Took my JLUR for oil change and advised to do lube for brakes

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
My wrangler is at 20000km (V6 3.6) and took it for a second oil change today. They told me doing lube thingy for breaks once a year is good, it is kinda required. I know almost nothing about that stuff so I wonder if I got tricked lol. Also, they charged $180 CAD (~$135 USD ) for only this lube service. plus they charged $130 CAD for OIL change ($98 USD).

Jeep Wrangler JL Took my JLUR for oil change and advised to do lube for brakes 116429513_624582678262151_1140525516215644310_n
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sticking calipers is a real thing and doing service like that can prevent it, but it seems way premature to do it in your case. I typically do that when I have to replace pads/rotors. Disassembly and greasing(anti seize) keeps everything moving as it should.

Even doing it when replacing pads or rotors is likely more often than it needs done.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree there are certain parts in the disc brake system which need periodic lubrication, depending on environment and use. However I will only use Disc Brake specific lubrication (such as Sil-Glyde). Don't use too much, usually a thin coating is good and will last a long time.

The caliper guide pins: allows for the caliper to slide freely and without bind when the caliper piston squeezes the pads to the rotor. There are two on each JL caliper.

Backside (not friction surface/braking side) and the top and bottom edges of the pads: the backside is usually covered by a thin shim so I will lubricate between the shim and backside of pad to eliminate squealing/chattering. The top and bottom edges are the surfaces which ride in the caliper grooves and these grooves have small metal "pad clips" in them. By keeping this area lubricated, it allows the pads to move smoothly in the caliper. You can either lubricate the metal pad clips or the ends of the pad itself.

Within 5k miles, my stock brakes were squealing very bad. I lubricated the above listed areas and they have been quiet for the last 10k miles. I don't think they were lubricated at the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Took my JLUR for oil change and advised to do lube for brakes ph02

Sponsored

JJWALKER

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj7
Looks like part B you also installed new tires. I would think as long as your doing tires I would have also checked pad wear and rotor run out. With all that being good it would'nt hurt to lube calipers, pins and slides easy to do and as limeade said like his maybe yours were'nt lubed from the get go so Id be good with it. I don't have a service schedule but maybe its a maintenance thing at 10K. don't know. But ill tell you what you'd be pretty mad doing oil n tires then 200 miles down the road you'r R.rear caliper hangs up from no lube then its dragging then you cant figure it out then you go to the dealer then its $$$$ so money well spent for piece of mind and you said yourself you dont know jack bout it. Hey, if its a front one hanging up from no or little lube it'll pull depending on if its left or right and mpg goes down with a hanging caliper blah blah blah...so again imo money well spent and you had a good tech looking out for you. Calipers gotta be unbolted everything cleaned and lubed then put back together then torqued so imo 130$ 32.50 per wheel not that bad for the amount of work.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Looks like part B you also installed new tires. I would think as long as your doing tires I would have also checked pad wear and rotor run out. With all that being good it would'nt hurt to lube calipers, pins and slides easy to do and as limeade said like his maybe yours were'nt lubed from the get go so Id be good with it. I don't have a service schedule but maybe its a maintenance thing at 10K. don't know. But ill tell you what you'd be pretty mad doing oil n tires then 200 miles down the road you'r R.rear caliper hangs up from no lube then its dragging then you cant figure it out then you go to the dealer then its $$$$ so money well spent for piece of mind and you said yourself you dont know jack bout it. Hey, if its a front one hanging up from no or little lube it'll pull depending on if its left or right and mpg goes down with a hanging caliper blah blah blah...so again imo money well spent and you had a good tech looking out for you. Calipers gotta be unbolted everything cleaned and lubed then put back together then torqued so imo 130$ 32.50 per wheel not that bad for the amount of work.
@JJWALKER

But .... geeeez ...... I believe the OP only had 12,427 miles on his JL.

Seriously doubt that JL was in need of that front and rear brake work....

Unless the JL's owner is driving in lots of mud, etc. ...conditions that would make the JL a candidate for such service that for me seems really premature at 12,427 mi. on the odometer.

JJWALKER

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj7
l agree, 12,4 is nothing but then again new tires at 12,4...its a Rubicon...so maybe the op is using it like it was built to be used not just crawling speed bumps at the mall.
Maybe someone bolted up dry calipers at the factory and the tech caught it.
Builds on fridays and the day before and after a holiday a lot of things don't find its place down the line dry calipers just might've been that days special we'll never know.
Is it recommended in the maintenance schedule to do at 6k miles on a Rubicon....the ticket shows peace of mind service regular maintenance every 6 months or 10k kms. /6k miles. maybe on the Rubicon its a 12 month 12k mile once a year service l don't know but a rubicon service schedule should tell you.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
I get the brake service to keep things in top condition - that is what dealers do, but...

You needed new tires at 20,000 km (12,400 miles)?

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
I've got some beautiful beachfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. It is kinda required.
thanks! I don’t know why they mention it but I didn’t get new tires

Sponsored

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
I get the brake service to keep things in top condition - that is what dealers do, but...

You needed new tires at 20,000 km (12,400 miles)?
No I didn’t get new tires and have no clue why they mentioned that in the paper

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sounds like Canada's, Jeep Service Departments are as frucked up as the one's here in the USA.

You might want to seek out a service department that is more on the ball, lets say. Asshats put on invoice they installed new tires on your JL... geeeeez....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That would SERIOUSLY concern me. If they are marking stuff on your service ticket that they clearly did not do, what else did they not do?

I am a service writer btw.

The brake service was a bit overpriced but idk what a Canadian dollar is really worth.

Also, looks like they put 6 quarts of oil in, but maybe that is Liters? How many liters are in a quart?
Edit: oh no, I looked it up and they definitely way overfilled that.
The cost of your oil change was totally normal also. You could get it cheaper elsewhere but they aren't fleecing you.
Sponsored