Sponsored

Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
Before buying the JK a few months ago, it had been many years since any of my cars required a key, and it sucked to go back to a key. Running up to car in rain carrying one year old, do I want to A) screw around digging a key out of my coat pocket so that I can get in the car, put the key back in a pocket to secure infant, dig it back out in rain, or inconveniently after sitting in driver's seat, and have to start the car, or just grab the handle and be in, then push a button to start the car. Simple. I put the key in my coat for the car I'm driving at the time, and I leave it, for days, why get it out? I use homelink to get into my house, well, not in JK, but can't tell you the last time I used a house key. Just don't get the aversion to this.

My minor nitpicks with a vehicle I overall am very impressed with:

Would like recline on rear seats, or ability to remove outboard headrests. Those with car seats would understand this the most I think.

Wish the Mopar Performance Rock Rails were factory option, meaning reduced price due to credit for the stock Rubicon rock rails.

Wish they had upped the HP and torque numbers, say 300/300, that would have been ideal for me.
Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Overall I like almost everything. The one thing that stood out to me is that the turn signal stalk is too short. I don't have small hands so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I gave up proximity keys when I got my jk and missed it a lot. The one time I feel like a key might be better is in 4L with a manual, I believe you could turn over the engine in gear without a key.....that would be odd with a button.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Overall I like almost everything. The one thing that stood out to me is that the turn signal stalk is too short. I don't have small hands so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I gave up proximity keys when I got my jk and missed it a lot. The one time I feel like a key might be better is in 4L with a manual, I believe you could turn over the engine in gear without a key.....that would be odd with a button.
I wonder what a proximity sensor costs to replace compared to a key? My family members have lost/misplaced keys before and it will happen again. It's been low cost to get replacement keys and have extras on hand. Is there more expense with the proximity "keys" in those regards? Maybe at least there is something on the proximity key that aids in finding it if misplaced?

In general a continuing theme for me with the new JL is costs now and in the future, especially down the road when components might have issues out of warranty. I do notice on this site people can be VERY different in terms of spending money and concern over costs.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase

I decided to not get the proximity door locks for two major reasons. #1 I don't plan on locking it too often. It is a Jeep and should be missing a top or doors for the majority of the year. #2 when I go out for a run I often times try to hide my keys under the car so I don't have to carry them. Based on the size of the key fob I will definitely have to do that with this key fob. That could make locking your doors useless. And I would also prefer spending $500 on a new front bumper, armor or rock sliders.

Sponsored

MEO73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon
I don’t know about you, but I find these threads negative and unproductive. The Debbie Downer threads. Why get a JL, then? Why not get a JK? Instead of what you don’t like about the JL, how about what you’re going to change on your new JL? Let’s face it, Jeep has the best after market and you have options.
I think it’s interesting to hear about others ideas/concerns. I hadnt considered the possibility of a more modular hardtop or split rear bench in the two door, for example. So for me, seeing others thoughts has been helpful. Fortunately, no one is forced to read these forums so people can freely express their thoughts. Those who are interested, like me, can choose to read them. Those who dont care or find it unhelpful, can ignore them. Thats the beauty of free speech and open forums.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I wonder what a proximity sensor costs to replace compared to a key? My family members have lost/misplaced keys before and it will happen again. It's been low cost to get replacement keys and have extras on hand. Is there more expense with the proximity "keys" in those regards? Maybe at least there is something on the proximity key that aids in finding it if misplaced?.
Man, if somebody loses this fob, they’ll immediately notice it, as he will find balance again since that thing is huge ! Lol
It’s like have you ever heard of any of these guys losing their cell phones ?! Exactly ! Engineers at Jeep are geniuses ! :)

3D2A124D-5AD5-47E5-BD9F-C3D769B5E2FC.png

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Man, if somebody loses this fob, they’ll immediately notice it, as he will find balance again since that thing is huge ! Lol
It’s like have you ever heard of any of these guys losing their cell phones ?! Exactly ! Engineers at Jeep are geniuses ! :)

3D2A124D-5AD5-47E5-BD9F-C3D769B5E2FC.png
Just call that phone tactical comms, add some MOLLE and you'll make millions!

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
1) Price - Loaded Rubi is now in Raptor territory and a loaded ZR2 is cheaper (I know apples to oranges, but from a Offroad standpoint not far apart).

I keep hearing this and am really confused. I do t know where y’all are finding these $55k raptors, around here it’s hard to find used ones under $50... New ones go in the 70k+ range!

Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I keep hearing this and am really confused. I do t know where y’all are finding these $55k raptors, around here it’s hard to find used ones under $50... New ones go in the 70k+ range!
I heard that. Not to mention that I paid $45ish OTD for a auto JLUR with auto and all the goodies I wanted including dual top. There are a ton of used JKUR with 20-30k miles for over $35k. So I get a far superior vehicle for basically 8k more that is 3-4 years newer and less miles. Is it more expensive yes, but you are getting more as well.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
THe fact that they bundled too many things as packages, rather than letting us customize exactly the way we want to. Like, let me get heated seats and not an insanely priced cold weather group, or let me have a tow hitch without a towing and HD electrical package. I would have still spent the same money, but added another feature instead of things I didn’t want.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
They’re out there, but they don’t build many that way from the factory. You’d likely have to order a Raptor for anything under $60K. When I found one for $60K, I knew it was a good purchase, because anyone will give you more than that if you sell it. Which is what I ultimalty did.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I heard that. Not to mention that I paid $45ish OTD for a auto JLUR with auto and all the goodies I wanted including dual top. There are a ton of used JKUR with 20-30k miles for over $35k. So I get a far superior vehicle for basically 8k more that is 3-4 years newer and less miles. Is it more expensive yes, but you are getting more as well.
This