Sponsored

Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Mostly some nitpicking:
- I dont want a giant key fob. With a remote system hackers will be using to remote open and take my Jeep.
- I want LED lights on any damn model, looks like I can mopar it, so I will live (phew)
- I want a magic hard top, much like a transformer movie. It should shoot out of nowhere and lock up tight as a drum :O

My only real concern is leg and head room, its looking good in video, but I am dying to get in one!

I dunno, this model looks like an instant classic to me, cant wait til they get to dealships near me.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
REAL men use crank starters on their cars. You must be a real nancy boy twisting a key and letting that electric motor do all the work.
Here's an honest question, did the original 1941 Jeeps have crank starters?

I hate that it has power steering and power

I hate that it has power steering and power brakes. Real men have strong arms and strong legs. Also absurd that it has airbags and seat belts. Real wrangler owners die like real men. They should not have changed them from the original WWII design.

On another note, I would'nt care if they nuked the foldable windshield. It was originally included to make the jeeps easier to ship... not to let you drive without a freaking windshield.
Except airbags aren't a useless aesthetic feature like a push button start. Every driver out there has airbags and they drive expecting others to have airbags. The difference between having airbags and no airbags can range from scalp full of broken glass to brain damage. Again, different from the key issue.

Foldable windshield: It doesn't matter what it was intended for. It was there in the original design and people found uses for it afterwards. Haven't you seen "since 1941" written in a Jeep?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is like when they took the headphone jack off of the iphone. This is where things are going. When you can lock/unlock/start your car with a remote, voice commands, phone apps, and just being near your car you don't need keys any more. Sure there will be some dinosaurs who hate the change, but they will get over it and life will move on.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
See, you're thinking backwards. I want MORE future. Just listen.....

1.) Push Button Start / Stop

Not easy enough. I need the car to envelop me as a walk towards it like some sort of automotive Iron Man armor. I assume it would also start while doing this.

2.) More Slanted Windshield

Damn CAFE standards. What we really need is a some sort of non carbon fuel solution. Wish that was a thing. Then we could have super boxy trucks again, maybe even anti-aero designs. Sweeet.

3.) One Gallon Smaller Fuel Tank

See, if someone would just get on that whole alternative fuel thing we wouldn’t have this problem.

4.) Lack of Mud Tires on the Rubicon

Tires? We don’t need no stinking tires! Seven words: Back to the Future Style Flying Cars. What’s more “off-road” than flying?

5.) Return of the Push Button Automatic shifter

Mopar NeuroLink - Mind control shifter - BOOM (seriously, stay focused or you might experience accidental shifting)

6.) Increased Length w/ NO Increased Trunk Space

I’d say Star Trek style transporter that just slings unlimited amounts of your stuff around wherever you go but I don’t want to sound crazy. I’m sure a large drone programmed to follow your JL around would do just fine.

7.) License plate on the rear bumper

Hologram plates. Holoplates. Not even visible on the owners car, just shows up on a HUD in cop cars.

Sponsored

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
7.) License plate on the rear bumper

Hologram plates. Holoplates. Not even visible on the owners car, just shows up on a HUD in cop cars.
This.... would actually be totally doable and amazing. Patent that $%#@.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Arguably push button start is “original” as Kaiser Willys Jeeps had floor starter buttons.
watch out! watch out! watch out!
Oh hes coming from the top rope!
*BOOM!*
RKO

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I am a bit bummed the JL Wrangler's 3.6 doesn't have the same output as the RAMs 3.6 (20+HP and 6+ lb-ft). They are the same engine but the Ram version is slightly modified of course. Why? I am sure some engineer can explain or Jeep simply trying to push the other engine options and intentionally throttling the 3.6.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Here's an honest question, did the original 1941 Jeeps have crank starters?
Not sure about early Jeeps, but my 1972 Series III Land Rover has a hand crank. It comes in "handy" whenever I might need to turn the engine without starting. I haven't had occasion to use it to start the engine, but I've heard you want to be careful, else you could end up with messed up/broken wrists. For example, you want to hold the crank so in the event the engine fires and the crank fails to disengage correctly, it slaps out of your hands and doesn't turn back around and slam your wrists. So yeah as was mentioned, it is for real "he men", lol.

Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Not sure about early Jeeps, but my 1972 Series III Land Rover has a hand crank. It comes in "handy" whenever I might need to turn the engine without starting. I haven't had occasion to use it to start the engine, but I've heard you want to be careful, else you could end up with messed up/broken wrists. For example, you want to hold the crank so in the event the engine fires and the crank fails to disengage correctly, it slaps out of your hands and doesn't turn back around and slam your wrists. So yeah as was mentioned, it is for real "he men", lol.
I’d lock that in a crate and throw it at the bottom of the ocean in case I’d be tempted to try that out after having too many beers woth some friends !!! Lol

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
1) Have had push button start on every car since our 2008 Pathfinder. It is convenient to walk up to the car with both arms full of stuff and open the door without digging around for keys. My favorite system was the keypad on the side of our two Explorers, you could leave your keys in the car while surfing and not do the typical "hide your key on the rear driver's side tire like everyone else" trick.

2) Having not been a Wrangler owner in the past, the windshield slant doesn't bother me.

3) Hopefully the better mileage rating will make up for the smaller tank. I had pulmonary embolisms back in 2011, so I'm not supposed to sit very long anyways. Neither is anyone else for that matter...

4) I can see how a dedicated mudder would find this a problem. Maybe they'll make it an option in the future? KO2s will be fine for me.

5) Haven't driven a JK for any length of time so can't comment on this one. Posters have commented that the new tranny is smooth, so hopefully that'll hold up.

6) Yeah that's unfortunate, but at least there's extra room in the second row. I'll probably not get the upgraded audio, depending on whether the subwoofer eats up cargo room in the rear.

7) I'm sure there will be aftermarket options to move the plate.

For me, price is a concern but mitigated by the reportedly high resale value of the Wrangler. Pay more but sell for more, it's a wash. Better than buying an AMG Mercedes and have it lose 80% of its value in 6 years. Will probably buy around November '18 so hopefully any 1st year issues will be ironed out by then, and the 2.0T will be out by then along with the V6/BSG.

Have to join the former Mustang owners here, my first car after college was a 1995 Mustang GTS with a 5.0 and manual trans. The GTS was a cheaper GT, with the 6-cylinder interior and electronics. I believe they only ever made 5,000 of them.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Took delivery yesterday. Love it. Just a watch out for those of you with very young children - it's a VERY tight fit for a rear facing car seat. Thankfully the little ones ride in their Mom's Q7 on a daily basis, but the 4 YO wanted to show off the JL to his friends so the new JL made the trip to pre-school.....
Interesting comment. I have a baby on the way (my first) and I was thinking about getting a JL. My 4runner seems spacious enough for a car seat - do you think a new born rear facing car seat would be tight? I sincerely don't want to deal with a wife yelling at me because the baby won't fit in my Jeep! Lol

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Wow, tough crowd, this thread is proof that you can't please everyone, feels almost like anyone. I think most old school Jeep folks here need to remember that first and foremost FCA is a business and if you follow the auto writers and financial community, a company that shouldn't have done as well as they are now doing. In other words they have done some things right, as a business, in a very competitive marketplace. The biggest point for this audience is that the Jeep team were, and continue to be, sensitive to the greater Jeep community, while at the same time are trying to expand that community. Again, this is a business. I'm confident that Jeep dealers will sell every JL Wrangler they can get their respective hands on for the next couple of years, plus they (Jeep) have hired hundreds, if not thousands of new workers. Again, this is a business, and it sounds like all the tell-tail signs of a successful one. So, if the old schooler's want less, no tech, less comfort and lower cost, you should start looking for a used JK, TJ, YJ, CJ or Willy's with low miles and modify it to your harts content, build what you want. As for price, FCA has a staff of experts that determine both the market segmentation (Sport vs. Sahara vs Rubicon) and "Value" of the products to their target markets, remembering they will always try and get you to spend more money. This is a science in todays world. It's obvious that we would all like a Rubicon at a Sport price point, but will never happen, again, this is a business. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, it's just that I've just read through almost this entire thread and I think people are being unrealistic in their expectations. The engineers at Jeep have done a sensitive and effective job at reimagining the Wrangler, while giving the community a great "starting point" for the next 10 years. Lastly, don't forget there is a massive 3rd party infrastructure out there hard at work plugging the gaps that Jeep has missed. BTW, I'm 61 and a new Jeep customer (JLUR on order), one that would never have bought a JK or older model, so the Jeep marketers have hit their mark with me.
Sponsored