Took the 4xe on its first road trip and the gas milage was a shock

ChadP

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Unlimited 4xe Rubicon
2023 4xe with 37s and 1200 miles on the odo. Left town with almost a full tank and 100 charge. Hit the freeway, set cruise to 81 and watched the "needle" drop like a rock. 140 miles later (with a big head wind) and we were well under 1/4 tank and averaging just over 10 mpg. 14.1 gallons later and we were back at it. Can't remember if I reset the trip at that point, but I think so. 11.2 miles to gallon later we were on red for our next stop (still at 81 mph). Filled "Earl" up again and were back at it. this time it was 70 and under to our destination miles away and on our third tank of gas. Though we were now getting 14.4 miles to the gallon. Distance total to destination was between 230 and 260.

Trip home, I left the trip computer alone and we didn't have near as much head wind and we stayed at about 14.4 miles to the gallon for the trip home. Put it on e-save charging for the drive home. 230ish miles and it charged to 60 percent.
Sponsored

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
2023 4xe with 37s and 1200 miles on the odo. Left town with almost a full tank and 100 charge. Hit the freeway, set cruise to 81 and watched the "needle" drop like a rock. 140 miles later (with a big head wind) and we were well under 1/4 tank and averaging just over 10 mpg. 14.1 gallons later and we were back at it. Can't remember if I reset the trip at that point, but I think so. 11.2 miles to gallon later we were on red for our next stop (still at 81 mph). Filled "Earl" up again and were back at it. this time it was 70 and under to our destination miles away and on our third tank of gas. Though we were now getting 14.4 miles to the gallon. Distance total to destination was between 230 and 260.

Trip home, I left the trip computer alone and we didn't have near as much head wind and we stayed at about 14.4 miles to the gallon for the trip home. Put it on e-save charging for the drive home. 230ish miles and it charged to 60 percent.
After lift and tires on ours we never get better on the hwy than 14.5-16mpg

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I get nearly 14 on my 392 on road trips. I'd have expected better from the 4XE, but to @GATORB8 's point, the headwind has tremendous effect on your gas mileage.
Yeah 17-18 here @70ish on my 392 and hwy but have lighter 35"s/wheels. Those headwinds would bring mine way down too.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe

80mph + 10-12mph headwind = similar efficiency to just cruising with your foot to the floor riding the 97mph governor.

I get about 8mpg at 97mph in my rubicon 4xe, that’s with some battery charge.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
81mph !!! Well, first I think you bought the wrong vehicle.

Wranglers aren't built to be driven at that speed and be anywhere close to efficient. Second, you only have a very short electric range that goes down quick on the highway and at that speed. After that, you are carrying 600lbs of extra weight compared to a non-4Xe Wrangler.

When I have a quick long trip to take on the highway, we use my wife's Q5 that gets 30mpg at 90Mph. I would never even for a second, consider the wrangler for a long highway trip unless we are just overlanding and cruising at 60-65mph to destination no rush. For Country roads, no brainer but on a rush strictly highway... Not a chance.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Wranglers aren't built to be driven at that speed and be anywhere close to efficient. Second, you only have a very short electric range that goes down quick on the highway and at that speed. After that, you are carrying 600lbs of extra weight compared to a non-4Xe Wrangler.

When I have a quick long trip to take on the highway, we use my wife's Q5 that gets 30mpg at 90Mph. I would never even for a second, consider the wrangler for a long highway trip unless we are just overlanding and cruising at 60-65mph to destination no rush. For Country roads, no brainer but on a rush strictly highway... Not a chance.
The speed limits out by OP are significantly higher than most of the US. I never thought I'd say a speed limit was too high, lol.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
80 mph, 37s (and a lift I assume?), and headwinds and we're ... surprised the mpg is bad? 😳

This has nothing to do with the 4xe, outside of the added annoyance of the small tank (which is an annoyance! Not discounting that part.). Putting 37s on a regular 4cyl truck and driving 80 will yield effectively the same mpg result.

On the stock Sahara 4xe wheels/tires my long trips at 70-75 mph yield 16-18 mpg, depending on the outside temp/winds. Don't discount the huge difference that much tire + lift makes.

OP
OP
ChadP

ChadP

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Unlimited 4xe Rubicon

We have several other car / truck options if we want to use them. We also could have taken the back way, which is all 2 lane 65 mph. This is the new and we were curious to see how it did up at speed. It wasn't just for gas milage, but also to see how the lift felt at speed, how the tires were balanced. etc. It was the 10mpg that did get my attention to start. All of the other reasons we took it weren't worth mentioning.

Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
My 2 door with manual transmission gets 17 MPG at 80 mph (not a recommended speed but often slower than the flow of traffic on our 75 mph highways). I'm on 32" tires. Yours sounds about right, those 37s are killer.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
We have several other car / truck options if we want to use them. We also could have taken the back way, which is all 2 lane 65 mph. This is the new and we were curious to see how it did up at speed. It wasn't just for gas milage, but also to see how the lift felt at speed, how the tires were balanced. etc. It was the 10mpg that did get my attention to start. All of the other reasons we took it weren't worth mentioning.
Ah ok, it all makes more sense then.... I too have learned a long time ago that long highway trips are not for the wrangler. One trip in particular was 6 hours long and done top and doorless. Needless to say that we got to destination completely beat as if that trip took 3 times as long.

So now I guess you know where to set the limits ;)

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

We took our 2.0L Sahara to Colorado the first winter after I got it. Sitting on Rubi take-off 33s and a 1.5" puck lift.

Averaged ~20-22 MPG on cruise if we kept it around 70 - once you kick over 70 is where I start to see a noticeable drop in efficiency.

All was gravy until we got on *that* stretch of I-25 from Raton to Colorado Springs. Same exact vehicle, but with UNREAL crosswinds brought that down to 14 MPG. Hadn't seen hood flutter on a JL until then. Also, having a semi fly by you at 70 MPH with that much wind is *TERRIFYING*

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I get nearly 14 on my 392 on road trips. I'd have expected better from the 4XE, but to @GATORB8 's point, the headwind has tremendous effect on your gas mileage.
Yeah 17-18 here @70ish on my 392 and hwy but have lighter 35"s/wheels. Those headwinds would bring mine way down too.
392 is just easily strolling at high speeds, headwinds require less effort to compensate, vs mashing the throttle on a struggling smaller engine. Power has it’s advantages in some instances (also towing). IE— company de rated the Cat in my Peterbilt to save fuel (experiment) MPG got worse and stayed worse. They tuned it back up and ordered the new tractors with more powerful engines, fleet average improved.

Last edited:

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

FWIW, I picked up an JLUR with the V6 and XR package in Nampa and drove it back home to Seattle. Granted I was trying to break it in, but I still averaged 16 MPG for the trip home. Most of the way was running 65-80 to vary engine speed and stay within the speed limits.
Sponsored