Sponsored

Top Side Oil Change?

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
On all my cars (except one where the filter is only accessible from underneath) I do the oil changes topside - filter is on top, use an extractor through the dip stick tube to take old oil out, then refill with fresh oil. Looking at the 3.6, looks like filter and everything is accessible from up top as well. I searched the threads but didn't see anyone mentioning changing their oil this way on the 3.6 JL. Is it possible? Recommended?

Thanks!

-Spaghettipie
Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I hadn't considered a top extractor, always using bottom drain plug on all my cars. I like to let gravity pull 100% of the old oil. That said, I'm not as nimble as I used to be, thus working from the top may be a good option.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So simple doing it the drain way, no need to consider other options IMO. This vehicle is the easiest to DIY your oil changes in my 40+ years of doing this stuff.

Unless you absolutely can't get under your vehicle that is :)

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Read good, bad, and ugly about Mityvac products. They get great reviews, however, they seem to fail after a few uses with oil going everywhere.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Maybe I am just old school...... I like the run the vehicle until the oil is at normal temperature (drive it a few miles) turn it off! while oil is hot and thin open the drain and allow it to drain completely. I am of the thought that anything that is possibly in the bottom of the pan will be pulled out with the rapid flow of the oil exiting the pan. Some people say “ there should not be anything in the pan.” Right??? How would ever know if there ever was? If you never look or even touch the oil. I also like to place white paper towels in my drain sump to be able to see debris better

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Read good, bad, and ugly about Mityvac products. They get great reviews, however, they seem to fail after a few uses with oil going everywhere.
I’ve used mityvac for 15+ years to change differential oil and suck up trans fluid before dropping the pan. Never any issues

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve used mityvac for 15+ years to change differential oil and suck up trans fluid before dropping the pan. Never any issues
That would be the best use for it IMO. But since you aren't dropping the Jeep oil pan (at least for basic service) no need to use upper extraction, it's just too easy (and more effective) to let gravity run its' course :)
Probably take longer to set the thing up than it would to do a simple JL oil change :)

norbert

First Name
Norbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Billet Silver/Black
That would be the best use for it IMO. But since you aren't dropping the Jeep oil pan (at least for basic service) no need to use upper extraction, it's just too easy (and more effective) to let gravity run its' course :)
Probably take longer to set the thing up than it would to do a simple JL oil change :)
It probably doesn't save time but it sure is a lot less mess. Plus the filter is on top as well. Would like to know if going through the dipstick tube gets 5 quarts out? I already use the pump out method on my other Pentastar V6 cars.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It probably doesn't save time but it sure is a lot less mess. Plus the filter is on top as well. Would like to know if going through the dipstick tube gets 5 quarts out? I already use the pump out method on my other Pentastar V6 cars.
The only mess you'll have is cleaning out the oil drain pan, unless your changing your oil in hurricane-force wind :)

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
On all my cars (except one where the filter is only accessible from underneath) I do the oil changes topside - filter is on top, use an extractor through the dip stick tube to take old oil out, then refill with fresh oil. Looking at the 3.6, looks like filter and everything is accessible from up top as well. I searched the threads but didn't see anyone mentioning changing their oil this way on the 3.6 JL. Is it possible? Recommended?

Thanks!

-Spaghettipie
I’m 73 years old and I use a fumoto drain valve on the oil pan. Even I can slide a pan under the Jeep turn the valve on. Come back after I eat lunch and finish the job.
Sponsored