Sponsored

Took doors off this weekend for the first time... loved it

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I need to get some mirrors so I can do this more often. I accidentally left the rear window rolled up on my Suntop and it poured overnight leaving a few inches of water inside the Jeep. So, it was a good time to pull the drain plugs, shop vac out what I could and then drive around with the doors off to air it out. What an odd sensation of driving with the doors off. I loved it.
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
It's definitely a fun feeling, just try to score some mirrors ASAP. I remember around 1990 my buddy and I were cruising around with his new Wrangler YJ and got stopped for having the doors off. The officer was young, and he said, "Excuse me, where are your doors?" My buddy answered, "Um, in my garage? As long as I have mirrors I'm legal," which of course he had. The officer went back to his car, presumably did his homework, and then let us go without a ticket LOL.

I love the looks you get from people when driving with the doors off - half look at you and smile, and the other half look at you like you're insane. LOL

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Driving with the doors off is the best, but yea definitely get some mirrors, it's a world of difference. I rented a JLU for a few days when I was in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone last year. I brought my hardtop bag and the little Jeep toolkit with me so that I could take the doors and freedom panels off the rental (because of course I did). The one thing I forgot... mirrors. But it wasn't that bad. Definitely not the safest move of all time, but then again neither was driving without doors on in general. It was a blast.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I can legally run without mirrors (state law only requires 1 rearview) but I personally don't like it, it's terrifying on multi-lane roads! Maybe I just haven't tried it enough...

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Tazer and use the back up cam. Best tech mod ever.
Sponsored