Sponsored

Took the 4xe on its first road trip and the gas milage was a shock

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
aight so it just needs a battery pack that weighs 1/4th the current one.. then its all good.

Joke aside, thank you for explaining the workings in detail.. learnt something today
Actually a 4xe with maybe half the battery and 2 or 3 more gallons added to the tank would be an awesome road trip Jeep. The good thing about the 4xe on the highway is thatā€™s it got plenty of passing power.
Sponsored

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
2023 4xe with 37s and 1200 miles on the odo. Left town with almost a full tank and 100 charge. Hit the freeway, set cruise to 81 and watched the "needle" drop like a rock. 140 miles later (with a big head wind) and we were well under 1/4 tank and averaging just over 10 mpg. 14.1 gallons later and we were back at it. Can't remember if I reset the trip at that point, but I think so. 11.2 miles to gallon later we were on red for our next stop (still at 81 mph). Filled "Earl" up again and were back at it. this time it was 70 and under to our destination miles away and on our third tank of gas. Though we were now getting 14.4 miles to the gallon. Distance total to destination was between 230 and 260.

Trip home, I left the trip computer alone and we didn't have near as much head wind and we stayed at about 14.4 miles to the gallon for the trip home. Put it on e-save charging for the drive home. 230ish miles and it charged to 60 percent.
Shoulda got a diesel broā€¦

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Jeep Wrangler 4xe has a curb weight ranging from 5,100 lbs to 5,222 lbs, depending on the trim level of choice, which compares to the Jeep Wrangler's curb weight that ranges from 3,948 lbs to 4,449 lbs. If you compare the heaviest 4xe to the heaviest Non-4Xe, there is a 773lbs difference.

I thought it was more like 600lbs, but hey... I know it's heavier enough to ride much better.
That makes sense. I liked the gladiator's ride over the JLU. A 4xe version of that would be nice. Less payload as a tradeoff

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Jeep Wrangler 4xe has a curb weight ranging from 5,100 lbs to 5,222 lbs, depending on the trim level of choice, which compares to the Jeep Wrangler's curb weight that ranges from 3,948 lbs to 4,449 lbs. If you compare the heaviest 4xe to the heaviest Non-4Xe, there is a 773lbs difference.

I thought it was more like 600lbs, but hey... I know it's heavier enough to ride much better.
The entire hybrid system adds about 500lbs.

Donā€™t forget the 4xe has some beefed up parts to handle the added power snd weight.

It shares most of the stuff with the 392 and the gladiator mohave. The 392 compared to the rubicon 4xe is about a 200lb difference.

392 = 5100lbs
4xe rubicon = 5300lbs

Not sure what the raw weights on the 2.0T vs the 392 motors, but I doubt itā€™s a huge difference, which means a significant portion of the weight is in drivetrain and suspension. Cliffs: itā€™s heavier because we got better shit.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
2023 4xe with 37s and 1200 miles on the odo. Left town with almost a full tank and 100 charge. Hit the freeway, set cruise to 81 and watched the "needle" drop like a rock. 140 miles later (with a big head wind) and we were well under 1/4 tank and averaging just over 10 mpg. 14.1 gallons later and we were back at it. Can't remember if I reset the trip at that point, but I think so. 11.2 miles to gallon later we were on red for our next stop (still at 81 mph). Filled "Earl" up again and were back at it. this time it was 70 and under to our destination miles away and on our third tank of gas. Though we were now getting 14.4 miles to the gallon. Distance total to destination was between 230 and 260.

Trip home, I left the trip computer alone and we didn't have near as much head wind and we stayed at about 14.4 miles to the gallon for the trip home. Put it on e-save charging for the drive home. 230ish miles and it charged to 60 percent.
Not sure if anyone already said it, but e-save battery charge is like lighting money on fire. That also killed your mpg for the return trip.

Sponsored

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
81mph !!! Well, first I think you bought the wrong vehicle.

Wranglers aren't built to be driven at that speed and be anywhere close to efficient. Second, you only have a very short electric range that goes down quick on the highway and at that speed. After that, you are carrying 600lbs of extra weight compared to a non-4Xe Wrangler.

When I have a quick long trip to take on the highway, we use my wife's Q5 that gets 30mpg at 90Mph. I would never even for a second, consider the wrangler for a long highway trip unless we are just overlanding and cruising at 60-65mph to destination no rush. For Country roads, no brainer but on a rush strictly highway... Not a chance.
I drive my Wrangler regularly on the highway at 80mph. And it's great for road trips. Maybe it's not the right vehicle for you?

Last edited:

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Not sure if anyone already said it, but e-save battery charge is like lighting money on fire. That also killed your mpg for the return trip.
Missed the e save charge part, yeah that will tank the mpgs. 45-55 mph seems to be the sweet spot if you are trying to add charge.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I've done several 2000-mile round trips in my stock Rubi 4xe (aside from LoD sliders and cargo security) and usually see steady 15mpg with a headwind at ~75+mph, same as our JLU 2.0t Sport w/Rubi take-offs. By adding 37s and going 80+mph you're lucky it wasn't gallons-per-mile instead of miles-per-gallon.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I wish they made it operate like a prius-style hybrid system after the battery is depleted.. The electric motors do nothing after the battery is empty right?

All said, my 3.6 v6 gets a respectable 19.5-20 mpg at highway trips @ 60-70mph sustained. This is after 35s, 2" lift and 4.56 gears. I am going to be ok with that for a long time until technology catches up and produces a no-compromise PHEV Wrangler/Gladiator in some years.
The 4xe battery is never depleted fully. Even a battery showing <1%, thereā€™s still 15% charge in the background being used like how a prius would be using it. So the battery is never completely ā€œdead weightā€, although the majority of the wrangler community will try to have you believe otherwise.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Google tells me it's 280lbs. Still dead weight at sustained highway speeds though. That's why the EPA hwy number is lower than just the 2.0L
A lot of sources have the stock Rubicon at 4,449 lbs and the stock 4xe Rubicon at 5,222 lbs, 773 lbs different. Hardtop vs soft top and steel bumpers vs plastic can probably sway that number.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I drive my Wrangler regularly on the highway at 80mph. And it's great for raod trips. Maybe it's not the right vehicle for you?
It totally is for my use, which is Country roads and roadtrips with the occasional offroad adventure. Regularly 80mph and it drives great tells a lot about your automotive experience or lack of it.

Got other means for speed and the wrangler sure as heck aint one of them.

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
It totally is for my use, which is Country roads and roadtrips with the occasional offroad adventure. Regularly 80mph and it drives great tells a lot about your automotive experience or lack of it.

Got other means for speed and the wrangler sure as heck aint one of them.
You're probably right. I've only been driving for 36 years, and about 20K a year. I didn't realize 80mph was so fast.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My bone-stock Sport S JLU 2.0T has gotten as high as 27 MPG on highway drives at about 70MPH. That's hand calculated, the on-board computer showed closer to 30. Usually can get at least 25 on the highway around here.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
I have almost the exact same setup and basically have the similar experiences, albeit I keep the cruise control at 70mph. Driving over 200-300 miles, the 4XE is going to average out at numbers closer to 392 gas mileage.

I had a '22 JLUR (V6) and i HATED it for daily driving especially when each tank was $100+.

Now with my '23 4XE, i love daily driving with it, but on long trips cost more to fuel up than a V6.

2000 miles on the odometer, 1300 local driving and 700 on trips. If it was the other way around, the 4XE would cost more to drive than the Pentastar, hahaha.
thank you for that! Itā€™s just what I was thinking. My beloved Rubicon 4xe is getting lemon-lawed and Iā€™m on the fence between giving the 4xe another shot in or stick with the proven v6:
- I think Iā€™ll spend plenty more gas $$$ around town/day-to-day with the v6, but itā€™s also a lot cheaper than the 4xe (no tax credit for me)
- the 4xe will drive better on highway given weight and center of gravity
- I enjoy driving in electric mode (had 3 PHEVs total)
- I can get a used v6 and build it to my liking (e.g. re-gear if not a rubi, add true-tracā€™s, sky-one touch and powered steps)

PS: sorry for derailing the focus. In any case my mileage with the Rubi 4xe on the highway has been pretty poor, yes. For MPGs on highway I think Diesel>2.0>3.6>4Xe in equal conditions/with same equipment.
Sponsored