Sponsored

Top 10 things Jeep should have done WITHOUT.

Deleted member 59498

#3 Auto Window - Hate the fact that the window won't
automatically go up.

Ok yep! Forgot that pet peeve! HUGE, you can auto down but then auto up is like breaking light speed or something?
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
While several of these are designed to help meet EPA mandates and CAFE standards, I still do not like them...

1, FAD. How about locking hubs?
2, ESS.
3, Thin aluminum doors complete with 'dimples' at the hinges.
4, Paper thin windshields that crack if a large bug hits them.
5, 33" tires...Especially on the 392. Really??
6, Thiner fiberglass hardtops than even the JK's...You could put half a dozen cheerleaders on the
fiberglass roof of my first Blazer...Ask me how I know :)
7, Folding rear seats on the 2-door that do not have a latch to lock them in the folded position.
8, Motorcycle-sized gas tanks, especially on the 2-door.
9, So-called 'subwoofer' in the center of the rear cargo floor on 2-doors with premium audio.
10, I know it's cool, but at least make the folding windshield an option for those who want it and
are willing to pay for it. I would much rather have a windshield I did not have to fix myself to
eliminate wind noise.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I respect your dislike of ESS Aldo. But to have done away with it would have significantly raised the cost of the rig in EPA penalties payed by FCA and charged back to buyers, allowing for less rather than more features at any price point.

Better design ESS, even debate its efficacy....certainly valid.
Problem with the US is we implement things half-ass. ESS has been in use in other countries for years. In THOSE countries, the stop light turns yellow before green so you have time to get off the brake and let the engine start before the green light.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Problem with the US is we implement things half-ass. ESS has been in use in other countries for years. In THOSE countries, the stop light turns yellow before green so you have time to get off the brake and let the engine start before the green light.
That would not matter. The issue I have with ESS is engine wear at start up. A simple trip to the store used to have two start up cycles. Now with ESS, the same trip has 8. It’s not a half assed implementation, it’s a half assed logic to save a couple of drips of fuel. I get that a couple of drips across the National fleet would account for 1000‘s of gallons. But at the cost of engine longevity... no thank you.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would not matter. The issue I have with ESS is engine wear at start up. A simple trip to the store used to have two start up cycles. Now with ESS, the same trip has 8. It’s not a half assed implementation, it’s a half assed logic to save a couple of drips of fuel. I get that a couple of drips across the National fleet would account for 1000‘s of gallons. But at the cost of engine longevity... no thank you.
I totally agree it's a bad system, but lack of infrastructure upgrades makes it even more miserable to live with.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Someone else mentioned and seems valid, the effort and resources of maintaining the fold down windshield could probably be better used elsewhere to a bigger variety of users.

I could be wrong, but a lot of users still take their tops off. Some still take their doors off, very very few fold down the windshield.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I enjoyed reading this recent thread:

Top 10 things Jeep should have done

We as Wrangler owners are a smart and involved bunch; and that's good.

Pretend you're an FCA exec looking to control costs. What features would you get rid of, or maybe make optional so as to allow the addition of some of the stuff of the previously linked post?

A quick anecdote:

One of my favorite professors (he taught programming languages), always concerned about making his class better each semester, would ask students at a class' conclusion to write down topics they wish he had covered but didn't. Almost instantly students took pen to paper if not for him interjecting, "but....tell me what subjects I should remove from the curriculum to find time to teach the things you wish to learn about."

The guy was the "energizer bunny:" meaning there was, and everyone knew it, no wasted time in class to add more without dropping
something. Still more, the things he covered simply needed to be. Far fewer students knew then what to constructively say.

~~~~~~~~~~

Auto makers spend a lot of time figuring out what the most number of people want (in their brand), and what makes them the highest margins as profit, not pleasing customers, is the end game. This by no means implies that FCA doesn't care about customer feedback or is heartless, just that profit is--as its executives are mandated by shareholders to do--the goal, and pleasing customers the means to get there.

Every vehicle feature impacts what we pay. To include it with the model risks losing customers whose price point just got surpassed, or who aren't going to pay for something they don't want. To make it optional, or worse to not offer it at all infuriates some that such features aren't standard/available. And despite a rich aftermarket second to no other, nobody, for example, would ever sell "aftermarket rear air bags" and similar products that simply must be part of the original build.

Now sure, some will somewhat comedically (and quite possibly seriously) say "doors," or "tires," knowing that they don't use the former, and will only upgrade the latter. But good suggestions weigh not simply what you want, but what makes sense to FCA, appealing to a broader market base.

Thoughts? :)
This is an excellent question and actually better than the one I posed in the "10 Things Jeep Should have done question."

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
This is an excellent question and actually better than the one I posed in the "10 Things Jeep Should have done question."
Yeah, but most of the things we're bitchin about on this thread aren't features to remove, more stuff we want better, I hate having carpet but it's not like Jeep markets carpet as a feature!

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Your question was excellent Mark. This thread merely supplements it..looks at the problem from a different angle that likely wouldn't have been contemplated had your question not come first....

Peace brother :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I appreciate this point Rick, especially since vehicle implementations of ESS crank the engine with different speeds.

That said, my Sahara cranks faster than I've ever needed. Have you had a different experience? :)

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate this point Rick, especially since vehicle implementations of ESS crank the engine with different speeds.

That said, my Sahara cranks faster than I've ever needed. Have you had a different experience? :)
Did you get the eTorque option? I've only driven the 2-door with the eTorque V-6 and it was fine. Ordered a 4xe so it should not be a problem in my case. I've ridden in a Mercedes that was slow to start at every light.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A warranty that doesn't support the aftermarket that has been supporting it.
Classic Mike...nail on the head

look...I get that FCA can't be responsible for bad things that happens to rigs from the installation of crap accessories whose quality they don't control...

..but on the other hand FCA has ability to move product in large part because of this very aftermarket--many, (most?) of whose products are better quality at lower price, and allows owners to buy their Wranglers and customize them in the same way a woodworker like me buys stock at a big box store and subjects it to sanding and shaping.

Perhaps--as I hope to keep my comments critical of FCA but fair--there can be some middle ground here as vendors subject their wares to some, I don't know, "FCA certification program" that allows the proper installation of such add ons to be covered. I would not expect FCA to run such a program at a financial loss, but NOT huge profit.

If the FCA Wrangler customization plant I've read about here comes to fruition I don't know if FCA is going to limit such add ons to only MOPAR branded ones or recognize that the profitability of selling after market wares as part of the Monroney sticker items at purchase, and covering them after sale, proves a better model.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
ESS: I look at it this way.

The cost to defeat it, for those who don't want to use it...

from something as simple as pushing the button to turn it off, to user hacks: some of which cause idiot lights in the dash to fire, to--at the most expensive end--tech to disable it....

is 1/10th of what we'd have to additionally pay for the rig if FCA had to pay the penalties to the EPA for not having ESS: a cost they'd have to pass along in part to us.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Classic Mike...nail on the head

look...I get that FCA can't be responsible for bad things that happens to rigs from the installation of crap accessories whose quality they don't control...

..but on the other hand FCA has ability to move product in large part because of this very aftermarket--many, (most?) of whose products are better quality at lower price, and allows owners to buy their Wranglers and customize them in the same way a woodworker like me buys stock at a big box store and subjects it to sanding and shaping.

Perhaps--as I hope to keep my comments critical of FCA but fair--there can be some middle ground here as vendors subject their wares to some, I don't know, "FCA certification program" that allows the proper installation of such add ons to be covered. I would not expect FCA to run such a program at a financial loss, but NOT huge profit.

If the FCA Wrangler customization plant I've read about here comes to fruition I don't know if FCA is going to limit such add ons to only MOPAR branded ones or recognize that the profitability of selling after market wares as part of the Monroney sticker items at purchase, and covering them after sale, proves a better model.
You're right. I should have backed up what I said by explaining that the warranty shouldn't shun Jeeps that were done correctly and completely. Especially, considering that the lift that carries their own name is a bit lacking.

The extent of my mods were interfering with my getting the steering box tsb. After numerous dealer rejections, I finally found a service writer that was willing to at least look at the Jeep. She wasn't mechanically savvy, but she was able to get the manager out for a look. It took a lot of kneeling in the parking lot, my explaining of my mechanical experience, and a promise to not marry them to it if the box didn't help before he allowed the job to go through his shop.
Sponsored