Top Factory Option You'd Pass On

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Also wish we could opt out of ASS (Auto stop start), as it's unnecessary to begin with and I'd rather not be pulling plugs or installing stuff to get rid of a feature I never asked for in the first place
Agree, ESS is the most painful and useless tech ever invented. One of the first things I switch off after starting the vehicle, and curse myself when I forget to do it and the engine switches off at the next busy intersection. Had the same in a BMW and they still insist on not letting the driver decide on the default position.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Agree, ASS is the most painful and useless tech ever invented. One of the first things I switch off after starting the vehicle, and curse myself when I forget to do it and the engine switches off at the next busy intersection. Had the same in a BMW and they still insist on not letting the driver decide on the default position.
Fortunately, there are a million and one ways to defeat ASS

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Not interested in the package that has the adaptive cruise. Have it on the Grand Cherokee and it’s pretty annoying much of the time. Didn't see the need for that on the Rubi.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The Automatic.

Our JL is a 6spd, but we recently purchased Gladiator with the 8spd only for the increased towing capacity. I didn't realize how much I missed the manual until I drove our 4dr for a couple days last week. I didn't want to give it back to my wife.
I would still get the automatic again on the Gladiator due to the increased tow capacity(It is a great automatic transmission), but in the JL it is an option I would pass on.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As an more "senior" member of the forum, let me say that a day will come where additional eyes on the road are helpful. There are lots of reasons one can say "I didn't see that" and a beep or nudge would be handy. Hopefully no one with the features will ever quit driving their car without still looking before they turn or pull over, or back up.
After being backed into on 2 occassions, t-bone style in broad daylight, i kinda wish everyone had rear parksense beeping at them. Fortunately, no damage or murder charges. Unfortunately, cameras and too many eyes to beat the parksense into them.

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hardtop headliner. Save your money and go with HotHeads—better product and close to the same cost.
I totally hate to admit I went for the factory hardtop headliner, but this was my first hardtop...

I just installed my HotHeads Headliner (with Sound Assassin option) this afternoon I bought with the Labor Day discount. I've used this type of sound deadening material before in other vehicles, and it works well. I can honestly say the HotHeads Headliner is so vastly superior to the OEM that it's embarrassing.

I did see the Coverking headliner, which has a very nice appearance, but between the reflective layer of HotHeads and the much thicker foams used, I am still convinced HotHeads is the way to go for a hardtop headliner.

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Things on the Jeep =
1. The LED. The Halo in the headlights look stupid. The size and the shape are the rear tail lights. They are just asking to be ripped off on a trail.

2. Painted fenders. Thought I could live with them.

3. Tires. Should have got the M/T's.

Things I did not get =
1. Steel bumpers. Had it the JK. You can't even rub against the front bumper.

2. Adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, backup sensors. Those things are great any other vehicles but not great on a vehicle that goes on trails.

3. Hardtop. Even with snow and cold Winters premium top that's all I need. Plus one other thing I don't have to worry about on the trail.

4. Navigation. Android auto is so much better.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As an more "senior" member of the forum, let me say that a day will come where additional eyes on the road are helpful. There are lots of reasons one can say "I didn't see that" and a beep or nudge would be handy. Hopefully no one with the features will ever quit driving their car without still looking before they turn or pull over, or back up.
I agree. But computers and technology are there to aid mankind's safety, not a substitute for still driving old school, like, turning your head in the direction your rig is going before moving, and staying off the dang cell phone.

Sponsored

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
All Weather Floor Mats, I prefer the WeatherTech, I don't need drain holes
I like WeatherTech and used to live very close to the factory store which allowed for free pick up. They also have baristas and snacks in the factory store to make it worth the visit. I have had WeatherTech in ever vehicle for years. With that being said, when researching the JL (first vehicle bought since moving away from factory store), I was looking at how expensive it is to buy WeatherTech and decided to get the Mopar floor mats. They are just as good and less expensive as a factory option. After a few months I decided we also needed the rear cargo (seat removed) mat and WeathTech make the best one for the two door.

ejc2g

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon (soon)
For me, it was a hard pass on leather for the Rubicon I just ordered.

This is a summer only vehicle for me, so the top would be off most of the time.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
No other lock up inside for the trunk etc. Only thing to take inside is a phone charger. Not a good idea to lock a convertible. If someone wants in they will just slice open the top.
This would make a great separate topic if not already done!

Allen

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Wouldn’t get liners for hardtop, door sill guard or tra rail system....
Sponsored