Sponsored

Tools: what brand

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
When I was a teen going into trade school in the 2000’s, I decided to assemble my kit with Craftsman instead of the recommended (sales pitch) Snap-On. With the kit I’ve had for years, I’ve been happy with what I’ve had. Though, now that I’m looking to expand my box, I’ve found out that post Sears craftsman isn’t what it used to be (chinesium).

What is everyone using for hand tools? I really don’t want to buy Chinese crap that’s going to break every time I do a project, but don’t need professional grade tools with the associated expense (Snap-On/ Mac/ Matco). I needed a 30” 1/2” drive breaker bar, and was surprised to see premium brands selling them for $150, and the cheap crap going for $35 with nothing in between. Is there any mid range brand of tools anymore that isn’t one time use trash?
Sponsored

Sponsored

dr.dirty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ecodiesel Sport
I use Snap On 99% of the time. I have bought a bunch of gear wrench tools for the Jeeps and the RV and I will say some are just as nice quality if not better than some of my Snap on stuff.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The best you can afford.
Nailed it. I've had a standard Stanley socket toolkit for 15 years, no problems. DeWalt impact driver, no problems.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I have some Snap On, most of them I purchased through a government auction in one of those GMTK kits. But I would say half of my stuff is old Craftsman or Harbor Freight specials (often modified). Nothing but the best for our million dollar helicopters :rock:

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I have a mix of Craftsman, Husky, Kolbalt and even Harbor Freight. If I were a mechanic by trade and used my tools on the daily I'd probably opt for higher dollar stuff. But what I have does just fine. In fact my Harbor Freight torque wrenches have lasted for years. I had a high dollar Craftsman one years ago and it failed after a few years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tekton is a winner. I bought a few random pieces to try them out before ordering whole sets. The sockets have a much higher finish quality, far more internal reinforcement, radiused corners, and chamfered ends compared to my 2000’s era US made craftsman. Right price too, about double what chinesium is going for, but still half of snap-on....and made just down the road from me.

Craftsman on top, Tekton on bottom. Thicker sidewalls, and a lot of beef added to the interior between the drive section and working end. A good bit heavier too from the added material.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tools: what brand jaZuMoBl

Jeep Wrangler JL Tools: what brand 6LN4p5Pl

FiyXSkCl.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Before you get too patriotic, not all of their tools are US made. Some are still from the Far East, but they indicate the country of origin on the website so you you’ll know if you’re one of those consumers where that matters to you. I’ve got a few and they’ve all been quality pieces that I don’t have any problems with.

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before you get too patriotic, not all of their tools are US made. Some are still from the Far East, but they indicate the country of origin on the website so you you’ll know if you’re one of those consumers where that matters to you. I’ve got a few and they’ve all been quality pieces that I don’t have any problems with.
As long as they’re quality. Design and construction look better than what I had before. Torque will tell if the steel used is any good. I’m dropping my front axle this week, so we’ll see.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I used the cheaper box store brands from age 15 to age 50, or thereabouts, including Husky, Kobalt, Stanley, Harbor Freight, and others. They "worked", for the most part. But it wasn't uncommon at all to break a tool, or have to replace a tool because it just didn't work that well, or to have to replace bolts or nuts that were rounded off by poorer quality tools.

Ten years ago I paid for my son to go to mechanics school, and he was able to get a set of Matco tools for half price with his college discount. That was my first introduction to better quality tools. I could easily see the difference in quality, and ended up buying a nice big tool box for my home garage, and outfitted it with a combination of tools, mostly from Matco, and Snap On, but also Tekton, Rigid, Chanellock, and Dewalt power tools. I must say that the new tools are so much better than the old tools, that there really is no comparison. I absolutely enjoy working on a piece of equipment or a vehicle now. I know I have the right tool, and that it will work well, and that it will last practically forever. I should have upgraded tools decades ago.

So my vote is to go with the better quality tools. If you really want a mid-price point tool that is good quality, then I agree with what has been said about Tekton. They are clearly better quality than most box store brands.

Last edited: