Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Only complaints I have are the cheap plastics they used, for the price of one of these they could have spent a couple dollars more and had better plastics. And the ESS, yeah yeah just push the button, it's still annoying
Agreed... I have the Freedom Panel hard top & the interior kinda looks like styrofoam. FCA could've done better than to use a few pieces of double-sided tape inside the b-pillars to hold the covers in place. Anyone who's heard the death rattle knows what I'm referring to.

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
I don't think you understand the difference between an option and submission. If someone doesn't want to recline the seat, the jeep won't do it for them. If someone doesn't want to listen to the radio, the jeep won't turn it on for them. That's not the same logic with the push button start, the reverse neanderthal windshield rake, the boy racer vents, the patheticly space consuming slide on/off rear soft panels. With the last set, Wrangler owners need to get a large can of lube and hold on until FCA decides to come... up with the next Wrangler, hopefully fixing things.
Fair enough. WHY ISNT THE BACKSEAT OPTIONAL?!???

BTW the thing that I don't like is the size of the key fob, it just seems a little larger than necessary.

Sponsored

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
Overall I am very pleased with the new JL. Love the styling both inside and out (aside from a few below mentioned things) and a lot of the new features. However, there are a few things that do bug me about the new design, that I wish were different. I am mentioning below from largest concern to smallest, the things I like LEAST about the new Jeep Wrangler JL. Make sure to post your own lists below.

1.) Push Button Start / Stop

For me, this is the biggest contention. I hate electronic push button starts. I want an actual mechanical turn key. Also, I don't want to have to find another place to put my key ring with all my keys on it. I'd rather have it hang right in the ignition. Now I have to find a place to put it which takes up more space for something else. some push button start vehicles have a slot where you can still insert the key in to hold it (and the chain with all the other keys). I would have at least preferred that! Especially since it is a ridiculously large and over sized key. Seriously, the thing is huge and takes up way too much space in a pocket. I heard that the key was more normal size, and the slot in the cup holders was made for a smart phone, but they figured they could put the key in there too, so just made the key larger so it would fit in there better. WTF kind of logic is that? That's ignoring the end for the sake of the means!

The main problem with the push button start is the reliability concern. There are already two reports (that we know about) of people being stranded in their new JL because their electronic key fob / push button malfunctioned. If the electronic key fob gets wet or damaged (crushed, dirt, etc) you are stranded. You would not be stranded with a physical mechanical key and ignition. Why would I want something that compromises the reliability of my vehicle? Just because it is "new" or "cool" is not a legitimate reason to want something when it compromises your reliability.

2.) More Slanted Windshield
It's supposed to be a jeep and look like a jeep. I hate this slippery slope of "modernizing" or "homogonizing" the wrangler by rounding things and canting other things. It's supposed to be unarrowdynamic and boxy, that's the point! How much MPG are they really gaining by the more slanted windshield? Is it even half a MPG? If you want gas mileage, the wrangler isn't the vehicle for you! Luckily, on its own, the slope isn't super noticeable, however, if you have it next to a JK it really sticks out and doesn't look right.

3.) One Gallon Smaller Fuel Tank
With a longer and wider vehicle, you would think they could have at LEAST maintained the same size fuel tank. I have a JK unlimited now, and the 22.5 gallon tank is great! I want all the range I can get, even if they supposedly increased MPGs slightly. I could maybe forgive them reducing the tank capacity by half a gallon so it was 22 gallons even, but one full gallon less is too much!

4.) Lack of Mud Tires on the Rubicon
Come on, it's the RUBICON! The off road model! They should at least give you the option to choose off road / mud tires for it. Not that I hate the KO2s, but I'd really like to continue to see the Rubicon come with off road mud tires to pair with the off road vehicle that it is. Like I said, there should at LEAST be an option to pick mud tires as an option. They have different wheel options, why not tire options? Another attempt to homogenize the wrangler and make it cookie cutter.

5.) Return of the Push Button Automatic shifter
There is nothing like the smoothness and ease of the current JK's 5 speed automatic Mercedes transmission. You just throw it into whatever gear you want with a hand motion and it shifts in smooth as butter. I had the older auto transmission with the push button shift (like most autos), and it was noticable slower and clunkier to shift. Maybe this is minor, but I really thought the Mercedes tranny was a nice touch and much appreciated feature when throwing the wrangler into gear.

6.) Increased Length w/ NO Increased Trunk Space
They increased the length on the JL a couple of inches, and they put it to waste. They increased the leg room of the rear seat and didn't touch the trunk size / space? They must not understand wrangler people too well, esp the two door owners! It's a wrangler, not a luxury or a passenger vehicle. The rear seat room was fine as is. You would have been MUCH better increasing the TRUNK SPACE an inch than trying to make the wrangler a cookie cutter passenger vehicle by increasing leg room.

They should have increased the leg room in the front of the wrangler for the driver if anything as there are some tall / long legged people who do not fit in a wrangler well as it is. This would at least make a few more tall people able to comfortably drive a wrangler, and lead to more sales. How many more sales is the increased leg room in the back going to lead to?

I am actually shocked that they didn't even TRY to increase trunk storage on the 2 door JL at all, as that was a very lamented feature on the 2 door JKs. They should have done something to increase the space there at least!

7.) License plate on the rear bumper
I don't like the look of it, or the idea that if I actually have to use my bumper, my plate is going to get trashed. Not sure why the tail gate had to be widened as that wasn't really a feature requested by anybody? The wider tail lights still end up sticking out past the jeep, so you don't gain any clearance anyway.

Well, that's my basic list in order from biggest gripes to least. There are most likely a few small things that I didn't mention due to being basically inconsequential, or just not knowing about them. These are the major gripes I have with it as of right now though. The pros still greatly outweigh the cons though (esp on the Rubicon), so don't view this as a bash thread. Let me know what you think, and post your own lists below.
Overall I am very pleased with the new JL. Love the styling both inside and out (aside from a few below mentioned things) and a lot of the new features. However, there are a few things that do bug me about the new design, that I wish were different. I am mentioning below from largest concern to smallest, the things I like LEAST about the new Jeep Wrangler JL. Make sure to post your own lists below.

For me, this is the biggest contention. I hate electronic push button starts. I want an actual mechanical turn key. Also, I don't want to have to find another place to put my key ring with all my keys on it. I'd rather have it hang right in the ignition. Now I have to find a place to put it which takes up more space for something else. some push button start vehicles have a slot where you can still insert the key in to hold it (and the chain with all the other keys). I would have at least preferred that! Especially since it is a ridiculously large and over sized key. Seriously, the thing is huge and takes up way too much space in a pocket. I heard that the key was more normal size, and the slot in the cup holders was made for a smart phone, but they figured they could put the key in there too, so just made the key larger so it would fit in there better. WTF kind of logic is that? That's ignoring the end for the sake of the means!

The main problem with the push button start is the reliability concern. There are already two reports (that we know about) of people being stranded in their new JL because their electronic key fob / push button malfunctioned. If the electronic key fob gets wet or damaged (crushed, dirt, etc) you are stranded. You would not be stranded with a physical mechanical key and ignition. Why would I want something that compromises the reliability of my vehicle? Just because it is "new" or "cool" is not a legitimate reason to want something when it compromises your reliability.

It's supposed to be a jeep and look like a jeep. I hate this slippery slope of "modernizing" or "homogonizing" the wrangler by rounding things and canting other things. It's supposed to be unarrowdynamic and boxy, that's the point! How much MPG are they really gaining by the more slanted windshield? Is it even half a MPG? If you want gas mileage, the wrangler isn't the vehicle for you! Luckily, on its own, the slope isn't super noticeable, however, if you have it next to a JK it really sticks out and doesn't look right.

With a longer and wider vehicle, you would think they could have at LEAST maintained the same size fuel tank. I have a JK unlimited now, and the 22.5 gallon tank is great! I want all the range I can get, even if they supposedly increased MPGs slightly. I could maybe forgive them reducing the tank capacity by half a gallon so it was 22 gallons even, but one full gallon less is too much!

Come on, it's the RUBICON! The off road model! They should at least give you the option to choose off road / mud tires for it. Not that I hate the KO2s, but I'd really like to continue to see the Rubicon come with off road mud tires to pair with the off road vehicle that it is. Like I said, there should at LEAST be an option to pick mud tires as an option. They have different wheel options, why not tire options? Another attempt to homogenize the wrangler and make it cookie cutter.

There is nothing like the smoothness and ease of the current JK's 5 speed automatic Mercedes transmission. You just throw it into whatever gear you want with a hand motion and it shifts in smooth as butter. I had the older auto transmission with the push button shift (like most autos), and it was noticable slower and clunkier to shift. Maybe this is minor, but I really thought the Mercedes tranny was a nice touch and much appreciated feature when throwing the wrangler into gear.

They increased the length on the JL a couple of inches, and they put it to waste. They increased the leg room of the rear seat and didn't touch the trunk size / space? They must not understand wrangler people too well, esp the two door owners! It's a wrangler, not a luxury or a passenger vehicle. The rear seat room was fine as is. You would have been MUCH better increasing the TRUNK SPACE an inch than trying to make the wrangler a cookie cutter passenger vehicle by increasing leg room.

They should have increased the leg room in the front of the wrangler for the driver if anything as there are some tall / long legged people who do not fit in a wrangler well as it is. This would at least make a few more tall people able to comfortably drive a wrangler, and lead to more sales. How many more sales is the increased leg room in the back going to lead to?

I am actually shocked that they didn't even TRY to increase trunk storage on the 2 door JL at all, as that was a very lamented feature on the 2 door JKs. They should have done something to increase the space there at least!

I don't like the look of it, or the idea that if I actually have to use my bumper, my plate is going to get trashed. Not sure why the tail gate had to be widened as that wasn't really a feature requested by anybody? The wider tail lights still end up sticking out past the jeep, so you don't gain any clearance anyway.

Well, that's my basic list in order from biggest gripes to least. There are most likely a few small things that I didn't mention due to being basically inconsequential, or just not knowing about them. These are the major gripes I have with it as of right now though. The pros still greatly outweigh the cons though (esp on the Rubicon), so don't view this as a bash thread. Let me know what you think, and post your own lists below.

1. THE STEERING IS HORRIBLE - requires constant correction to drive in a straight line!

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I greatly dislike the driver seat height and lack of comfort. I'm 6'4" and it's dangerous having my head right by the roll bar and having to look down on the instrument panel. They need to drop the seat atleast 2"! I'll gladly pay more $ for this option.
I too wish the seat sat a tad lower. For me, maybe one inch.

I dont like the looks of the roll bars being inward more than the JK. With the tops off looking from the rear, there's a significant gap from the doors to roll bar. Not a big deal tho, just something to get used to.

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
Thought of something else...Does anyone else find the wires going to the doors kind of annoying? I haven't seen any comments on them, but mine poke my ankle while I'm driving. It's just annoying. Has anyone figured out a way to make them lay flat?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
With the doors off, it looks unfinished and like it wasnt meant to be doorless. They also need to bring back the round roll bars.

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
1. THE STEERING IS HORRIBLE - requires constant correction to drive in a straight line!
There is a TSB out for this. 08-092-18, mine is perfect now but before I was stopped for erratic driving twice in a week.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
ZJ WEST:

Definition of vanity; Take a vehicle worth 40-50 G and tear it up, make a video of it with an attractive woman making the comments (instead of the actual jeep owner heard in the background) and occasionally (toward the end) slide in pics/video of your vanity sports car. Have you thought that the things associated with your video are due to your lack of taking care of the things you own? Some kids obtain great toys...and tear them up just because they can buy another. Watch "TOYSTORY" for goodness sakes!

EVERYONE knows that ALL jeeps require modifications for the specific off-roading environment it is taken on. Just because you tore the crap out of your underside, rear bumper, or fenders, does not justify a Jeep modification for the model involved...please add an appropriate skid plate, bumper, wheel well, fenders, etc., for these issues documented in this video. No amount of manufacturing can anticipate the many environments these Jeeps will be deployed to. IT"S UP TO YOU to employ the necessary modifications based upon the model.

Although I did not baby my wranglers, my old TJ and JK never had these issues BECAUSE I DID NOT TREAT THEM LIKE SHIT!!!! SAD.......2018 Wrangler......trashed already......and you do not care???? Or maybe it's combination of not caring and having expendable resources.....it will not last forever.

Last edited:

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
ZJ WEST:

Definition of vanity; Take a vehicle worth 40-50 G and tear it up, make a video of it with an attractive woman making the comments (instead of the actual jeep owner heard in the background) and occasionally (toward the end) slide in pics/video of your vanity sports car. Have you thought that the things associated with your video are due to your lack of taking care of the things you own? Some kids obtain great toys...and tear them up just because they can buy another. Watch "TOYSTORY" for goodness sakes!

Although I did not baby my wranglers, my old TJ and JK never had these issues BECAUSE I DID NOT TREAT THEM LIKE SHIT!!!! SAD.......2018 Wrangler......trashed already......and you do not care???? Or maybe it's combination of not caring and having expendable resources.....it will not last forever.
They definitely are hard on the Jeep, but I think they are pretty fair on other videos about the Jeep

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
EVERYONE knows that ALL jeeps require modifications for the specific off-roading environment it is taken on. Just because you tore the crap out of your underside, rear bumper, or fenders, does not justify a Jeep modification for the model involved...please add an appropriate skid plate, bumper, wheel well, fenders, etc., for these issues documented in this video. No amount of manufacturing can anticipate the many environments these Jeeps will be deployed to. IT"S UP TO YOU to you to make the necessary modifications based upon the model.
Sponsored