Sponsored

Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

JAW

First Name
JEFF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RUBICON JLU, 2018 Porsche Panamara Sport Turismo, 2015 Audi RS5, 2010 Ferrari 599, 2018 McLaren 720s
LOVE THE JL
HATE THE BODY COLOR FENDERS on Sahara and Rubicon Models.
The two tone half Painted piece, half plain plastic bottom half look CHEAP to say it best. Styling wise this is a big dissapoointment for the "Premium Trim" JL. I understand on the Sport, or if a buyer prefers the Non Painted fenders to match their non painted hard top. When you pay the premium of the upgraded trim level, opt for body color hard top, steel bumpers, and there is the plain plastic lower half on the exterior of the fender it just looks CHEAP. Hope this is a common complaint and fixed moving forward.
I don't think it looks cheap at all. The black inner fender lines tie into the black bumpers lines. Nothing to fix, they actually thought it through and did a great job tying it all together.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thing is I’m pretty sure that you’d get so many chips on your fenders if they were painted all over, that we’d all end up being pissed... I’m personally ok with this
Me too. Plenty of CJs with painted fenders and a plastic trim on the end. Same with the YJ and the TJ. The JK is the first that didn't have this. The JL may be more of a trim and less of a flare when compared to the CJ, YJ, and TJ fenders and flares, but still reminiscent. I think it looks good.

JAW

First Name
JEFF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RUBICON JLU, 2018 Porsche Panamara Sport Turismo, 2015 Audi RS5, 2010 Ferrari 599, 2018 McLaren 720s
Me too. Plenty of CJs with painted fenders and a plastic trim on the end. Same with the YJ and the TJ. The JK is the first that didn't have this. The JL may be more of a trim and less of a flare when compared to the CJ, YJ, and TJ fenders and flares, but still reminiscent. I think it looks good.
Yep, makes perfect sense. And I think it looks funny when the only thing thats black is the bumpers.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
I am not as disappointed as I would have been with things like lack of auto-up windows. We have a 2016 4Runner SR5 Premium. No auto-up windows, no auto headlights, no freaking light in the cargo area. Great car, but cost about 40k and is missing some basics. Some of these features arent as common as people think. You could get them on a new GM/ford, but talk about reliability issues.....

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
LOVE THE JL
HATE THE BODY COLOR FENDERS on Sahara and Rubicon Models.
The two tone half Painted piece, half plain plastic bottom half look CHEAP to say it best. Styling wise this is a big dissapoointment for the "Premium Trim" JL. I understand on the Sport, or if a buyer prefers the Non Painted fenders to match their non painted hard top. When you pay the premium of the upgraded trim level, opt for body color hard top, steel bumpers, and there is the plain plastic lower half on the exterior of the fender it just looks CHEAP. Hope this is a common complaint and fixed moving forward.
While you are spot on with what you’re saying, think about it this way. It’s a vehicle built to be taken off road. If you have fully painted flares like what is offered on the JK if you rub a rock or tree you’re taking paint off your flare. What they did with the JL, if you do something similar you’re only scuffing or marring the black plastic.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Let me start by saying I love my JL. I have had every other Wrangler and this is the best one to date. With that being said, I do have a few items that I do not care for:
1). The wind noise from the hardtop is terrible
2). The electric engine cooling motor is unbelievably loud. It sounds like the engine is running at 4000 rpm when it is on.
3). I don’t know why they angled the fenders where the meet the body. It is a big funnel for debris and it is not easy to get it out.
4). I hate the engine stop/start. Should be off with the option to turn it on.
Regarding item 3, on the Rubicon I think Jeep wanted to use the same mounting points as for the lower front fender models. So they ended up with that larger V area where the Rubicon fenders meet the body. I noticed it back when photos first started appearing, and today finally stopped by a Jeep dealership that had a Sahara and Rubicon model side-by-side on the lot. The V groove is larger on the Rubicon fender.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Thing is I’m pretty sure that you’d get so many chips on your fenders if they were painted all over, that we’d all end up being pissed... I’m personally ok with this
That and scratches. I liken it to the Toyota Tacoma. The TRD Offroad version gets black plastic fenders there too, because, well, this is the offroad version and painted ones would just get scratched?

The painted Sahara ones are a cool thing to help it stand out as the most road-worthy Wrangler. But my shit's going offroad, and the black plastic ones on my potential sport will help with the "f**k it" mentality!

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
As a suggestion, put that new car seat in the middle of the rear. That way it will protrude between the two front seats, it's a safer location, and allows a little closer access for new new addition (being overprotective is 100% normal for your 1st). Either way, the only downside is that it's a bit harder to get the carseat/baby in and out since you have to reach to the middle.
Does the middle seat has the latch system? I haven't been able to go see a JL yet

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m still in the research stage trying to decide if I want to trade my JK for a JL. Most of what I’m seeing with the new model I like, however there is at least one thing I wish they did differently...

More length in the cargo area. I was measuring it the other day and I'm about 5-6" short for being able to stick my 63qt Arb Fridge/Freezer back there. It does fit great in the back of my wife's Ram 2500 CC though...:like:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the middle seat has the latch system? I haven't been able to go see a JL yet
I didn't even think to look when I took one for a drive the other day. I would hope they added them in on the JL, however I'm not putting a lot of faith in that since our JK only has them on the driver & passenger sides of the rear seat.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I don't think so, but don't let that influence you too much. The seatbelts work every bit as good. LATCH is more or less a convenience option. Either way, be sure to put a knee in the car seat with a good amount of weight in it when strapping it in. The LATCH functionality helps with that, but a seatbelt is just as doable. Unless you are planning to frequently move the entire seat (and base) the LATCH won't really be of any added benefit. My wife and I just bought multiple car seats and/or bases for each vehicle. Last thing I want to do is move those things around regularly

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I didn't even think to look when I took one for a drive the other day. I would hope they added them in on the JL, however I'm not putting a lot of faith in that since our JK only has them on the driver & passenger sides of the rear seat.
This will help...
Screenshot_20180226-121035.png

OP
OP
Tyrantresister

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m still in the research stage trying to decide if I want to trade my JK for a JL. Most of what I’m seeing with the new model I like, however there is at least one thing I wish they did differently...

More length in the cargo area. I was measuring it the other day and I'm about 5-6" short for being able to stick my 63qt Arb Fridge/Freezer back there. It does fit great in the back of my wife's Ram 2500 CC though...:like:
Jeep thought it was more important to increase the rear passenger leg room over the cargo area space because they Wrangler is such a passenger mover...

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
After about 10 days of ownership, I can’t say I have any real “complaints”. Two things that I think could be improved upon:
1. As mentioned numerous times - one touch up windows would be nice and an easy add.
2. I got the premium soft top and it is awesome. A huge improvement from my JK soft top. I wish they could have figured out a way to make the rear window a little easier to open for loading and unloading the cargo area.
( Wow, that’s nit picking)
Sponsored