First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Let me start by saying I love my JL. I have had every other Wrangler and this is the best one to date. With that being said, I do have a few items that I do not care for:
1). The wind noise from the hardtop is terrible
2). The electric engine cooling motor is unbelievably loud. It sounds like the engine is running at 4000 rpm when it is on.
3). I don’t know why they angled the fenders where the meet the body. It is a big funnel for debris and it is not easy to get it out.
4). I hate the engine stop/start. Should be off with the option to turn it on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
i find the wheel well plastic lip to be the most regressive 80's element of the JLU's styling. Most people I know find this plastic incredibly cheap looking and tacky.

I understand it's cheap and easy to replace, but plastic can be cast in any color, and offering other options including body matched, is revenue Jeep is letting slip away.

I also feel like flattening the hood was a huge mistake, as well as flattening the front grill. These both actually make the SHAPE of the JL look MORE DATED, than the shape and angles of the JK front end.

The new windshield slope is welcome, as are the Bmw-style Corona ring LED accents around headlamps (which I have been suggesting for wranglers since 00's), but why go backwards on the hood and grill ? Should have at least kept angles the same as JK.

JK looks more modern/contemporary than the new JL, on several key areas:

Fenders
Grill
Hood

Which is a shame, as the interior & amenities of the JL are clearly a significant improvement. I also like the door lines, and the fact it can accommodate 35's on factory setup.

I also am quite disappointed that the roof options are still so limited, we saw such great stow&go roof possibilities on their clay model and many concept sketches, displayed in Jeep HQ, only to see it remain a fantasy.

Hopefully, the multi-panel panoramic-type sunroof hard top, will arrive with either the diesel or full electric JLU's, as well as newer more contemporary facelifted grill, fenders and bumpers.
I really feel the exact opposite way about these features; they look so much more « basic ». The JL looks so much more sought after in these areas and many others...!
But again, design is such a personal thing..!
Agree. I think the JL looks way better, especially when side by side an older model. Personal preference, though.
I agree with you guys and couldn't disagree with @AVENTUS more. Oh well, I guess that's why I've put my money down have ordered one and he's just complained.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
After having my JL for a month, I've only got two gripes and they're really not biggies:
  • Like many others, I'm not a fan of the ESS, but I'm confident there will be a fix (aftermarket or otherwise) to keep it turned off.
  • I really miss the pen and paper holder on the underside of the center console lid.
That's it. Everything else is perfect. The look, the feel, the drive, the suspension changes, the performance off-road... I love it. I especially love the 8-speed transmission. I think it might be my favorite thing about the JL, even though I was so set on getting the manual.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
After having my JL for a month, I've only got two gripes and they're really not biggies:
  • Like many others, I'm not a fan of the ESS, but I'm confident there will be a fix (aftermarket or otherwise) to keep it turned off.
  • I really miss the pen and paper holder on the underside of the center console lid.
That's it. Everything else is perfect. The look, the feel, the drive, the suspension changes, the performance off-road... I love it. I especially love the 8-speed transmission. I think it might be my favorite thing about the JL, even though I was so set on getting the manual.
I will say this about the 8 speed...I don't see 8th much on the highway...lol It might be because I've got the cruise set at 80 tho...:facepalm::facepalm:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I agree with you guys and couldn't disagree with @AVENTUS more. Oh well, I guess that's why I've put my money down have ordered one and he's just complained.
Really gotta go out of your way to drop a petty line to another member like that?

Good job throwing down JL money. Would you like a medal?

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Today I unplugged hood open sensor #2 on right side of engine bay. According to the wiring and software schematics it's only job is auto stop/start disable with hood open. I will get the auto start/stop warning dash symbol, but that start/stop feature was driving me crazy.
I drove the JL 68 miles today with zero issues.

Yes I am too forgetfull to turn it off at every start.
This will hold me over until I can figure out a better defeat technique for this very undesired feature.
For those that don’t like ESS here is a DIY fix, there is also a thread under the DIY section

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Really gotta go out of your way to drop a petty line to another member like that?

Good job throwing down JL money. Would you like a medal?
Likewise to you buddy. Don't worry I've given him crap about his styling wants/expectations since the JL fenders, lights, tops, and pretty much everything else about it was nothing but rumor.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a bit bummed the JL Wrangler's 3.6 doesn't have the same output as the RAMs 3.6 (20+HP and 6+ lb-ft). They are the same engine but the Ram version is slightly modified of course. Why? I am sure some engineer can explain or Jeep simply trying to push the other engine options and intentionally throttling the 3.6.

I think a lot of it has to do with exhaust routing, with maybe a little on the table with engine tuning.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting comment. I have a baby on the way (my first) and I was thinking about getting a JL. My 4runner seems spacious enough for a car seat - do you think a new born rear facing car seat would be tight? I sincerely don't want to deal with a wife yelling at me because the baby won't fit in my Jeep! Lol

It was on pretty tight squeeze with the infant car seat we used on our JK, only way it really worked was with the passenger seat pushed forward (thankfully my wife is vertically challenged). When our daughter turned one we put her in a car seat, though facing forward (rear would have been almost impossible). The JL has a “slightly” bigger larger back seat area but can’t imagine it’s going to be a huge step up where child seats are concerned.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know why the towing is limited to 2K on the short and 3.5K on the long Wrangler? I have watched a bunch of video's where Wranglers are pulling heavy boats or dragging heavy SUV's out of the mud. I've even seen video's with winch cables that snap. It seems like they are at least a rugged as the SUV's that often tow upwards of 7K lbs.

Admittedly haven’t read through the next 8 pages to see if this question was answered, so here it goes. My understanding is the towing limitation is due to the off road centric suspension. Similar in some respects to why the Raptor or the Power Wagon aren’t rated to tow the same as their respective counterparts.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Interesting comment. I have a baby on the way (my first) and I was thinking about getting a JL. My 4runner seems spacious enough for a car seat - do you think a new born rear facing car seat would be tight? I sincerely don't want to deal with a wife yelling at me because the baby won't fit in my Jeep! Lol
As a suggestion, put that new car seat in the middle of the rear. That way it will protrude between the two front seats, it's a safer location, and allows a little closer access for new new addition (being overprotective is 100% normal for your 1st). Either way, the only downside is that it's a bit harder to get the carseat/baby in and out since you have to reach to the middle.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There have already been two people stranded due to the electronic key fob and push button start. How do you like it now??

They wouldn't have been stranded if they had a mechanical key and ignition. I bet they think that button is a lot less cool now, don't they?

I am all for technology, but not at the expense of reliability. Anything that compromises the reliability or security of my vehicle, I am not in favor of.

The keyless electronic FOB compromises on reliability and security, so I am not sure why people here stroke it so much?

No one has been able to logically with empirical evidence explain to me why I would desire a keyless electronic FOB over a mechanical key. They just say things like "It's cool".

Well something being "cool" or "different" isn't a persuading factor to me. Having my key break because it gets wet and strands me with my vehicle is!

Having someone push the start button against my will because the key is in proximity is!

Having to find a place to store the stupidly large bulky key fob (and associated attached house / work keys) instead of just hanging in the ignition is.

I don't want to be unable to use my vehicle because my electronically sensitive fob is malfunctioning. With a physical mechanical key, that is never a problem.

Again, why should I desire a electronic non durable keyless fob and a push button start?
We had the same type of keyless entry system on a 2011 Grand Cherokee that we had. We loved the convenience of the feature for locking or unlocking the vehicle. It was great on those days when you had your arms full of groceries or our daughter and didn’t have the keyfob handy, but we could get a few fingers around the handle to unlock the doors. It’s been a few years so I don’t recall 100%, but I don’t think the GC let us lock it if they keys were in it. I might be misremembering that, but I think its right. After we traded our GC for a Ram 2500 we found ourselves missing the keyless entry we had on our GC, so much so that we entertained getting a DEI system that would sync with our smartphones for the keyless/entry exit. That said though, we owned the vehicle for 3.5 years with not one issue with the system especially considering how often the key fob was dropped.

Were there people that issues with the system, possibly, never paid attention really. What’s my point with this, as we’re all well aware that JL has only entered it’s production run as a completely new platform within the last 30-60 days. These type of issues regardless of how crappy they are tend to manifest themselves in newly redesigned vehicles. If the JL is still having this issue 12, 24 or even 48 months from now then I would agree with your point about reliability.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windows aren't auto up.
ZACKLY!

It’s 2018 and virtually every other model out there does this.... Except for the Wrangler.

Plus side, the rear wire has a more than just the one option the JK has.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
LOVE THE JL
HATE THE BODY COLOR FENDERS on Sahara and Rubicon Models.
The two tone half Painted piece, half plain plastic bottom half look CHEAP to say it best. Styling wise this is a big dissapoointment for the "Premium Trim" JL. I understand on the Sport, or if a buyer prefers the Non Painted fenders to match their non painted hard top. When you pay the premium of the upgraded trim level, opt for body color hard top, steel bumpers, and there is the plain plastic lower half on the exterior of the fender it just looks CHEAP. Hope this is a common complaint and fixed moving forward.
Thing is I’m pretty sure that you’d get so many chips on your fenders if they were painted all over, that we’d all end up being pissed... I’m personally ok with this
Sponsored