Sponsored

Top-down look at JL/JLU hard and soft tops, including power sliding top

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Hey all,

Take a look at this walk around video of the JL from TFL. If you skip to 10:00 you will see how easily the soft top operates.

*CassieAtBestop
Dreams ruined. Looks like I'll be shelling out 5k for an automated top
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Hey all,

Take a look at this walk around video of the JL from TFL. If you skip to 10:00 you will see how easily the soft top operates.

*CassieAtBestop
I had a Bestop on my CJ-5 for many years, and as the only top on that vehicle year round, it held up to a lot of usage. I still have a 20+ year old Bestop for my CJ-7 which I swap in winter for a hardtop. I've been happy with that top as well. This new top in the video seems convenient in terms of folding back on the 4 door model, especially if as mentioned the rear/side windows are easy to remove.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah us folks proficient in OEM YJ tops could only erect those on warm days in 7 minutes. Dark, rain, cool temps... CJs and the snaps? Misery.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey there,

The soft tops on the Jeeps at the debut were full production tops. Jeep decided to not install the side widows, I am assuming for ease of operating the top for media and people attending the show - and so the windows don't just walk off I am sure.

M assumption is that it has been fixed, FCA had to sign off on everything for production. We should have 2 JL's around Christmas so I will take some pictures if i haven't found any by then :) *CassieAtBestop

Thank you Cassie for the detailed information! I've noticed that there is not a single photo from the reveal, or the hundreds of recent photos from road and track, motor trend, or car and driver that show a clear side view of the JLU with soft top rear quarter panels installed. I'm hoping this means Jeep has noticed the misalignment of the windows and doesn't want people to see an error that will ultimately be fixed. Cassie, if you can confirm this will be fixed, I'd be grateful if you could share it here. It's the only remaining issue that would prevent me from loving this new top!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I was pretty pissed that they didn't include the side & rear window, because I really wanted to see how it would collapse with it on. Like who are you trying to fool?

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
So to me this sounds like they still don’t align? Cassie says they had full productions tops, but did not say anything about reengineering to fix the alignment issue. Did I misinterpret something?

Although I see what everyone is talking about it doesn’t personally bother me that much. If the drive train is bullet proof and the new electronics work well and hold up over time, those to me are much more important then the window alignment. I guess I pick my battles, however if you are spending that kinda change on a new vehicle it is a bit disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Hitman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Will there be a Power Soft Top for the 2-door JL?