Tool assortment

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So in building my first tool go bag for my jeep, wanted some input on what sizes etc....I can't bring all of them so looking for pointers please....also, once I get these items in place, what are you putting them in to carry (i was thinking a large canvas plumbers bag) and where are you putting all this plunder? Keeping in mind, I'm in the JL. thanks
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
So in building my first tool go bag for my jeep, wanted some input on what sizes etc...
I have a slightly different opinion- I think you can reasonably carry a pretty big set of mechanics tools. I went on a pretty remote trip recently so I packed a set of tools to go with me. My idea was to buy a set of wrenches and sockets from HomeDepot/Lowes/HarborFreight. Then I realized that in just a few weeks these kinds of tool sets would be severely discounted so instead I packed up my mechanic tools from the garage. I took an assortment of sockets in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, plus ratchets, extensions and breakover bar. I took a set of metric wrenches, various screwdrivers, pliers, and a hammer. I bought a roll-up tool bag from ebay and it worked well. This is a bag with 5 zipper pockets that rolls up into a surprisingly small package. Until I got it I didn't realize that it wouldn't hold real long items so the hammer, longer wrenches and so forth went into another bag, a normal backpacking stuff sack. These easily fit in the storage spot under the back floor along with tow strap and jumper cables. Bags like this are soft and pliable so they can be manipulated to fit into various random spaces.
Now getting close to thanksgiving I'm tracking $99 tool sets from Home Depot and Lowes trying to decide which one to buy. I would take out the metric tools to put in the Jeep and not carry the SAE tools.
I didn't carry any allen wrenches or torx, maybe I should carry those as well.
Also in the Jeep I carry a small shovel, small Harbor Freight 4 ton bottle jack, and an Imazing Lithium jump starter.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have a slightly different opinion- I think you can reasonably carry a pretty big set of mechanics tools. I went on a pretty remote trip recently so I packed a set of tools to go with me. My idea was to buy a set of wrenches and sockets from HomeDepot/Lowes/HarborFreight. Then I realized that in just a few weeks these kinds of tool sets would be severely discounted so instead I packed up my mechanic tools from the garage. I took an assortment of sockets in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, plus ratchets, extensions and breakover bar. I took a set of metric wrenches, various screwdrivers, pliers, and a hammer. I bought a roll-up tool bag from ebay and it worked well. This is a bag with 5 zipper pockets that rolls up into a surprisingly small package. Until I got it I didn't realize that it wouldn't hold real long items so the hammer, longer wrenches and so forth went into another bag, a normal backpacking stuff sack. These easily fit in the storage spot under the back floor along with tow strap and jumper cables. Bags like this are soft and pliable so they can be manipulated to fit into various random spaces.
Now getting close to thanksgiving I'm tracking $99 tool sets from Home Depot and Lowes trying to decide which one to buy. I would take out the metric tools to put in the Jeep and not carry the SAE tools.
I didn't carry any allen wrenches or torx, maybe I should carry those as well.
Also in the Jeep I carry a small shovel, small Harbor Freight 4 ton bottle jack, and an Imazing Lithium jump starter.
Appreciate you taking the time to elaborate

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate you taking the time to elaborate
I'm sorry I couldn't answer the question directly. I haven't worked on the Jeep enough to know what the most common sizes are. I just threw in all of the metric sizes I had from about 6mm on up. Maybe someone else can tell us if it is worthwhile to carry allen wrenches or torx bits.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm sorry I couldn't answer the question directly. I haven't worked on the Jeep enough to know what the most common sizes are. I just threw in all of the metric sizes I had from about 6mm on up. Maybe someone else can tell us if it is worthwhile to carry allen wrenches or torx bits.
if that came off sarcastic i apologize, i meant that, the guy before you gave me humor, so constructive answers all help, appreciated.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
What txj2go said is almost exactly what I have. The roll up zipper pouch tool bag fits snuggly underneath the rear seats. You wouldn't even know it's there. Made in USA Atlas 46.

0701211326a.jpg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if that came off sarcastic...
no problem, I did not take it as sarcastic.

What txj2go said is almost exactly what I have. The roll up zipper pouch tool bag fits snuggly underneath the rear seats. You wouldn't even know it's there. Made in USA Atlas 46.
0701211326a.jpg
That looks similar to what I bought, there are a lot of those on ebay for cheap prices. And you can stuff a surprising amount of tools it in and still roll it up in a compact package. I put 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" metric sockets in it, mostly shallow but some metric 1/4" and 3/8" deep sockets, plus screwdrivers, smaller wrenches, pliers and smaller ratchets in it and still had more room. The longer wrenches, ratchets, extensions and hammer went into a separate cloth sack which still wasn't very big.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You definitely need a set of torx bits, there are torx fasteners all over the Jeep. You can’t even take off the engine cover without it.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I guess there's three types of people; light, medium, and extreme. I'm more on the extreme side and carry a lot of tools I'll probably never need but possibly someone else will.

Also, they are all duplicates of ones I have in my shop already so I might as well carry them in the Jeep.

I've posted this on a couple of other threads but recently updated it so I will post it again here. I carry a laminated copy in the Jeep because sometimes I can't remember where something is or what all I carry. I agree with the tool rolls as I have three of them. The Atlas one for my major tools and two others for various other items.

FYI all my stuff weighs around 250 pounds so if weight is something you're watching be aware that tools add up quick.

Attachments

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess there's three types of people; light, medium, and extreme. I'm more on the extreme side and carry a lot of tools I'll probably never need but possibly someone else will.
My problem is that if I had to do major suspension work on the Jeep in a remote place then that would take the big and heavy stuff that I might not have along. The average 200+ piece mechanics tool kit may not have enough parts for that. I changed springs, shocks and LCA on my Jeep but I don't remember all the sizes that took. I probably need to check all of those sizes and be sure I have them along too.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

Also, they are all duplicates of ones I have in my shop already so I might as well carry them in the Jeep.

I've posted this on a couple of other threads but recently updated it so I will post it again here. I carry a laminated copy in the Jeep because sometimes I can't remember where something is or what all I carry. I agree with the tool rolls as I have three of them. The Atlas one for my major tools and two others for various other items.

FYI all my stuff weighs around 250 pounds so if weight is something you're watching be aware that tools add up quick.
Ironic you mention weight, I realized on my way home that I can't choose by what I need alone, I'll be way over my 700lbs...hellllll, me, the wife and dog cover 450 ish, so I'll keep that in mind since we all need water.....hmmmmm, rock, paper scissors for who gets to eat that day? On a serious note, thanks for the input, I think I've got a good picture on what I'm doing now...good news is, I have the tools, mostly, so need a few roll ups and I'll be cookin, thanks again

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

250 lbs? Geez...how much does the orange thing weigh?

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you are talking about the FAK it only weighs around 5 pounds. If you are talking about the "Recovery Kit" it's around 23 pounds. I admit it's a bit much but everyone needs a hobby :like: