AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What tools are you taking on the trail? I’m trying to avoid unnecessary items and keep it lite. If there is an existing thread I apologize.
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
What tools are you taking on the trail? I’m trying to avoid unnecessary items and keep it lite. If there is an existing thread I apologize.
Here's a couple good starts... not only for the trail, but tools to have in general.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/emergency-tool-kit.20607/#post-498289
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/set-of-tools-which-one.20899/#post-504604

I should also add... if you don't have a CB, a walkie-talkie is good to have. There are many other less-expensive units, but I use this guy > > >

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-X-TA...efix=Midland+-+X-TALKER+T77VP5,aps,217&sr=8-4

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Here's what you SHOULD CARRY., if you go into the BOONIES--ALONE !

035.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

You should have ENGINE OIL/COOLANT/XFER CASE FLUID/TRANNY FLUID IF YOU HAVE A STICK/WATER/paper towels/towels DUCT TAPE !-

You shouldn't carry a spare FOB--to dangerous--just keep your FOB on a CARBINER, that's how I keep all my vehicles (4) FOBs and they are color keyed

Of course that's WAY TO MUCH CRAP--but you can't just take a LUNCHBAG OF TOOLS and fix ANYTHING---

You will try to carry JUST enough, depending on the length/REMOTE of your trips--

I also have several WINCH'S/COMEALONG and PARAPHENAL-

ALTHOUGH--I'M SLOWING DOWN because of age--I've been doing this since 1960 and I drove my first jeep in 1954 !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

035.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

You should have ENGINE OIL/COOLANT/XFER CASE FLUID/TRANNY FLUID IF YOU HAVE A STICK/WATER/paper towels/towels DUCT TAPE !-

You shouldn't carry a spare FOB--to dangerous--just keep your FOB on a CARBINER, that's how I keep all my vehicles (4) FOBs and they are color keyed

Of course that's WAY TO MUCH CRAP--but you can't just take a LUNCHBAG OF TOOLS and fix ANYTHING---

You will try to carry JUST enough, depending on the length/REMOTE of your trips--

ALTHOUGH--I'M SLOWING DOWN because of age--I've been doing this since 1960 and I drove my first jeep in 1954 !

W.E.

JIMBO
I used to carry a load out like that and for long trips I will carry most of what you have. Right now I’m looking to put together a basic kit with at least all the right sockets and wrenches etcetera to do basic trail maintenance.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

035.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO
Cripes Allmighty, Jimbo! That pile is bigger than your first Jeep. :beer:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Assuming your "kit" is sufficient and your McGiver skills are up to the job, you should still let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back.

Water, food, and a PLB. If you're truly going where there is not another vehicle likely to come along that day and you can't walk out.

If you break down or get stuck for long, water and food will keep you going. The PLB will notify a rescue agency or email your home/friend, depending on your device features/service.

I took my Jeep, for its first time, out in some pretty remote areas near the borders of OR, NV, and ID a month ago now. I didn't have a PLB, but we did have cell phones. Some places you'd have to climb a big hill or mountain to get signal. We were in pretty remote high desert. We didn't see another vehicle until we got back nearly to the paved road. Probably 30 miles in from pavement. Some of the trail we were on was untraveled by others long enough that there was no sign in recent years.

My kit is pretty small and not adequate. It contained a small compressor and plug kit, recovery straps, chains, a few hand tools, baling wire, duct tape, gloves. But it has since gained a shovel, axe and pintal bar.

045ca037-3ba3-4c8c-a0ab-05be3295c0dd_1.4d28ecab677cf3311d6bc180a5daebd2.jpeg

shopping.jpeg

0a2bf89c-3035-4e86-ab9d-37c8bf37f1c6.jpeg

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

035.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO
Where’s the shotgun?

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming your "kit" is sufficient and your McGiver skills are up to the job, you should still let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back.

Water, food, and a PLB. If you're truly going where there is not another vehicle likely to come along that day and you can't walk out.

If you break down or get stuck for long, water and food will keep you going. The PLB will notify a rescue agency or email your home/friend, depending on your device features/service.

I took my Jeep, for its first time, out in some pretty remote areas near the borders of OR, NV, and ID a month ago now. I didn't have a PLB, but we did have cell phones. Some places you'd have to climb a big hill or mountain to get signal. We were in pretty remote high desert. We didn't see another vehicle until we got back nearly to the paved road. Probably 30 miles in from pavement. Some of the trail we were on was untraveled by others long enough that there was no sign in recent years.

My kit is pretty small and not adequate. It contained a small compressor and plug kit, recovery straps, chains, a few hand tools, baling wire, duct tape, gloves. But it has since gained a shovel, axe and pintal bar.

045ca037-3ba3-4c8c-a0ab-05be3295c0dd_1.4d28ecab677cf3311d6bc180a5daebd2.jpeg

shopping.jpeg

0a2bf89c-3035-4e86-ab9d-37c8bf37f1c6.jpeg
I also carry a water filter and collapsible water bottle. I toss one of those emergency rations from Walmart in for good measure. They last for 5 years give or take.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I don't carry a shotgun, especially in the Ca./SIERRAS, but in Nevada I carry one of my 1911's

11-21-10061.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO
I wish MD would allow this.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well, I don't carry a shotgun, especially in the Ca./SIERRAS, but in Nevada I carry one of my 1911's

11-21-10061.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO
Another 1911 man. Still have my first one, a 70 series NM Gold Cup, I bought new about 40+ years ago now. I recently built up a really tricked out one in 9mm for the wife. I also bought a Wilson Classic. Both are incredibly accurate.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0