Sponsored

Top Feature or Option FCA could discontinue

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I get and respect this. For me though, so few in the Wrangler community use this feature compared to things on a Wrangler we do with out and pay extra for that other manufacturers would not have dreamed of not providing 30 years ago to remain competitive.

For example, how hard would it have been for FCA to have put a lockable interior (and optional) hood locking mechanism into the rig such that rigs with their tops off could still have, at user option, their hoods locked. Or how's about @BullMoose1776's one touch up power windows?

My feeling is that many would--so as to not increase purchase price, choose basic features like this over ones that a small minority hold dear--much that I completely get your desire for this windshield dropping functionality and FCA's commitment to not stray too far from the Wrangler's roots such that it looses its own DNA.

And perhaps needless to say, there was a lot more $ spent on engineering this feature than mere latch points and hinges, as roof integrity had to be rethought in a rig which could rely less on windshield infrastructure supporting the cabin of a barrel rolled rig.
Ability to drop the windshield is one of the things that make the Wrangler a Wrangler, otherwise it's a Liberty or a Cherokee.

One of the reasons I never dropped the windshield on prior generations was because it was a real impractical pain, with the JL I dropped it twice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
My vote is they go with a single wiring harness. They either inventory a significant number of wiring harnesses, or they custom tailor the wiring harness with each build. My data point is that they have had to modify my wiring harness for at least two of my Mopar accessory kit installations. Seeing that FCA seems to do dumb stuff, and stocking multiple wiring harnesses is the dumber of the two options I gave proposed, I will assume they stock multiple wiring harnesses. My offer into this pool is to consolidate to one wiring harness that works with all Jeep configurations.
I don't understand why the Sport needed to have it's own grill and bumpers

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I just wish they would have used a different fey fob. The entire flip key concept is outdated. They should have just hid it inside the fob like all their other new vehicles.
I think the retaining the flip key is justified because one may need lockable compartments (center console and glove box) for doors off mode.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
I get and respect this. For me though, so few in the Wrangler community use this feature compared to things on a Wrangler we do with out and pay extra for that other manufacturers would not have dreamed of not providing 30 years ago to remain competitive.

For example, how hard would it have been for FCA to have put a lockable interior (and optional) hood locking mechanism into the rig such that rigs with their tops off could still have, at user option, their hoods locked. Or how's about @BullMoose1776's one touch up power windows?

My feeling is that many would--so as to not increase purchase price, choose basic features like this over ones that a small minority hold dear--much that I completely get your desire for this windshield dropping functionality and FCA's commitment to not stray too far from the Wrangler's roots such that it looses its own DNA.

And perhaps needless to say, there was a lot more $ spent on engineering this feature than mere latch points and hinges, as roof integrity had to be rethought in a rig which could rely less on windshield infrastructure supporting the cabin of a barrel rolled rig.
Its not a matter of how many people actually do it, its a because I can if I want to feature. I agree its in its DNA...

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I think the retaining the flip key is justified because one may need lockable compartments (center console and glove box) for doors off mode.
Good point. I didn't think about that.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't understand why the Sport needed to have it's own grill and bumpers
To make it look cheap.
I also never understood why sport needed to have its own bumper either, but at least it looked better than the Sahara.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I just wish they would have used a different fey fob. The entire flip key concept is outdated. They should have just hid it inside the fob like all their other new vehicles.
I prefer the flip key for the Jeep. I actually use the key daily to lock my center console. I know that any determined thief will get that shit open no matter what, but I would do it than not. If the key was like my Mazda then you would have to pull out just a little key that isn't attached and it would be way more cumbersome and annoying. The flip key allows easy access for those without electronic locks and for locking the center console/glove box.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

My vote is they go with a single wiring harness. They either inventory a significant number of wiring harnesses, or they custom tailor the wiring harness with each build. My data point is that they have had to modify my wiring harness for at least two of my Mopar accessory kit installations. Seeing that FCA seems to do dumb stuff, and stocking multiple wiring harnesses is the dumber of the two options I gave proposed, I will assume they stock multiple wiring harnesses. My offer into this pool is to consolidate to one wiring harness that works with all Jeep configurations.
The wiring harnesses in multiple configurations likely saves money. It costs money to run extra wiring that won't be put in use. As is, the harness is pretty much a data bus now, so increasingly I suspect eliminating wiring not in use will reduce costs further.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Auto start/stop.
I *hate* that 'feature'.

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
automatic climate control. Have had it in my last few vehicles and have literally never used it. Manual climate settings only for me. What I miss though, is that in some older cars I had (Ford Mustang, SVT Focus, Suzuki Samurai) I could leave the fan in the off position with the recirculating button off and draw in outside air as long as I was moving. this was great in the winter: just set it to warm and feet and you could have a steady, but not overwhelming flow of warm outside air without the fan. Modern vehicles seem to lose this "feature" for some reason.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I'd like to be able to order a Wrangler with no options other than the Rubicon mechanicals.

Is that asking too much?

Doc

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t even lock my doors. :) locking gas cap isn’t a bad idea, if nothing else to keep some kids from playing a costly joke.
Many years ago, I kept thinking I was going through gas much faster than I ever had before, but I decided I was imagining it. Then I had a few days of not driving right after filling up. My Jeep went from full to 1/4 tank. Someone had been REPEATEDLY siphoning gas out of my Jeep. I added a locking gas cap, and it never happened again. My new one doesn't have the locking cap, but I have security cameras now ;)
Sponsored