Sponsored

Top accessories when top down and doors off

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I know we all have loose stuff in our jeeps plus some off road gear in our trunk bins etc so security is usually one of my first priority when I take doors off and no top, unfortunately I miss not having a locking center console which came in handy to just throw your small items in for storage, I think as suggested by others obviously Sun protection and a good plan B option for occasional unexpected rain but from my personal experience I’ve never had any luck with anything I purchased to help with rain, my seats etc have always gotten wet.
You don't have this setup?

0d0eec52-4aa7-4c44-a619-3316bfa6763b-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
You don't have this setup?

0d0eec52-4aa7-4c44-a619-3316bfa6763b-jpeg.jpg
Yes, but I haven’t tested this on my new JL yet but my 16 rubi JK could be opened with a pocket knife, on my older jeeps we always had the lock on top and it was an actual metal locking system which you needed the key to open not a plastic slot like we have now, I understand that anything can be broken into with proper tools and time but I feel like ever since I discovered that on my JK the center console to me is not secure and wish we had a proper lock on it

B2F5B86D-393B-469D-BFAE-5BA5A7D52163.jpeg

43475D27-79F6-4C7A-8DBF-2E7A0F04EB19.jpeg

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
A thing I keep in my Jeep for top off and doors off driving that I haven't seen mentioned is ear plugs. Nothing fancy, just some cheap foam ear plugs. Sometimes, even driving at reasonable speeds, the wind in the ear can be brutal. A foam ear plug helps a lot. I keep a small handful in a plastic bag in the glove box.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Locking center console cover.

D2FDA2A7-EE30-47DA-8678-75F517B74FB3.jpeg

50CA47BD-9AEA-4B91-8410-B134CE16A144.jpeg
Can that console insert be removed, when locked, just by removing the four star drive fasteners?

A thing I keep in my Jeep for top off and doors off driving that I haven't seen mentioned is ear plugs.
In some states, driving with obstructed hearing can lead to a citation, and/or criminal charges in the event of a collision. This includes headphones, ear buds and of course ear plugs. In California and Maryland, for example, it's illegal. Other jurisdictions have their own rules, and piecemeal exceptions, on the matter. It's not a subject on which we can or should offer broadband permission. The Jeep owner should have a look at the state or local laws that would affect him personally.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
2nd the ear plug comments. Not legal in all areas.

The lockable console is not removeable by just taking those fasteners out. You have to open the console and remove hardware "inside" the console, at least that's how the Tuffy works.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Can that console insert be removed, when locked, just by removing the four star drive fasteners?

In some states, driving with obstructed hearing can lead to a citation, and/or criminal charges in the event of a collision. This includes headphones, ear buds and of course ear plugs. In California and Maryland, for example, it's illegal. Other jurisdictions have their own rules, and piecemeal exceptions, on the matter. It's not a subject on which we can or should offer broadband permission. The Jeep owner should have a look at the state or local laws that would affect him personally.
It can be if you have the tamper key. They have that notch in the center of the star. Honestly I suppose you can probably rip it out if you wanted to. 99% of thieves are looking for a quick in and out. They aren't going to mess with it.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Yes, but I haven’t tested this on my new JL yet but my 16 rubi JK could be opened with a pocket knife, on my older jeeps we always had the lock on top and it was an actual metal locking system which you needed the key to open not a plastic slot like we have now, I understand that anything can be broken into with proper tools and time but I feel like ever since I discovered that on my JK the center console to me is not secure and wish we had a proper lock on it

Jeep Wrangler JL Top accessories when top down and doors off 43475D27-79F6-4C7A-8DBF-2E7A0F04EB19

Jeep Wrangler JL Top accessories when top down and doors off 43475D27-79F6-4C7A-8DBF-2E7A0F04EB19
Gotcha. Definitely not bullet proof but I was glad to see something there at least.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I personally wouldn't rely on the Jeep's locking console any more than I would rely on locking the glove compartment. Quick pry and it's open. The Tuffy center console insert doesn't have those exposed screws like the one pictured.

@JaxBeachJeep it def sounds like the underfloor storage in the back would work well for you. The all weather mat in the back goes a long way to keep that bin dry, but if you're keeping a laptop in there, the dry bag sounds like the way to go so there's no risk. You can pull the drain plug in that bin too.

Regarding the ear plugs, I'm starting to think I must be a weirdo. I'll do 3-4 hours at 75+mph no doors/roof with no problem. Also I really appreciate the extra awareness of the cars around me because I can hear them.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Regarding the ear plugs, I'm starting to think I must be a weirdo. I'll do 3-4 hours at 75+mph no doors/roof with no problem.
Plenty fine in headwinds, or tailwinds, or moderate sidewind even. But on I-25 going across WY it can be pretty rough. I don't put them in all the time, but I always have them available. Started doing it when riding motorcycles, just found a set of ear plugs in underneath the helmet greatly reduced the noise and made riding long distances far less draining.

As far as legality of it goes, California was specifically cited as a place you cannot wear ear plugs. But that's simply wrong for the purpose of this conversation. CA, like most other jurisdictions, follows the one ear rule. (See CA vehicle code 27400 below) If you're driving you put the ear plug in your left ear, leaving your right ear open. In addition CA law specifically calls out hearing protection being allowed as long as it does not inhibit the ability to hear a siren. Put some shooting muffs over the top of the foam ear plugs and okay that might be illegal, but one ear plug in is fine in CA. And really, are you going to get stopped for it? It's my understanding that law enforcement in CA has more important crimes they can be going after. You all probably think two side mirrors are required as well.

Johnny Law said:
A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer’s ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 451, Sec. 55. (SB 491) Effective January 1, 2016.)

OP
OP
JaxBeachJeep

JaxBeachJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z4 but next is a Jeep, had a 94 in college
I never had any problems back in the day with my old YJ on the highway but I am interested to see how the 8 speaker base sound system is with the doors and top off. My drive to work is about 12 miles of pretty much all 65mph highway.

Guitar Man

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler S 2dr
Occupation
"Honey Do" List
i will 3rd the rain gear cover. had to use mine the other day as the jeep was out and mother nature decided to give the jeep a shower while my daily was in the garage having some surgery.
i have an alien sunshade, love it. keeps just enough sun off of me to make a difference. i bought a Rampage toneau cover for the back when the top is completely off. definitely not water proof but it keeps things from flying out.
How do you like the Rampage tonneau? Is it flat and smooth or does it sag in front behind the seats. I'm having trouble finding a good one.
Sponsored