2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Personally, I'd rather a windshield that didn't fold forward. There's plenty of history that's been carried over the generations, so seeing an end to that one little thing wouldn't leave me crying myself to sleep. Plus, it looked and functioned much better on the original, which had a thinner and flat panel. It almost completely disappeared when folded forward, whereas the thicker curved panel looks kinda off and blocks ones view.
Just curious, why is the folding windshield an issue for you?

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
1. Offer 5.7 V8 (plenty upgrade for me)
2. Offer solid or removable full HT like my old TJ.
3. Xenon Headlights should be standard (safety issue)
4. Offer a third stereo system that performs better than the Alpine.
5. Offer a performance pkg that also reduces height about 3” for those who don’t go off road.
6. Offer V6 without Etorque for those who don’t want it!
7 - 10. Repeat as above, lol..

Cheers all/B
You can get the v6 without the ETorque. Just get the 6MT ;)

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I owned a 18 JLUR, then went to a truck, now back into a JLUR. Love it but I wish they'd fix some simple things and offer some things from Factory. Here's my top 10 from simple to more complex.

1. brighter LEDs in the interior. The lighting is terrible and an easy fix. $1-2 bucks maybe for brighter LEDS.
2. Tailgate compartment light. Yes you can add the Brawlee, but come on.
3. Auto UP windows. They have auto down already. Auto up exists in most of their product line. Not hard.
4. Wireless Apple Car Play vs having to plug in a wire. We have self driving car tech now, it can't be hard to cut the usb cord.
5. Something from the factory that prevents stuff from falling in between the seats into the abyss. I solved this with a $1 mod. Again, simple add.
6. Rear middle seat has ZERO support under it - just foam and fabric. I bought the mod from MORE, but shouldn't have to.
7. Get rid of the flip up cover over the media connections panel.
8. Recessed power outlet in the tailgate compartment , or move it. When you plug something into it, currrent config makes the plug stick out and can be bashed.
9. Make the rear seats fold totally flat relative to the tailgate area. Toyota somehow figured this out with the 4Runner.
10. This one costs money. All things power connections. Put a second power outlet on right side of tail gate compartment area. Put plug-in easy power connection in rearview mirror stack to make dash cam, Radio, etc wiring less DIY. Add recessed power outlet connection to tray on top of dash, Add optional Overlanding power package: multi-plug-in-play power module panel (vs just one 12V outlet) in rear compartment so its less DIY to add accessories and less risk to wire poorly.

Bonus: Lasers. Passenger ejection seat.
Some things I wish they had added now that I have had my 2020 JLUR for almost 18 months:

1. Keep the ESS off if the driver shut it off. Right now it resets when you turn off the Jeep. I know the Tazer can do that but still.

2. Bring out a manual transmission for the 2 liter turbo 4 and at least the 2.2 Liter Diesel as well (import models only). The turbo is a great engine and I can see there being a significant market for a Turbo with 6 speed manual specially in places like Europe and Asia where Manuals still dominate the market over automatics by a huge margin. Funny how the manuals are almost extinct in North America but are still the dominant transmission choice in most of EU, Asia and Africa. Traffic is much worst in those places than us here in USA or Canada.

3. Heaters for the LED Head and Tail Lamps. It does not bother me much as us folks in Long Island do not get much snow. But there are complaints from those who live in the American Snow Belt and Canada.

4. The 7th gear in the automatic is a tall one. Jeep does not go into 8th until beyond 70 MPH (113 KMPH). Tune it a little and allow it to go into 8th at 60 or 65 MPH (96 or 105 KMPH).

5. During Remote Start at under 37F (3c), the cabin fan turns on at full blast until you open the door. I'd rather not have that and let the Engine warm up quicker.

6. The higher center of gravity makes it a nightmare to drive on the highway in high winds.

7. Rumors suggest that both Apple and Samsung may go wireless when it comes to support for Apple Car Play and Android Auto in a year or two. Apple may even forgo wired support for Car Play completely. That is a big issue for me. Hoping there is a software update or hardware that a dealer can install to help us out with that. I travel for work and rely on my iPhone significantly for Google maps.

Things that Jeep does better than others:

1. Visibility in traffic. I have an 09 Civic Sedan also. When I need to make a left turn in busy traffic, I am able to see better in my Jeep (obviously).

2. The resale value: Wranglers hold their resale values second to only Toyotas in the market. Need I say more??

3. Reliability esp out of the Pentastar. In my eyes, the 3.6 Pentastar is probably the second most reliable engine made by FCA after the four liter six cylinder found in TJs and YJs. There are not many others out there who can do better than that. Maybe the Toyota V6 they use for Tacomas and 4Runners can match the reliability or the V8 they use in Tundras, Sequoias and Land Cruisers. But that is about it. As you can tell, I am a little biased in favour of Toyota so better I admit it cleanly.

4. The 8 speed automatic makes it a fun vehicle to drive. While others are going to boring CVTs, Jeep is staying traditional. This makes the Jeep a lot of fun to drive versus a modern day so called "SUV" that they call a Crossover.

5. Versatility. Wranglers and Gladiators can go on beaches, be driven in blinding blizzards (my experience) or go miles away from civilization without a hiccup. It is also a pleasure to drive on the Highways (esp the JL). It can do that for you with it's doors off and top off (maybe except for in a Blizzard). Give me one vehicle that is in market right now I can go buy and it can do all that for me. The love child of a Wrangler and an FJ Cruiser named Bronco does not count because that ugly thing is not available for delivery yet.

6. The Jeep "family". We wave to each other, compliment each other and are known for helping others out in a tough spot regardless of whether they are Jeepers or not. I myself was helped by strangers in a Jeep when my 2011 Pathfinder got stuck on the Beach Sand. No other brand gets you this. It is called humility and us Jeepers are known for having it the most.

7. For some reason, Wrangler/Gladiator owners tend to be some of the safest on road drivers out there (probably because we cannot drive too fast or make rash moves and in general know more about cars than the average driver). Off road, some of us can be recipient of the Darwin awards lmao!

8. The ability to put your rig in 4HI (or Lo) and be able to safely make a U Turn due to traffic blocked by a car crash or another reason. I myself have put my JLUR in 4Hi twice and crossed a concrete divider to made a U Turn because of a car crash shutting down a busy roadway. Both times, I asked an officer for permission. One of those two times, the cop guided me into making a U Turn by stopping opposing traffic. The second time it happened was at 2AM and the Cop only told me to go for it as there was no traffic coming in from the other side. Let me know if a Prius, a Civic or a Mustang can do that with a concrete divider in the way.

9. The oomf factor. Tell me it is a gas guzzler again and I will show you the 4xe. If you are still not satisfied, let me know how many people have you helped out in your Toyota Prius. One gets you good gas mileage and the other turns heads. Call me when your Prius gets stuck in the snow and the Tow Truck said it may take them 3 hours to get there.

Last edited:

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I don't really think it's necessarily a top 10, it really varies from people to people. What I think is that Jeeps are unlike any other vehicle in terms of how personalization is core to its dna. They're basically a giant lego, and I feel that FCA (or now Stellantis) still doesn't fully address it.
This level of customization should not only be made available from day one when you're ordering the vehicle, but also throughout its lifecycle (or while the model is produced). This goes from axles, suspensions, etc to things like infotainment or interior trims. We hear a lot of folks regretting not getting certain options or upgrades on their jeeps, which could easily be done by the dealers. A simple example is the upgrade of the connect 5" to a 7" or 8.4" - which they "can't" do, but also other things like upgrading your axles and having lockers on your sport, etc
It's not a stretch and people are willing to pay for that.

This could be taken even further like retrofitting newer compatible powertrains that weren't available on previous models (for example 4xe to a 2.0 JLU - they already share the same frame, engine and transmission). I find this non-stop allure to always buy/lease newer vehicles exhausting, especially as tech becomes obsolete faster than ever and mainstream electrification is around the corner.
I love my Jeep and plan keeping it long-term, but also know that eventually it will become obsolete; if I were given the choice, I would rather upgrade the necessary components and keep the same Jeep. This could be a win-win, people get what they want, and Stellantis keeps continuously making money on an existing vehicle. The jeep would be the perfect platform to try something like that.

I understand that they're planning to build this customization factory, and it might be that they address certain aspects of the aforementioned stuff - or at least I can always dream of it!

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The date is January 19th, 2021. What will people complain about today?
I came to the conclusion Jeep could build a Jeep with 600 HP, Dana 60’s, Atlas, 40’s ready to take on KOH with every conceivable option imaginable and within a week people would be complaining about it.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This is what comes to mind at the moment, and it's in no particular order.

1. Redesign the center dash display in Sport-level trims so that the upper halves of the Temperature and Fuel gauges are visible to all drivers. I have to dip my head and slouch a bit to view the entire needle range. Yes, I'm tall, but I'm hardly the only one.

2. Redesign and/or relocate the manual door locks to make them a bit easier to operate. Having them a bit more accessible when reaching in from the front to unlock either rear door on the JLU would be an improvement, also.

3. Replace all button/control icons with plain English text for North American market vehicles.

4. Add a bit more padding and recline angle to the rear seats on the JLU.

5. Replacing the headlight bulbs shouldn't require removing the grille, and/or the airbox. Add some underhood space sufficient to allow our hands to do the job there, without getting chewed up.

6. Fix the [really bad word] defrost function so that hot air exits across the full width of the dash-top vent!

7. Put the proximity fob on a starvation diet, and make the key removeable.

8. Exiting the driver's seat causes me to inadvertently depress the seat height adjustment lever with my thigh. This causes the seat to lower, which in turn requires that I raise it when I get back in. If there's a fix for this inconvenience, Stellantis, you have my blessing.

9. Raising and/or pushing the sound bar back by just 1.5" will go a long way in attenuating headroom issues for some of us.

And finally,

10. Lower the cost of entry, or at least force your dealers to deliver a purchase experience that is proportionate to the average selling price of a new JLU. Said differently: I shouldn't have felt like I was buying a Hyundai in 1989.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
  1. Half-doors with upper sliders
  2. Interior hood release
  3. Auto up power windows
  4. Rear view camera system
  5. Active headrests (yeah yeah, head restraints) or headrests that are not angled so far forward. These stock headrests were designed by lawyers.
  6. Modular hard top
  7. Security alarm
  8. Locking fuel filler door
  9. USB power ports in dashboard and base of rearview mirror
  10. Rain gutters that function properly

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I owned a 18 JLUR, then went to a truck, now back into a JLUR. Love it but I wish they'd fix some simple things and offer some things from Factory. Here's my top 10 from simple to more complex.

1. brighter LEDs in the interior. The lighting is terrible and an easy fix. $1-2 bucks maybe for brighter LEDS.
2. Tailgate compartment light. Yes you can add the Brawlee, but come on.
3. Auto UP windows. They have auto down already. Auto up exists in most of their product line. Not hard.
4. Wireless Apple Car Play vs having to plug in a wire. We have self driving car tech now, it can't be hard to cut the usb cord.
5. Something from the factory that prevents stuff from falling in between the seats into the abyss. I solved this with a $1 mod. Again, simple add.
6. Rear middle seat has ZERO support under it - just foam and fabric. I bought the mod from MetalCloak, but shouldn't have to.
7. Get rid of the flip up cover over the media connections panel.
8. Recessed power outlet in the tailgate compartment , or move it. When you plug something into it, currrent config makes the plug stick out and can be bashed.
9. Make the rear seats fold totally flat relative to the tailgate area. Toyota somehow figured this out with the 4Runner.
10. This one costs money. All things power connections. Put a second power outlet on right side of tail gate compartment area. Put plug-in easy power connection in rearview mirror stack to make dash cam, Radio, etc wiring less DIY. Add recessed power outlet connection to tray on top of dash, Add optional Overlanding power package: multi-plug-in-play power module panel (vs just one 12V outlet) in rear compartment so its less DIY to add accessories and less risk to wire poorly.

Bonus: Lasers. Passenger ejection seat.
Get the damn subwoofer off the floor of the cargo area. I have found the resonance of every grocery item I've ever bought, and found a place to put a bunch of sand and dirt. What a dumb idea for an off-road vehicle.

Also - heat seaters that are activated according to inside temperature, not outside temperature.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I came to the conclusion Jeep could build a Jeep with 600 HP, Dana 60’s, Atlas, 40’s ready to take on KOH with every conceivable option imaginable and within a week people would be complaining about it.
You give them a week? Generous. I can hear the idiot choruses singing the praises of this peak off road model now:
"IT GETS HORRIBLE MPG"
"STEREO ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH"
"IT'S TOO HIGH- I DON'T GO OFF ROAD I DON'T NEED THE GROUND CLEARANCE"
"IT COST MORE THAN A CJ2-A; TOO EXPENSIVE"
"IT HAS AN AUTOMATIC TRANS- TOO MILLENIAL"
"IT HAS A MANUAL TRANS- CAN'T DRIVE OFF ROAD"

This is truly the purpose, and pinnacle of the internet, folks. </sarcasm>
Sponsored