Sponsored

Top 10 things Jeep should have done WITHOUT.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Yes the same guy who in the 80's who ( when Chrysler was on the ropes) told Lee to shove it when approached about a commercial about the USA.

The same guy who hates ICE and gas powered cars. Very dumb on Jeeps part, the woke crap going on isnt going over too well. People should let Jeep marketing know they dont appreciate a liberal elite being marketing spokes person!
Wonder if Jeep realizes that the side they support is the same side that will not let them sell any of their vehicles other than the 4xe in less than 15 years in CA and (probably) other states.
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Because i'm selfish and love the look of frameless doors :)

To me the look of half doors and roof off is fantastic and gives the Jeep a very sleek, clean look front to back.
Oh you 100% are correct with that. Half doors and no roof was great with my YJ. Those half doors though... i use to hafta run my finger around the edge of the soft part to unfreeze the gasket. I guess that is why half doors are an expensive option haha

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Clearly, it's a good problem for Stellantis to have, but such broad appeal of the Wrangler by so many different types of owners is bound to make some features curses for some owners and blessings/all but mandatory for others.

Take proximity locks, or rear air bags. A portion of the Wrangler owning segment doesn't even want these as available options if it's going to drive the price of their rig up, let alone if they're provided as standard features.

And yet another segment of the Wrangler market looks at the absence of these features, in fact rear air bags not even an available option, and makes no less a legitimate cry that other manufacturers couldn't sell a single unit if they didn't make these things standard.

Then again, these more feature rich vehicle alternatives don't spend on the base features where the rubber hits the road like Wrangler. Their smaller market's wish list is much more honed, making what to include/exclude/offer as options easier.

There are those features though that if eliminated, would make all Wrangler's cheaper, and disenfranchise few, like drop down windshields. The problem may be that to pour that savings into other gear, seen as mandatory in other rigs, risks disenfranchising the hard core owner: from power windows door locks to A/C.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
1. draining the roof water on too the lap of the front passengers
2. auto break alert that goes off at random times, yet when i have actually come close to an object in front of me did nothing.
3. Auto High Beams that are always off
4. A flimsy junk steering box
5. High Failure rate sensors in the transmission
6. Cheap USB and Power Electrical system in dash that has broken twice
7. Faulty Water pump with high failure rate
8. Noisy 4cyl turbo engine
9. Speed of 18 miles an hour on disconnected sway bar
10. Rear USB connection to Nav system, when kids plug in there tablets, system gets confused on which device to use, and sends repeated messges

My jeep is getting bought back.. that was cathartic thank you!

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It could be worse. I have a 2020 ford explorer for my work vehicle. The radio is horrible. The whole car is horrible. Yes I mean car. That thing is a station wagon with a lawnmower engine and a radio designed by Chinese “injunears” while they laugh and call us stupid Americans.
I suspect that Chinese engineers can design a fabulous radio, just not for the amount of money that Ford is willing to pay them.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I agree with many, for me these are my biggies

- ESS, get rid of this overly complex PITA and its crazy battery configuration
- ETorque, get rid of this overly complex PITA and its crazy battery configuration
- Pentastar V6, keep the Hurricane 4, the diesel, and the hybrid if you must.
- Transfer case lever. Either move it out of my damn knee, or make it a switch.
- The SkyTop, make it a MyTop instead.

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Copied directly from a longer post that compared the JK to the JL because I continue to despise the JL Soft top design....

I hate the new soft top. I have both hard top and soft top.... To be clear, I do appreciate the new mechanism to slide it open and close... that is nice. But I have 2 complaints. 1st, is the new pin system. If you knew how to use the old zipper system.. it was NOT hard to use. Quirky perhaps... but I never had issues with any of mine. However, 2nd, and the real problem with the new soft top that takes away from the ease of dropping down or folding up is the molded side panels and back window.

EVERY jeep I ever had, I always rolled up the back window and fastened with my loops to get good air flow. But also, since you could roll up the window, you didn't have to remove it to drop the top. When I wanted to drop my top, my panels came out easy and could be stored below the carpet in the back cargo area. This is because they could be placed flat and take no space, so you didn't lose cargo area because of the panels. You could drop the top regardless of where you were or what you had in your jeep no matter the place or time because the back window and panels all fit nicely and had a place to be stored easily in the JEEP.

With the new side panels - they are molded at the corner, so they can't lay flat. When you remove they take up way more space then they ever used to. Additionally, a back window now needs to be fully removed before you can drop the top. So you can no longer simply roll up the back window and just deal with the panels. This means you either have to plan for removing the soft top leaving pieces at home or find some way to store the bulky panels and back window that can no longer be tucked below the carpet and rolled up.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Copied directly from a longer post that compared the JK to the JL because I continue to despise the JL Soft top design....

I hate the new soft top. I have both hard top and soft top.... To be clear, I do appreciate the new mechanism to slide it open and close... that is nice. But I have 2 complaints. 1st, is the new pin system. If you knew how to use the old zipper system.. it was NOT hard to use. Quirky perhaps... but I never had issues with any of mine. However, 2nd, and the real problem with the new soft top that takes away from the ease of dropping down or folding up is the molded side panels and back window.

EVERY jeep I ever had, I always rolled up the back window and fastened with my loops to get good air flow. But also, since you could roll up the window, you didn't have to remove it to drop the top. When I wanted to drop my top, my panels came out easy and could be stored below the carpet in the back cargo area. This is because they could be placed flat and take no space, so you didn't lose cargo area because of the panels. You could drop the top regardless of where you were or what you had in your jeep no matter the place or time because the back window and panels all fit nicely and had a place to be stored easily in the JEEP.

With the new side panels - they are molded at the corner, so they can't lay flat. When you remove they take up way more space then they ever used to. Additionally, a back window now needs to be fully removed before you can drop the top. So you can no longer simply roll up the back window and just deal with the panels. This means you either have to plan for removing the soft top leaving pieces at home or find some way to store the bulky panels and back window that can no longer be tucked below the carpet and rolled up.
:clap::clap::clap: THANKS! I forgot this one. My solution is a MyTop (being installed today actually) but that is an expensive answer to what should have never of been a problem.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
1. Should have gotten rid of options being restricted to certain trims. These are JEEPS let people customize it exactly how they want it.
2. ESS - Too dang hot in Texas to have my cool air shut off at stop lights! I turn it off at startup without thinking about it, but still..
3. ??? I really don't have many complaints hah.
Agree with A/C point, living in Phoenix plus ESS doesn’t do any good unless the engine is off for 20-30 seconds or more. It kills batteries. Even with two batteries, the main battery in my last Wrangler didn’t last long. Turning A/C on and off is more of a strain. As said above, turn it off.

Sponsored

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Involving Bruce Springsteen in a commercial about “unity”.
I had no issue with the general message of the commercial, but would have been a heck of alot more credible if they’d had Ted Nugent riding shotgun with Bruce or Kid Rock rolling along-side in a 392... huge missed opportunity by Jeep’s ad dept to show that they understand that ‘unity’ has to involve actions and partnership, not just use of the word.

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Power windows down but not up... really
Window rain rail improvement

Wimsurf

First Name
Wim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep grand wagoneer, 1987 jeep CJ7
  • ESS ( i have had it on multiple cars over here, Audi had the nicest implementation: if I pushed the brake in at a stoplight just enough to keep the car standing still, it would not engage, if I pushed it deeper, it would. nor would it when the ACC was on during a hot day, mercedes did not do that and I had to replace the starter motor every year while making 20K miles a year)
  • powerwindow auto up missing!
  • Drip rail design on the hardtop, it rains a lot over here and I get a lot of water on the carpets, and seats when I open the door. my grand wagoneer even has better design and that's from the 60's
  • fold down windhield
  • packages: just make a base JL, and make every option possible, do not package them, or at least not mandatory. maybe I want LED headlights, but no auto park, and no big navigation screen.

Mgdstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X, 2007 & 2008 Sahara Unlimited
Wonder if Jeep realizes that the side they support is the same side that will not let them sell any of their vehicles other than the 4xe in less than 15 years in CA and (probably) other states.

Wasn't he the singer that wrote the song "I wish I was born in a communist country"?
Sponsored