Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Suppose FCA said they can only keep so many SKUs of options and features for a Wrangler model on their books at one time.

It's not precisely true, although there are limits on the number of distinct products that can be managed by FCA without increasing staff, which are likely prioritized by profit.

What would you have them get rid of? My vote would be for elimination of their POS hood lock which requires user configuration. Bolt has this covered better with their automatic key matching technology.

A folding windshield, while I know some people love, might be high on my list too, if those monies were redirected towards features more desired. I'm afraid IMHO, this feature is a "hat tip" to loyalists, itself purely a product of a War Jeep folding into a crate, than much used today.
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Suppose FCA said they can only keep so many SKUs of options and features for a Wrangler model on their books at one time.

It's not precisely true, although there are limits on the number of distinct products that can be managed by FCA without increasing staff, which are likely prioritized by profit.

What would you have them get rid of? My vote would be for elimination of their POS hood lock which requires user configuration. Bolt has this covered better with their automatic key matching technology.

A folding windshield, while I know some people love, might be high on my list too, if those monies were redirected towards features more desired. I'm afraid IMHO, this feature is a "hat tip" to loyalists, itself purely a product of a War Jeep folding into a crate, than much used today.
I would like to see them get rid of:
*The fact that you CAN'T lock your hood from the factory
* The fact that you CAN'T lock your gas cap from the factory

I have already replaced my gas cap with a locking one and am looking at options to lock the hood.

In today's world I would feel a lot better in having these safeguards in place.

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I have already replaced my gas cap with a locking one and am looking at options to lock the hood.

I don’t even lock my doors. :) locking gas cap isn’t a bad idea, if nothing else to keep some kids from playing a costly joke.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned

Interesting; you've worded elimination in the negative--i.e. ADD things. ;)

I see what you did there.:)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

more desired features are provided by the extremely large vendor community, leave our folding windshield alone, tons of vehicles out there that provide tons of more desired features for significantly less than the cost of the Wrangler, why make it into just another SUV?

We already have to deal with tons of electronics and nanny crap, taking away the Wranglerness from the Wrangler is well plain nuts.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

My vote is they go with a single wiring harness. They either inventory a significant number of wiring harnesses, or they custom tailor the wiring harness with each build. My data point is that they have had to modify my wiring harness for at least two of my Mopar accessory kit installations. Seeing that FCA seems to do dumb stuff, and stocking multiple wiring harnesses is the dumber of the two options I gave proposed, I will assume they stock multiple wiring harnesses. My offer into this pool is to consolidate to one wiring harness that works with all Jeep configurations.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I would have ordered manual windows and manual locks if it was available.

And if I must have automatic windows, then for goodness sake make them all automatic...up and down!
My 2016 Ram 2500 has automatic up windows and it's a piece of shit. The automatic up feature is so sensitive that it won't even roll up while driving down a gravel roll. I wouldn't trust the wrangler to he any different if they added it.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’d be okay with them discontinuing power windows, locks and push-button start so I could go back to this key instead of the gigantic one:

0F93E998-6CE1-474A-B629-99B34F6461AD.jpeg

Also wouldn’t have to deal with a harness on the door and could just lift it off like the old days.

When I sold my TJ in 2012 I legitimately couldn’t find the second key, pictured above. When I moved in 2013 I found it. I keep it with my JL’s key to remind me of a simpler time

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I’d be okay with them discontinuing power windows, locks and push-button start so I could go back to this key instead of the gigantic one:

Also wouldn’t have to deal with a harness on the door and could just lift it off like the old days.

When I sold my TJ in 2012 I legitimately couldn’t find the second key, pictured above. When I moved in 2013 I found it. I keep it with my JL’s key to remind me of a simpler time
I just wish they would have used a different fey fob. The entire flip key concept is outdated. They should have just hid it inside the fob like all their other new vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
more desired features are provided by the extremely large vendor community, leave our folding windshield alone, tons of vehicles out there that provide tons of more desired features for significantly less than the cost of the Wrangler, why make it into just another SUV?

We already have to deal with tons of electronics and nanny crap, taking away the Wranglerness from the Wrangler is well plain nuts.
I get and respect this. For me though, so few in the Wrangler community use this feature compared to things on a Wrangler we do with out and pay extra for that other manufacturers would not have dreamed of not providing 30 years ago to remain competitive.

For example, how hard would it have been for FCA to have put a lockable interior (and optional) hood locking mechanism into the rig such that rigs with their tops off could still have, at user option, their hoods locked. Or how's about @BullMoose1776's one touch up power windows?

My feeling is that many would--so as to not increase purchase price, choose basic features like this over ones that a small minority hold dear--much that I completely get your desire for this windshield dropping functionality and FCA's commitment to not stray too far from the Wrangler's roots such that it looses its own DNA.

And perhaps needless to say, there was a lot more $ spent on engineering this feature than mere latch points and hinges, as roof integrity had to be rethought in a rig which could rely less on windshield infrastructure supporting the cabin of a barrel rolled rig.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

FCA certainly could have designed a smaller fob around the existing circuitry. Any claim that they were at the mercy of a vendor's need to make the fob's circuit board only so small would not be legitimate.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
My vote is they go with a single wiring harness. They either inventory a significant number of wiring harnesses, or they custom tailor the wiring harness with each build. My data point is that they have had to modify my wiring harness for at least two of my Mopar accessory kit installations. Seeing that FCA seems to do dumb stuff, and stocking multiple wiring harnesses is the dumber of the two options I gave proposed, I will assume they stock multiple wiring harnesses. My offer into this pool is to consolidate to one wiring harness that works with all Jeep configurations.
Problem is, having multiple harnesses lowers the cost if you don't have things like proximity entry, etc. If they put the same maxed-out harness in every vehicle you'd end up paying extra for wiring you may never use.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Problem is, having multiple harnesses lowers the cost if you don't have things like proximity entry, etc. If they put the same maxed-out harness in every vehicle you'd end up paying extra for wiring you may never use.
I would argue that the cost of the “wasted” wiring you end up with by having a single wiring harness is dwarfed by the cost of maintaining the inventory of multiple harnesses. One harness to build, certify, test, maintain vs doing all that crap for multiple skus.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I still think they're complicating their life with Katzkin leather. Offer a factory cloth and factory leather option on all models, done

And yeah, the engineering in the factory fob just to make the key pop out is insane. They coulda put that time to better use...
Sponsored