Too much caster?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I just got back from the alignment shop, and my total caster with the 2.5" lift and control arm setup is 10°. Should I back that down? I can go to either 8° or 6°. Three options with my setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crusifix

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does everything else look?

Screenshot_20200814-125702_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Caster is way to high. I aim for 6-6.5°. Toe is a touch high as well, probably not worth messing with but worth mentioning.

brett

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm at 6.2 degrees caster and it drives great. 10 seems really high and depending on how much lift you have the front pinion angle will be extreme.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How does everything else look?

Jeep Wrangler JL Too much caster? Screenshot_20200814-125702_Gallery
Imho ..... caster should be between 6 and 6.5 ish.... the problem with that much caster is your driveshaft isn’t going to like it when you’re in 4wd. Right now it’s not spinning so there’s no worries . When you’re in 4wd and going down a trail you’ll probably have a vibration. Also depending on height of your lift, the collar on the driveshaft ( if it’s stock) at the transfer case is gonna get all bent up. But these are just my opinions.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Crusifix

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I will return them to the prealignment setting.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For the past year I have been running the AEV 2" spacer lift on my JLUR w/ the Teraflex fixed Sport LCA's for added caster. (they are a tad longer than the MOPAR lift LCA's). 35" KO's. My caster is 8.5. Really the only time I'm in 4H is during deep snow winter driving so really no big articulation rock crawling. I have never had vibration in 4H. Not sure if it's in my head, but I always felt my jeep's steering was better after I lifted it and added the longer LCA's.

My logic w/ going Teraflex Fixed Sport LCA's over the MOPAR lift LCA's was this: My stock Rubicon's suspicion is 1.5" inches taller than Sports/Saharah's to begin with. Adding a 2" spacer lift on top of the Rubicon OE suspension in turn gives me 3.5" of lift over stock Sports. Teraflex indicates these LCA's are ideal for 2.5" of lift but the range is 1.50" to 3.50".

Here is my question: Since going approx. 12 months w/ no driveline issues am I good? Will I eventually see issues at 8.5 caster? Considering my LCA's are fixed, should I try to dial in my caster w/ adjustable upper control arms? Should I drop the $60 and switch out my LCA's for the MOPAR lift LCA's to dial the caster down?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
For the past year I have been running the AEV 2" spacer lift on my JLUR w/ the Teraflex fixed Sport LCA's for added caster. (they are a tad longer than the MOPAR lift LCA's). 35" KO's. My caster is 8.5. Really the only time I'm in 4H is during deep snow winter driving so really no big articulation rock crawling. I have never had vibration in 4H. Not sure if it's in my head, but I always felt my jeep's steering was better after I lifted it and added the longer LCA's.

My logic w/ going Teraflex Fixed Sport LCA's over the MOPAR lift LCA's was this: My stock Rubicon's suspicion is 1.5" inches taller than Sports/Saharah's to begin with. Adding a 2" spacer lift on top of the Rubicon OE suspension in turn gives me 3.5" of lift over stock Sports. Teraflex indicates these LCA's are ideal for 2.5" of lift but the range is 1.50" to 3.50".

Here is my question: Since going approx. 12 months w/ no driveline issues am I good? Will I eventually see issues at 8.5 caster? Considering my LCA's are fixed, should I try to dial in my caster w/ adjustable upper control arms? Should I drop the $60 and switch out my LCA's for the MOPAR lift LCA's to dial the caster down?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I’m in the same boat. What did you end up doing about your 8.5 castor?
Sponsored