since most of this is just an annoyance I've learned to minimize, live with and tolerate this very crappy radio. Obviously, tolerating this does not make me happy.

Love the Jeep. Hate the radio.

Jay

raiderbrit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Overall I am very pleased with the new JL. Love the styling both inside and out (aside from a few below mentioned things) and a lot of the new features. However, there are a few things that do bug me about the new design, that I wish were different. I am mentioning below from largest concern to smallest, the things I like LEAST about the new Jeep Wrangler JL. Make sure to post your own lists below.

1.) Push Button Start / Stop
For me, this is the biggest contention. I hate electronic push button starts. I want an actual mechanical turn key. Also, I don't want to have to find another place to put my key ring with all my keys on it. I'd rather have it hang right in the ignition. Now I have to find a place to put it which takes up more space for something else. some push button start vehicles have a slot where you can still insert the key in to hold it (and the chain with all the other keys). I would have at least preferred that! Especially since it is a ridiculously large and over sized key. Seriously, the thing is huge and takes up way too much space in a pocket. I heard that the key was more normal size, and the slot in the cup holders was made for a smart phone, but they figured they could put the key in there too, so just made the key larger so it would fit in there better. WTF kind of logic is that? That's ignoring the end for the sake of the means!

The main problem with the push button start is the reliability concern. There are already two reports (that we know about) of people being stranded in their new JL because their electronic key fob / push button malfunctioned. If the electronic key fob gets wet or damaged (crushed, dirt, etc) you are stranded. You would not be stranded with a physical mechanical key and ignition. Why would I want something that compromises the reliability of my vehicle? Just because it is "new" or "cool" is not a legitimate reason to want something when it compromises your reliability.

2.) More Slanted Windshield
It's supposed to be a jeep and look like a jeep. I hate this slippery slope of "modernizing" or "homogonizing" the wrangler by rounding things and canting other things. It's supposed to be unarrowdynamic and boxy, that's the point! How much MPG are they really gaining by the more slanted windshield? Is it even half a MPG? If you want gas mileage, the wrangler isn't the vehicle for you! Luckily, on its own, the slope isn't super noticeable, however, if you have it next to a JK it really sticks out and doesn't look right.

3.) One Gallon Smaller Fuel Tank
With a longer and wider vehicle, you would think they could have at LEAST maintained the same size fuel tank. I have a JK unlimited now, and the 22.5 gallon tank is great! I want all the range I can get, even if they supposedly increased MPGs slightly. I could maybe forgive them reducing the tank capacity by half a gallon so it was 22 gallons even, but one full gallon less is too much!

4.) Lack of Mud Tires on the Rubicon
Come on, it's the RUBICON! The off road model! They should at least give you the option to choose off road / mud tires for it. Not that I hate the KO2s, but I'd really like to continue to see the Rubicon come with off road mud tires to pair with the off road vehicle that it is. Like I said, there should at LEAST be an option to pick mud tires as an option. They have different wheel options, why not tire options? Another attempt to homogenize the wrangler and make it cookie cutter.

5.) Return of the Push Button Automatic shifter
There is nothing like the smoothness and ease of the current JK's 5 speed automatic Mercedes transmission. You just throw it into whatever gear you want with a hand motion and it shifts in smooth as butter. I had the older auto transmission with the push button shift (like most autos), and it was noticable slower and clunkier to shift. Maybe this is minor, but I really thought the Mercedes tranny was a nice touch and much appreciated feature when throwing the wrangler into gear.

6.) Increased Length w/ NO Increased Trunk Space
They increased the length on the JL a couple of inches, and they put it to waste. They increased the leg room of the rear seat and didn't touch the trunk size / space? They must not understand wrangler people too well, esp the two door owners! It's a wrangler, not a luxury or a passenger vehicle. The rear seat room was fine as is. You would have been MUCH better increasing the TRUNK SPACE an inch than trying to make the wrangler a cookie cutter passenger vehicle by increasing leg room.

They should have increased the leg room in the front of the wrangler for the driver if anything as there are some tall / long legged people who do not fit in a wrangler well as it is. This would at least make a few more tall people able to comfortably drive a wrangler, and lead to more sales. How many more sales is the increased leg room in the back going to lead to?

I am actually shocked that they didn't even TRY to increase trunk storage on the 2 door JL at all, as that was a very lamented feature on the 2 door JKs. They should have done something to increase the space there at least!

7.) License plate on the rear bumper
I don't like the look of it, or the idea that if I actually have to use my bumper, my plate is going to get trashed. Not sure why the tail gate had to be widened as that wasn't really a feature requested by anybody? The wider tail lights still end up sticking out past the jeep, so you don't gain any clearance anyway.

Well, that's my basic list in order from biggest gripes to least. There are most likely a few small things that I didn't mention due to being basically inconsequential, or just not knowing about them. These are the major gripes I have with it as of right now though. The pros still greatly outweigh the cons though (esp on the Rubicon), so don't view this as a bash thread. Let me know what you think, and post your own lists below.
The only thing I really don't like on my JLU Sahara is the front bumper - it is buttf--- ugly - looks like a Mercury or Buick from the past - I have a Rock Hard on the way to replace it.

The other 'only' thing I don't like is the size of the key fob. People keep asking me if that is a gun my pocket......

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Of those the only I’ve noticed is some lag for adjusting volume during boot. And the phone ringing is very loud compared to music volume but that may be a setting somewhere.

depends how central your phone and the infotainment is to your driving life. If it is mission critical, then the bigger ones are evidently a better choice. I don’t make or take many calls, send a few texts via Siri, and run a maps app. No issues with the 5” system doing any of those tasks. Others may find it lacking beyond that.

I always get a good reset when I ride the motorcycle as I have no phone bothering me, no BT comms- just my head on a swivel trying to keep someone in a car running me off the road while they stare at their phone or infotainment system :)

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
For other UConnect 3 owners:

Can you adjust your volume within the first 30 seconds or so after you start the ignition?

Does yor USB port in the center console cause your phone to lock up? Both Android and Apple?

Does the radio randomly reset periodically forcing the clock to go to midnight?

Does your Bluetooth constantly loose pairing with your phone?

Does it take several minutes for your phone's contact and recent call list to sync, causing you to either wait or require you to make a non-hands free call?

Does it take several attempts to make Jeep configuration settings changes, sometimes causing the radio to reset in the process?

Maybe I have a bad unit but I don't think so. There are many complaints in other threads (within this forum, see UConnect in the Tech section) for more details on all of these issues and more.

The occurrences of when these issues happen for me are admittedly somewhat infrequent so I've convinced myself that the dealership will report "No Trouble Found". Since most of this is just an annoyance I've learned to minimize, live with and tolerate this very crappy radio. Obviously, tolerating this does not make me happy.

Love the Jeep. Hate the radio.

Jay
I have the base 5" UConnect 3 unit and haven't ever had any issues with it but I've only owned my '18 since end of October '19 and haven't even put 5k miles on it. I'm happy with the base system so far, though. Just wish it had CarPlay but I don't think it's worth the money and effort to upgrade.

One complaint I do have is how loud and annoying the text message announcement is. There's no way to quickly dismiss/acknowledge it from what I've found and it's really irritating to have it blast the "NEW TEXT MESSAGE FROM SO-AND-SO" when I'm driving around at night trying to get my toddler to fall asleep.

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Gas cap. I prefer the capless style like the one on my wife's 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk. Open fuel door and start fueling. No muss, no fuss.
This. And why in the world do I have to pay extra for a fuel door? It's ridiculous.