Top 10 things Jeep should have done

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Here’s one that not one person had mentioned. How about getting you’re new Jeep “without” any dents in the doors????? Every Jeep has dents in at least one to Two doors, primarily the drivers door. Go look at your Jeep, we all paid FCA for our Jeeps with dents in the doors coming from the factory.

How did FORD figure this out? The new Bronco doesn’t have dents in its doors.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rubicon, just wished after paying 50,000 it came without dents from the factory. If my Jeep has dents, I’d like to be the one putting them on my Jeep, not FCA.
Sponsored

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
I owned a 18 JLUR, then went to a truck, now back into a JLUR. Love it but I wish they'd fix some simple things and offer some things from Factory. Here's my top 10 from simple to more complex.

1. brighter LEDs in the interior. The lighting is terrible and an easy fix. $1-2 bucks maybe for brighter LEDS.
2. Tailgate compartment light. Yes you can add the Brawlee, but come on.
3. Auto UP windows. They have auto down already. Auto up exists in most of their product line. Not hard.
4. Wireless Apple Car Play vs having to plug in a wire. We have self driving car tech now, it can't be hard to cut the usb cord.
5. Something from the factory that prevents stuff from falling in between the seats into the abyss. I solved this with a $1 mod. Again, simple add.
6. Rear middle seat has ZERO support under it - just foam and fabric. I bought the mod from MetalCloak, but shouldn't have to.
7. Get rid of the flip up cover over the media connections panel.
8. Recessed power outlet in the tailgate compartment , or move it. When you plug something into it, currrent config makes the plug stick out and can be bashed.
9. Make the rear seats fold totally flat relative to the tailgate area. Toyota somehow figured this out with the 4Runner.
10. This one costs money. All things power connections. Put a second power outlet on right side of tail gate compartment area. Put plug-in easy power connection in rearview mirror stack to make dash cam, Radio, etc wiring less DIY. Add recessed power outlet connection to tray on top of dash, Add optional Overlanding power package: multi-plug-in-play power module panel (vs just one 12V outlet) in rear compartment so its less DIY to add accessories and less risk to wire poorly.

Bonus: Lasers. Passenger ejection seat.
Ironically your top 4 i thght of a week into owning my first JL and wrangler for the matter. However theres only 2 things id wish jeep had
-Not having auto up makes zero sense considering where window buttons are
-the rear seats are like in a black hole at night. Cant see a thing back there at night. No foot lights no full time on led dim lights anywhere. True story —- my 7 yr old pointed this out. Our Ford Explorer has it. My 15 bmw does as well.
Give me those 2 and shes complete for me....overall totally love the wrangler. Super impressed and no clue how it took me 30 yrs of driving to get my azz in one

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

How about a heated shifter for the manual owners with the Cold Weather Package? Damn thing gets cold and the heated steering wheel is like lava. I keep a singular right-hand glove in the Jeep for shifting in the winter. I look like a complete psychopath when I get out and realize I only have on one glove.

Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
1. CARPLAY notifications - from Maps - Google - messages etc could be displayed in the centre display like how the UCONNECT apps can do...

2. Rear seat electrical plug that can power something useful like electrical tools... Hell mine won't even power a hair-dryer...

3. Windshield wipers that auto detect rain

4. Powered folding side mirrors.

5. Built in reserve gas tank just like motorcycles have.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
A small nitpick thing nobody mentioned.. a sun visor that when extended covers the entire drive side window. No matter what, the sun seems to find that 2” gap right into my eyes (I did say it was nitpicking :) ).

Lots of other good suggestion that I won’t repeat.
Especially in real sunny areas. I went to the dollar store and bought the cheap 3 ring binder, in the closest color, and took the three ring binder out. Then cut it to fit and used rubber bands to hold it on.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
I owned a 18 JLUR, then went to a truck, now back into a JLUR. Love it but I wish they'd fix some simple things and offer some things from Factory. Here's my top 10 from simple to more complex.

1. brighter LEDs in the interior. The lighting is terrible and an easy fix. $1-2 bucks maybe for brighter LEDS.
3. Auto UP windows. They have auto down already. Auto up exists in most of their product line. Not hard.
4. Wireless Apple Car Play vs having to plug in a wire. We have self driving car tech now, it can't be hard to cut the usb cord.
5. Something from the factory that prevents stuff from falling in between the seats into the abyss. I solved this with a $1 mod. Again, simple add.
6. Rear middle seat has ZERO support under it - just foam and fabric. I bought the mod from MetalCloak, but shouldn't have to.
8. Recessed power outlet in the tailgate compartment , or move it. When you plug something into it, currrent config makes the plug stick out and can be bashed.
9. Make the rear seats fold totally flat relative to the tailgate area. Toyota somehow figured this out with the 4Runner.
10. This one costs money. All things power connections. Put a second power outlet on right side of tail gate compartment area. Put plug-in easy power connection in rearview mirror stack to make dash cam, Radio, etc wiring less DIY. Add recessed power outlet connection to tray on top of dash, Add optional Overlanding power package: multi-plug-in-play power module panel (vs just one 12V outlet) in rear compartment so its less DIY to add accessories and less risk to wire poorly.

Many, many good suggestions but I'll stay with yours. As you know, there are two dials on the left side of the dash for adjusting the dash and dome lights, and floor lights. On my Sport without LEDs, I could never figure out what the floor light ring was for. Now with a Rubicon with LEDs, I can see the light adjusting on the floor. In the Sport, the nonLED wasn't bright enough to show this, even in the dark. I also don't get why Car Play is wired. You can play music by bluetooth without Car Play.

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4 Door, 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited X, 1978 Trans am

So coming from a Mechanical Engineer for an automotive supplier, a few of these are doable, a few are not. Generally when I say more cost below, this also means more validation testing, which can be $10s of thousands to $100s of thousands of dollars, all of this gets amortized into the part cost, which gets amortized into the vehicle cost, and obviously, the supplier needs to make money, as well as Jeep, so the cost to add an option will always increase exponentially.

1. Brighter LEDs mean more heat. This means you need a way to dissipate the heat. Also, there are federal regulations about the output of light on different locations in the vehicle. You can only go so bright without violating safety laws.
2. This is a lot more expensive to add than you think. To make it work with the entire electrical system in the jeep and turn on when you open it, you need different sensors, relays, fuses, etc that will all add cost.
3. Auto up requires a few more electrical components. Possible to add, but again, more cost.
4. Again, more testing, more components, more cost.
5. & 6. Eh, no comment.
7. The USB ports are exposed. They need to be in a location not easily accessible or covered, to prevent things from jamming in them and shorting things out.
8. Looking at that panel, the tooling on that panel will be very difficult if you recessed it. This will cause cost to be significantly increased.
9. The seat is virtually flat already. In my opinion, the 5 degree incline or however much it is, is insignificant to making it completely flat.
10. Again, this would increase cost significantly. More testing, more parts, more wiring etc.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Here’s one that not one person had mentioned. How about getting you’re new Jeep “without” any dents in the doors????? Every Jeep has dents in at least one to Two doors, primarily the drivers door. Go look at your Jeep, we all paid FCA for our Jeeps with dents in the doors coming from the factory.
Good timing on your post. Just this morning, I noticed a mild indentation on the sheet metal of the front passenger door, a bit aft of the lower hinge. A careful exam with eyes and hands revealed that it was just that...a small gentle concavity, not a ding, that was/is only noticeable if looking for it while standing forward of it. It's still an imperfection, though, on a vehicle that I still consider to be new.

Ah, well.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Good timing on your post. Just this morning, I noticed a mild indentation on the sheet metal of the front passenger door, a bit aft of the lower hinge. A careful exam with eyes and hands revealed that it was just that...a small gentle concavity, not a ding, that was/is only noticeable if looking for it while standing forward of it. It's still an imperfection, though, on a vehicle that I still consider to be new.

Ah, well.
Yes, you will see them at different angles and lighting. And to clarify, they are all by and around the hinges.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Agreed on brighter interior lighting and wireless CarPlay, plus two programming changes:
1. make engine temp gage vertical bar height actually linear (match the digital)
2. allow no-clutch in-gear 4L starts (i.e. make it actually work like the OM describes; right now the OM is wrong. Yep, I've had this confirmed by dealer and Jeep).

Otherwise I love it.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
  1. Allow the Sport model to be outfitted with more off-road options.
  2. Have the Sahara the SUV mall crawler model.
  3. Make power door locks standard across the Wrangler line up.
  4. Lose the folding front window.
  5. Get rid of the new models for each little minor cosmetic changes like Altitude, Freedom, etc. Let those be options.
  6. Allow owners to order more options for individual orders which would not be permitted for dealer stock orders. [custom = cool]
Sponsored